Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>How to Start a Daycare Center?
ellamaynard 11:44 PM 08-18-2015
I am a looking to start a daycare center in Saint Louis. I have got good positive responses from moms around the area and they all are supportive of my proposal. How can I have a start?
Michael 12:54 PM 08-19-2015
Welcome to the forum! Here is a helpful thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31166
ellamaynard 10:49 PM 08-19-2015
Thank you for the information Michael. This is really helpful for me and you have explained it for me with details.
gapka333 12:26 AM 03-19-2016
Hi, I am planning to open daycare in CA. On the daycare.com under California there is said that requirements for teacher are:
"Must be at least 18 with 12 postsecondary units in early childhood education or child development and have 6 months experience; or hold a current and valid CDA and have 6 months on-the-job training and/or work experience; or hold a Children's Center Permit issued by the CA Commission for Teacher Preparation and Licensing."

Is it true? I didn't find any mentioning of this in regulations or licensing documentation. Is this requirement apply also for Home based daycare or only for Centers?
Please, if anyone can explain this? Thank you!
Michael 02:08 AM 03-20-2016
Welcome to the forum! You can find the clarification here which appears to apply to Center based childcare:
101216.1 TEACHER QUALIFICATIONS
http://www.ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/CCCRe...Highlights.pdf

A teacher shall have completed with passing grades a least six postsecondary semester units of specified early childhood education classes, or have a valid Child Development Assistant permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. A teacher hired with six units must complete at least two additional units each semester until fully qualified. A fully qualified teacher shall have 12 postsecondary semester units in early childhood education from an accredited college and six months of work experience in a licensed Child Care Center or similar program. The units specified shall include courses covering child growth and development; child, family and community; and program/curriculum. A teacher shall complete 15 hours of health and safety training, if necessary.

For a Large Family Daycare:
102369 APPLICATION FOR INITIAL LICENSE
When applying for a license as a large family child care home, substantiation that the provider has at least one year of experience as a regulated small family child care home operator; or one year of experience as an administrator or director of, or as a teacher at, a licensed child care center.

For Family Childcare:
http://ccld.ca.gov/Res/pdf/WAIT.pdf
1. You must live in the home where you want to do child care.
2. You may have to make some modifications to your home, particularly if
you have a pool or hot tub.
3. You and any adult living or working in your home must submit your
fingerprints for a criminal record check and a Child Abuse Index check and
must have a TB test.
4. You will have to take 15 hours of preventive health and safety training.
gapka333 10:06 PM 03-20-2016
Thank you Michael! You are very helpful!
ColeD586 01:16 PM 03-29-2016
Afternoon! I am planning on opening a day care center (not home based) in Louisiana next year. I have worked at a daycare before, so I do feel as far as the day to day activities/menus/naptime, etc I am confident. It is more of the back office work, the forms, the licenses, the teacher qualifications, state requirements, etc that I am looking for information on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Michael 02:02 PM 03-29-2016
Originally Posted by ColeD586:
Afternoon! I am planning on opening a day care center (not home based) in Louisiana next year. I have worked at a daycare before, so I do feel as far as the day to day activities/menus/naptime, etc I am confident. It is more of the back office work, the forms, the licenses, the teacher qualifications, state requirements, etc that I am looking for information on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the forum. Louisiana state requirements are here: https://www.daycare.com/louisiana/
Febby 06:28 PM 03-29-2016
Originally Posted by ColeD586:
Having worked as an assistant director before, I can tell you that you'll really want to just read and memorize all your state regulations. Even the ones you think don't apply to you. A lot of the forms and minimum qualifications are probably in there somewhere.

Also, wow, Louisiana has high ratios!
Tags:starting a daycare
Reply Up