Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Picking Up Kids From The Day Care
Unregistered 07:47 AM 04-05-2012
Hello, I am a Day Care provider. I have a small home based business, taking care of 4-7 kids at the time. I was wondering if you have a special rules or policy about how parents should pick their kids up. Here is my situation. Most of the time when parents arrive we are playing outside, at the fenced in playground. When kids see their parents of course they get excited. One of the boys always starts running around, grabbing toys from other kids, etc. I always have to explain to his mom that during the day her child acts differently. Yesterday he jumped from the bench right in front of her. I am trying to be nice, not asking to leave right away, but I worry about his safety and safety of other kids. What should I do? Should parents be responsible for their kids when they come to pick them up? Thanks!
Unregistered 08:55 AM 04-05-2012
Yes...all kids behave differently in front of their parents and I've come to terms with stepping in and reminding a child in front of a parent if they are behaving badly. With some parents they just can't see any 'wrong' in their child. I would say things like " billy, you know we don't take toys from our friends. You have to wait your turn.". Or "Sam, you may not jump off bench. That is not safe" and hopefully after a few times of correcting their kids in front of them they will get it...or maybe not! LOL. Good luck!
cheerfuldom 09:59 AM 04-05-2012
read this

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...in-daycare.htm

pickups should be short and sweet. if you daycare kid cannot handle that, put a spot for him to sit and wait until mom is ready to leave. you tell him what he is to do because clearly, you are stepping back and mom is stepping back and that signals to him that for a few minutes, no one is in charge. Kids sense things quick so dont underestimate what they can figure out
3girls 07:39 AM 04-06-2012
Once the parent is there they are in charge.
Reply Up