Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New LNL in MN & I Have Questions
Honeybear1981 07:29 PM 11-16-2016
Hello all! I'm very new to this site & being a child care provider in general. There's a single mom at my church who needs a sitter for her 2 year old. I expressed interest in the job since I'm looking to leave my current place of employment. My problem is I have no idea what to charge. I'm not licensed & from what I understand with my research is that under MN law I can be a legal non licensed (LNL) child care provider. She wants to pay me $2.15/hour & I think that's just too little because we (it's just husband & I) have bills to pay just like she does & I don't want to break her bank but at the same time I can't put us in a bad position either. I'm feeling completely lost & frustrated & would appreciate any help or advice.
Play Care 03:17 AM 11-17-2016
Honestly, it sounds as if she wants to pay day care wages and get nanny service.

I want to say that in my State (NY) I think nannies have to get paid minimum wage. Not a ton but still much more than $2 per hour.

I wouldn't quit a FT job with benefits to babysit.
If you decide to quit to become a nanny, make sure you look into the laws in your State for nannying and advertise as such.
If you chose to quit to become a Child Care Provider, first look into the need in your area. Some places are overly saturated with day cares and you will struggle to fill spots or find the "good" families. Some places have a great need, but the pay scale is too low to make it worthwhile.

Good Luck!
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 11-17-2016
Originally Posted by Honeybear1981:
Hello all! I'm very new to this site & being a child care provider in general. There's a single mom at my church who needs a sitter for her 2 year old. I expressed interest in the job since I'm looking to leave my current place of employment. My problem is I have no idea what to charge. I'm not licensed & from what I understand with my research is that under MN law I can be a legal non licensed (LNL) child care provider. She wants to pay me $2.15/hour & I think that's just too little because we (it's just husband & I) have bills to pay just like she does & I don't want to break her bank but at the same time I can't put us in a bad position either. I'm feeling completely lost & frustrated & would appreciate any help or advice.
I am in MN and I think what she is offering you is more than fair.

Standard state reimbursable rates for LNL providers in MN are around $1.50 and hour your area.
https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv.../DHS-6441B-ENG

If you were an independent contractor and hired as a nanny then I would definitely expect a higher wage with a different job description but as a LNL provider, you aren't going to net much more than the above pay.

You can of course charge what ever you want but if the family can't afford to pay it, they aren't going to be able to pay more. Licensed provider rates in the same area are around $2.25 an hour.
Sumshine 06:51 PM 12-21-2016
Im in MN too! I live in a smaller town 45 mins north of Minneapolis to give you an idea as care is largely priced by area here! The closer to the cities you get the more expensive you pay! Before I became licensed I took care of 1 families children unlicensed and charged 20$ a day per child regardless of age. I watched 2 brother 6mo and 6yrs and they dropped them off to me daily and picked them up as I had my 2 year old son as well. If I had to go to them I'd charge more but since they came to me I charged 20$ each. They knew I wasn't making bank off the care and that obviously I was not going to be doing any expensive activities over the summer with them just hanging at the house and playing and doing light inexpensive crafts, learning games I had, etc. I also knew at some point in the near future I wanted to become a licensed provider so I informed them prices would increase at that time. If you don't agree with the rate of pay maybe negotiate a week paid vacation and paid holidays or something or else ask for higher pay without those benefits. Prior to being licensed I was very casual about it I didn't make my parent pay for any holidays, sick days, etc.
Tags:finances, minnesota, need - advice, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up