Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Claiming Meals for Infant?
Sunchimes 03:30 PM 07-17-2016
I remember from previous infants in my care that with the ones whose formula required thickening agents (special needs kids), I could claim a meal deduction if I furnished any part of the meal. So, even though I didn't furnish the formula, I did furnish the thickening agents.

So, now that I have my first typical infant, I'm wondering if I can claim a meal deduction if I furnish the bottled water that I use to make his bottles. It seems a bit petty, but bottled water adds up when you use almost one a day.

Thanks.
Michael 04:04 PM 07-17-2016
More meal deduction threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...uction+-+meals
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 07-18-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I remember from previous infants in my care that with the ones whose formula required thickening agents (special needs kids), I could claim a meal deduction if I furnished any part of the meal. So, even though I didn't furnish the formula, I did furnish the thickening agents.

So, now that I have my first typical infant, I'm wondering if I can claim a meal deduction if I furnish the bottled water that I use to make his bottles. It seems a bit petty, but bottled water adds up when you use almost one a day.

Thanks.
Even if you don't supply the formula but you serve the bottle to the infant you CAN still claim it.

"Infants who are enrolled for child care must have access to CACFP meals. Meals served to infants from birth up to seven months that contain only bottled breast milk provided by the parent or iron-fortified formula provided by the parent or caregiver, may be claimed for reimbursement if they are served by the provider" (~page 23 of the USDA CACFP Guide)

The bottled water should just be a write off, I would assume but I DO know you CAN claim the meals/formula bottles (supplied by parent) on the food program.
Sunchimes 12:41 PM 07-19-2016
I'm not on the good program. I just meant on my income tax.
TomCopeland 08:43 AM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm not on the good program. I just meant on my income tax.
You are always better off financially by joining the Food Program. Whether you are on the Food Program or not, you can deduct food expenses in the same way as if you were on it.
Sunchimes 04:01 PM 07-20-2016
Ok. Thank you. I'll start claiming them. I'm a listed home so not allowed on the food program.
Tags:deduction - meals
Reply Up