Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Throwing a 1.5 Year Old With 3 Year Olds?
newtodaycare22 06:12 PM 10-19-2010
Right now all of my dck are 3's because I do a preschool program. I'm taking my friend's 18 month baby a few mornings a week shortly, as a favor to her. It will be part time and only part of the day...but does anyone have a combination of ages similar to this? I'd love any suggestions about making the activities work for all of them.
JJPlaycare 06:32 PM 10-19-2010
Ha, I had to read your thread title a few times, the throwing through me way off! LOL Then I opened and read it.... I have 6 three year olds and then I have three 1.5 year olds! I do not do a preschool program, but I do do projects and learning activities and I include the little ones as much as possible, but sometimes there are things that they don't get involved in! I think it works out fine and the older kids are always looking out for the little ones!
sierrastreasures 06:50 PM 10-19-2010
I have a two year old that doesn't seem to mind playing by himself which is perfect since my other dcks are 3s and 4. It was a learning experience at first but the way I have my dc arranged now is perfect.

Since the older children put back toys when their finished their area stays relatively clean and clutter free, while the 2 year old seems to like pulling all the toys off the shelf.

What I did was section off an area for the 2 year old bu filling plastic shelving with appropriate toys for his age. At first he tried to sneak into the big kids area but now he knows he has his own area and is quite content playing.

Also when his brother (4 years old) acts up instead of time out he has to play with his brother which is perfect for both.
ddnanny13 07:22 AM 10-20-2010
I have 2 2 year olds, a 3 1/2, and a 4 1/2 year old. My activities all have a theme and then the specific thing is catered to their age. For example today we are doing things that start with the letter "b" The 2 year olds are still developing language so we practice saying and emphasizing the "b" sound. The older 2 who are about the same developmentally practice matching objects that start with "b" to the letter, then practice writing it and finding it within the alphabet. During circle time we sing a lot and then there are parts of each song that are for the older 2 and parts for the younger. Say the song "10 in a Bed" for example, the older 2 work on the countdown part where the younger 2 do the roll over part although still get the benefit of counting as well. Does that ramble make sense?
newtodaycare22 08:44 AM 10-20-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
Ha, I had to read your thread title a few times, the throwing through me way off! LOL Then I opened and read it.... I have 6 three year olds and then I have three 1.5 year olds! I do not do a preschool program, but I do do projects and learning activities and I include the little ones as much as possible, but sometimes there are things that they don't get involved in! I think it works out fine and the older kids are always looking out for the little ones!
hahaha sorry for the confusion
Tags:age appropriate, age groups, mixed ages
Reply Up