Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Affording Licensing??
Unregistered 02:51 PM 12-09-2016
I currently watch one girl, and am wanting to get licensed for more. The problem is that I can't afford all the licensing requirements (let alone rent) with just one kid. I have had her for 2 years and don't want to get another job while in this process, but I also don't want to loose my house because of it!
Is there any work at home jobs I can do to keep myself a float? How long does the process usually take? How much does it usually cost?
I am in Colorado if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
TXhomedaycare 03:56 PM 12-09-2016
I would check and see the maximum amount of unrelated kids you can watch in your state and start there. If you can watch 2 or 3 do that and save a little money to get started. In Texas it cost about $50 to register and pay for the background check. You can start your training after you are approved and depending on the kind of license you might need to get CPR and First Aid certified. Besides that I think that is all I did besides create play room with my kids toys and safety proof my house (light socket covers, safety gate etc. but some of it wasn't required I just did it on my own to close of the areas I didn't want the kids to use. There is nothing that says you can't babysit kids at night or on the weekends to save up enough to do daycare. The Texas childcare website gives you all the forms and even a small contract to use and they have some of the training online for free through a local college. Check out your states website and see what they provide for you. Watch kids 2 and up because they need less supplies than babies. I think sometimes people think you need a lot to get started but just do the bare minimum and then add things over time as you need them. Good luck!
Unregistered 04:58 PM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I would check and see the maximum amount of unrelated kids you can watch in your state and start there. If you can watch 2 or 3 do that and save a little money to get started. In Texas it cost about $50 to register and pay for the background check. You can start your training after you are approved and depending on the kind of license you might need to get CPR and First Aid certified. Besides that I think that is all I did besides create play room with my kids toys and safety proof my house (light socket covers, safety gate etc. but some of it wasn't required I just did it on my own to close of the areas I didn't want the kids to use. There is nothing that says you can't babysit kids at night or on the weekends to save up enough to do daycare. The Texas childcare website gives you all the forms and even a small contract to use and they have some of the training online for free through a local college. Check out your states website and see what they provide for you. Watch kids 2 and up because they need less supplies than babies. I think sometimes people think you need a lot to get started but just do the bare minimum and then add things over time as you need them. Good luck!
Thanks! You can only have one family unrelated here :/ I have this one full time, about 9 hours a day. I already have my home set up with toys, a playroom, and a nap room. I don't think I need any items to start up, but the training/application cost is what I'm worried about.. plus just making it day to day!
mommiebookworm 11:29 AM 12-10-2016
Check with your local child care resource and referral agency. They might have funding available to help you. I was at a training class in Fort Lupton In November. There was someone there from United Way of Weld County. Weld County has a ton of grant money to help people get licensed. Maybe the county youre in has grants available.
Just google child care referral for your county.
CityGarden 07:46 PM 12-10-2016
I highly suggest dog sitting.... you can set your limits in terms of breed size, if you want to board them in your own home or do home visits to them, do daycare, overnight care, dog walking, etc.!

Rover
http://refer.rover.com/v2/share/6362681859493501356

Dog Vacay
www.dogvacay.com/pro/smalldogcottage

Both of those are referral links and I do get credit for them!

It is a great stream of secondary income and I am personally shocked that people will spend more $$$ to board their pets without complaint but complain about the cost of daycare for their children. There is no start up fee, just write a good profile, upload some pictures and if you want do some light marketing.

Other options:
freelance writing
babysitting on sites like sittercity.com and care.com
Offer errand services
Sell items you no longer need on craigslist / offer up / facebook groups

It can be a pain in the short term but at least you work toward the rent....
sammie 08:09 PM 12-10-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I currently watch one girl, and am wanting to get licensed for more. The problem is that I can't afford all the licensing requirements (let alone rent) with just one kid. I have had her for 2 years and don't want to get another job while in this process, but I also don't want to loose my house because of it!
Is there any work at home jobs I can do to keep myself a float? How long does the process usually take? How much does it usually cost?
I am in Colorado if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
Here is the link for licensing of Family Childcare Homes in Colorado. http://www.coloradoofficeofearlychil...ychildcarehome

It has links to licensing fees and fingerprint fees. There is also a link for approved training vendors (and their fees) to receive the training you need prior to becoming licensed. I did most of mine through Red Rocks Community College. It states that after you submit your application it takes approximately 90 days to receive your license. I am in Colorado also. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help!
Reply Up