Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Power Outage Questions
Sumshine 12:33 PM 03-14-2017
What do you all do whem the power goes out? It happened here and I was quoted 2-3 hours until it would be up and running from the energy company. I decided it was probably best to just close for the day! I couldn't finish the lunch I was making and I'm in MN so no heat when the power goes out and right now its under 20° out.

I texted all parents to pick up a little before noon. I spoke with some other providers around me and they made it sound like I was crazy for closing up shop. I'm fairly new to this (almost 4 months in) and I just assumed no power for more than an hour is not an appropriate environment to run daycare?

The power was restored after 45 minutes and no children had been picked up yet so I texted all parents advising them that it came back earlier than quoted and we would proceed as normal and explained if in route to come get their children they are welcome to come get them or they are welcome to stay and apologized for any inconvenience.

Also what would you do about the parents? I'm a little upset that none of them came in a timely fashion to come get their kids when I asked! Even though this time was luckily a quick resolution that doesn't mean that every time is a quick resolution! I asked them to pick them up as soon as possible and they clearly didn't. My infant's parents never even responded to me! I sent them both out 3 texts total 1st stating the power was out and I was going to to keep everyone updated but may have to close, 2nd saying I was quoted 3 hours and am requesting everyone pick up kids as soon as possible, and the 3rd (45-50 mins after the 1st) stating all is well now. It's been 2 hours now and they haven't said a word. Also had another parent literally just send me an emoji back with the fingers making the "okay" sign to all my texts. Only 1 parent said "Okay I will have DH pick kids up" as she couldn't leave work at the time. Is this normal????

I am feeling a little disrespected to be completely honest and want to send out a letter stating if I ask you to pick your children up you need to do so and communicate with me what your plan is and ETA of getting them! I just want to make sure I am not overreacting or being too sensitive about the situation.
Unregistered 12:46 PM 03-14-2017
In my handbook I have stated that I will call for immediate pick up should I have no electricity and/or water for more than one hour due to health and sanitation reasons and that if parents cannot come within 30 minutes to one hour they must send another authorized person to pick up. I also do not refund or prorate for the day should I need to close since it was under circumstances beyond my control. This also applies to closures due to the weather.
Blackcat31 12:50 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
What do you all do whem the power goes out? It happened here and I was quoted 2-3 hours until it would be up and running from the energy company. I decided it was probably best to just close for the day! I couldn't finish the lunch I was making and I'm in MN so no heat when the power goes out and right now its under 20° out.

I texted all parents to pick up a little before noon. I spoke with some other providers around me and they made it sound like I was crazy for closing up shop. I'm fairly new to this (almost 4 months in) and I just assumed no power for more than an hour is not an appropriate environment to run daycare?

The power was restored after 45 minutes and no children had been picked up yet so I texted all parents advising them that it came back earlier than quoted and we would proceed as normal and explained if in route to come get their children they are welcome to come get them or they are welcome to stay and apologized for any inconvenience.

Also what would you do about the parents? I'm a little upset that none of them came in a timely fashion to come get their kids when I asked! Even though this time was luckily a quick resolution that doesn't mean that every time is a quick resolution! I asked them to pick them up as soon as possible and they clearly didn't. My infant's parents never even responded to me! I sent them both out 3 texts total 1st stating the power was out and I was going to to keep everyone updated but may have to close, 2nd saying I was quoted 3 hours and am requesting everyone pick up kids as soon as possible, and the 3rd (45-50 mins after the 1st) stating all is well now. It's been 2 hours now and they haven't said a word. Also had another parent literally just send me an emoji back with the fingers making the "okay" sign to all my texts. Only 1 parent said "Okay I will have DH pick kids up" as she couldn't leave work at the time. Is this normal????
The only regulations we have from licensing is that your house must maintain a minimum temp in order to remain open.

Regulations in regards to water state only that we must have running water. Hot water is not a requirement.

I am feeling a little disrespected to be completely honest and want to send out a letter stating if I ask you to pick your children up you need to do so and communicate with me what your plan is and ETA of getting them! I just want to make sure I am not overreacting or being too sensitive about the situation.
This is what my handbook says about this:

Emergency Closures

There is always the possibility of emergency closures due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.

Closures due to loss of heat (in winter months) and/or loss of air conditioning (in summer months) or electricity outages (any time of year), the child care legally MUST close.

If extreme weather dictates early closures for safety reasons, parents will be notified immediately.

In all cases of closure due to these types of situations; all children will be required to be picked-up within 60 minutes of initial notice. Late fees will automatically apply to any child not picked up within the given time frame.

Blackcat31 12:53 PM 03-14-2017
Oh, and ANY time I send a text or e-mail to the parent I end it with: "Please reply so that I know this message was received. If no response is sent within the next X minutes, emergency contacts will be contacted/notified. Thank you!"
LysesKids 12:54 PM 03-14-2017

Here it is law that I have to close and all children go home if power will be out more than an hour (I call the city office & get an estimate); I have NO way to heat, cook or get hot water & all my charges are under 15 month - I fine parents heavily for refusal to pick up in the allotted time in a power outage because it is a safety issue. No answer at all would have me terminating that family because I must have a way to contact them or a back up person @ all times.

What if your roof caved in? Or you had to evacuate immediately due to flooding (it happened to me in AR 2011). My families parked up an un-flooded road & came down to the back of house which was more uphill than front & we passed 5 babies thru a window before the water got thru the front door. Other daycares weren't as lucky as I was, but 2 days later we had to evacuate again when they turned gas back on & there was a leak IN THE NAP ROOM... parents weren't happy but they all showed up within 30 minutes to find all of us sitting in a wet driveway without shoes. Thank goodness AR made it mandatory to have a go kit ready for the kids. My front yard had been a lake 24 hrs earlier because of how the house was set.
AmyKidsCo 01:24 PM 03-14-2017
I stay open as long as I can provide care within the licensing regs.

In MI we were without power for 2 days. It was spring so not too cold, we had running water, the phone worked, and the stove was gas so I could cook. We got a cooler and ice for the cold food and I stayed open those days. It was kind of fun - for 2 days. I wouldn't want to do it longer than that!
Sumshine 01:44 PM 03-14-2017
Thanks for the tips! Next time I request any pick up I guess I will be VERY specific about a time frame and request a reply with a game plan of who is gerring the kiddos and when!

I guess I did what I felt was best in the situation and that's all you can do! I just wish my parents would use their common sense and courtesy for situations like this!
organicdclady 03:08 PM 03-14-2017
Our power went out today, too. Right as I started lunch. Thankfully I have a gas stove so I was able to get lunch done. I live in Southern CA, it is 88 degrees here today (I'm not trying to rub it in-so sorry for all the bad weather others are experiencing)
My gas co said we would be about two hours with no power. I knew we would be fine so I wouldn't have closed, but it came back within 30 min anyway.
The only suggestion I have to offer is to call the cell phone then the work phone if you don't receive a response to a text within x amount of time, depending on the severity of the info youre trying to relay.
daycarediva 05:26 AM 03-15-2017
No power, no heat (or ac, although it's not a huge issue in my area as we rarely get hot enough to reach that limit), no hot water, no daycare. (state regs)

I also close in a state of emergency and/or travel ban.
Tags:power outage
Reply Up