Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CPS & Licensing Was Called On US.....Really?!?
Christina72684 10:12 AM 10-01-2012
We've NEVER had any sort of accident, reports made to State, etc at all in the year and a half we've been opened.....then out of the blue a kid's grandma (who was a DC provider for 20 years) called and warned us that another family called licensing and CPS on us because her one-year-old (who started walking too early and is very unstable) fell and his his head on something which caused a bruise and a small cut.

She told licensing that we're always under staff (lie b/c we always have more people than what's required), we don't have a fence (lie b/c you can't be a licensed daycare without one), and one day she picked up her kid in the evening and the daycare worker was asleep on the couch (MAJOR lie b/c how in the world would that happen with all the kids running around?!)

She's also 42 years old with 4 kids ages 1-17 and has had them in a total of 6 daycares! Wish I woulda known that before I accepted them! What burns me the most is she never once complained to us at all. She even said he's accident prone and falls all the time at home!

Of course we have like 6-7 DC families that are all friends, family, work together, or somehow interconnected and one of them came up to me a few days later and told me that she and the other families knew and they were on our side. She even said she's afraid to have the older brother over to play with her child because if he gets hurt, the mom might call CPS on her. Thank goodness the other families understand. I don't know what's this lady's problem but she never came back after that day and I don't care if she ever does.
Blackcat31 10:38 AM 10-01-2012
(((hugs))) for having to deal with that on top of what you already have going on.

Let me guess...does this mom owe you money by any chance? Or maybe she has found cheaper care and wants out of the two week notice?

Seems as though 99% of the calls to CPS are from parents who didn't get their way or want their way and the provider isn't budging.

Hang in there. Your reputation will speak for itself.
blandino 11:35 AM 10-01-2012
Big hugs. We had this happen in June. A little girl was hit by a ball, and it left a pink mark on her eye. I explained the situation very thoroughly to mom, she seemed to understand - saying "things happen". The next day she texted to say "do you have any idea what happened to her eye ?". We called and said - we told you yesterday - she was hit with a ball. DCM said she now had two black eyes and abrasions and her ped said it was from hitting something. She said she was pulling her, but didn't believe anything bad happened, but you weren't watching her closely enough - since no one can tell me how this happened. (We had told her three times - and I can tell you with 100% certainty that she was not in that condition when she left daycare - no black eyes, no abrasions).

So CPS and DHS show up the next day. Apparently the moms complaints were for "supervision" - but because there was a mark on the child - they had to investigate abuse. DCM had told them that we offered no explanation for her red eye. Luckily we had both a text where we said what happened, and a picture of the little girl and her pink/red eye.

We were absolutely devastated, and thought of shutting down. But time gave us perspective. The only remaining irritation was that it has been over 90 days, with still no news from CPS or DHS (they had 60 days to finish the investigation).

Hopefully my story makes you feel like you are not alone. I can totally understand where you are coming from. I'm here if you ever need anything.
itlw8 11:45 AM 10-01-2012
I was reported last summer. a 4 yr old was bit when he pushed down a 2 yr old.

She claimed lack of supervision. looking back she asked him where I was and he said in the kitchen. She thought upstairs in our family kitchen. I was in the childcare kitchenette. maybe 10 steps from the boys and only for a minute at most.

I told dad at pick up .... well I was sited for that, seems the regulation can mean ( if a parent complains) I have to contact the parent immediately for any little injury or scratch.

The investigator did say to ALWAYS take a picture as who know what will happen after the child is picked up. They did say I could have parents sign something stating I could tell them about injuries at pick up if it was not serious. but COVER YOUR BUTT
mom2many 12:09 PM 10-01-2012
Hugs to you! I have never had CPS called, but have had a parent make up a ridiculous complaint that was an outright lie. He had bounced around from many dc homes. Later I found out that he had pulled a similar incident on a previous provider. I'd wished there was some kind of list for providers to use that would red flag a person like this for our protection!

It never affected my business and the families I was currently watching stood behind me and even wrote letters to licensing on my behalf. It's stressful and unfortunate that their are individuals like this in our society. Hang in there!
providerandmomof4 12:30 PM 10-01-2012
I had a complaint last year.....against my dd for pinching. Seems that (estranged) dcm who didn't have custody, and whom I'd never met decided to call cps after dcg told her my dd had pinched her. Really? Dcm was trying to regain custody and I was a pawn in her game I guess. What did I learn...you can't control other people, just do the best you can. The complaint was closed and worker advised although it sounded ridiculous, she had to investigate. I would certainly think twice about taking a dck whose parents are in a custody battle where one wants dc and the other doesn't.
Reply Up