Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh Geeze, Maybe Pox
hwichlaz 08:31 AM 08-04-2017
Little one coming up with blisters on her belly when I changed her diaper this morning. She's been here all week though so everyone's already been exposed. Luckily everyone's old enough to have had at least one varivax so if that is what it is, then it'll be a mild epidemic, lol.

Am I the only one not noticing a real reduction in chicken pox since the vaccine became mandatory? I am noticing that the cases seem more mild though.
Leigh 08:54 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Little one coming up with blisters on her belly when I changed her diaper this morning. She's been here all week though so everyone's already been exposed. Luckily everyone's old enough to have had at least one varivax so if that is what it is, then it'll be a mild epidemic, lol.

Am I the only one not noticing a real reduction in chicken pox since the vaccine became mandatory? I am noticing that the cases seem more mild though.
I have not seen nor heard of a child with chicken pox in MANY years. Vaccination rates here are very high, and I'm sure that contributes to that, but I haven't heard of a kid that I know with chicken pox in so long that I can't remember the last one.
Josiegirl 09:12 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have not seen nor heard of a child with chicken pox in MANY years. Vaccination rates here are very high, and I'm sure that contributes to that, but I haven't heard of a kid that I know with chicken pox in so long that I can't remember the last one.
Same here, not since my own kids had it maybe 20 yrs. ago.
hwichlaz 10:45 AM 08-04-2017
That's so funny. I actually had one child catch the vaccina virus (what they call it when the virus is caught from a live vaccine). She came in about 12 days after her vax with spots. Super mild because it's a weaker version of the virus, but she was kind enough to pass it along to all of her little friends. The other kids had more spots that her, but no one felt really ill. The doctor just said it was a rare, but relatively harmless side effect.
finsup 10:53 AM 08-04-2017
My son got a very mild version, like a few pox and it was done with. The doctor actually said well, it's either chicken pox or hfm so they don't even know for sure it was chicken pox lol. But I've been working with kiddos for 16 years and he's the first that I know of to have it (he's had the vax, but he got it like a year after having it). The last case before that was me and my friends in the late 80s when we had a "chicken pox party" lol.

Hopefully it will be mild and short lived for anyone that gets it!
Ariana 11:13 AM 08-04-2017
Super common to get a flare up of chicken pox from the vaccine. I just had a child in my care with it and mom didn't tell me she had her vaccine. Luckily no one else got it including my own unvaccinated kids. If a child is vaccinated and they have a flare up it is usually very mild but is still highly contagious!
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 08-04-2017
Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I have had a child come down with it. Vaccination rates are high here, too, since they are mandatory for school attendance.
sharlan 01:33 PM 08-04-2017
I haven't had a case of chicken pox in my daycare since 1985 when I had 4 get it, one right after the other.
e.j. 02:47 PM 08-04-2017
I haven't seen a case of chicken pox since my kids were young. One of the dc kids at that time brought it in and everyone, including my own kids, got it. It was just before the vaccine became mandatory.
hwichlaz 05:44 PM 08-04-2017
I kept missing it as a kid, we moved a lot. I was finally exposed at 8th-grade graduation.
Tags:vaccinations
Reply Up