Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Play Yard Ideas And Issues
Francine 05:47 AM 03-15-2017
I don't post very often but I'm hoping maybe you can give me some ideas. I have one of the octagon play yards set up in my playroom, I use it for different things depending on the day. Some days it's just used to house toys that we aren't playing with at the time, other times it's used to separate kids etc etc. My issue is that I have 2 kids that are 19 months, one that is 2 and one that is 3 1/2. The little ones think it is a game to throw all of the toys that I have in the general play area into the play yard and then stand there and say " ball, ball, ball" or whatever it is that they threw in there. I've been just leaving the toys in there, figuring if you throw them in then obviously they don't want to play with them but that's not fair to the ones that are not throwing the toys in there because they end up with no toys to play with. I've tried just getting out bigger toys, no balls, cars etc. but that doesn't seem to work either. I've tried removing the play yard all together but I really need it in there. Any thoughts?
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 03-15-2017
Originally Posted by Francine:
I don't post very often but I'm hoping maybe you can give me some ideas. I have one of the octagon play yards set up in my playroom, I use it for different things depending on the day. Some days it's just used to house toys that we aren't playing with at the time, other times it's used to separate kids etc etc. My issue is that I have 2 kids that are 19 months, one that is 2 and one that is 3 1/2. The little ones think it is a game to throw all of the toys that I have in the general play area into the play yard and then stand there and say " ball, ball, ball" or whatever it is that they threw in there. I've been just leaving the toys in there, figuring if you throw them in then obviously they don't want to play with them but that's not fair to the ones that are not throwing the toys in there because they end up with no toys to play with. I've tried just getting out bigger toys, no balls, cars etc. but that doesn't seem to work either. I've tried removing the play yard all together but I really need it in there. Any thoughts?
I'd put those two kids in the play yard and tell them it's their space to play in...

Or implement a consequence for throwing toys into the play yard. ANYTHING tossed in there is off limits to the one(s) who threw it in. The other kids that didn't throw can still play with the toys but the throwers do not.

I think allowing others to continue playing with the thrown toys in front of the ones that throw helps. SHOWS them visually that there is a consequence for throwing.

I'd implement a time out for the older one if he/she doesn't listen. 3.5 is MORE than old enough to understand. Not excusing the younger one, but odds are they are throwing because the older one is.
Francine 08:19 AM 03-15-2017
They now have no toys to play with, as I am making lunch the 3 littles have thrown every toys into the play yard. I guess we don't need to clean up before naps, it"s already done!
debbiedoeszip 10:37 AM 03-15-2017
I would leave the toys thrown in for the whole day. I know you don't think that it's fair to the other kids but I think that it's the only way that the thrower will learn (and it's a great object lesson for the others). When the other kids ask about the toys in the play yard, just shrug your shoulders sympathetically and say that it's too bad that so and so threw them in.

One of my dckids likes to throw toys over the gate to the stairs going up. They can't reach them afterwards though. At the end of the day, I collect the toys and have them available for the next morning.
Francine 11:56 AM 03-15-2017
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
I would leave the toys thrown in for the whole day. I know you don't think that it's fair to the other kids but I think that it's the only way that the thrower will learn (and it's a great object lesson for the others). When the other kids ask about the toys in the play yard, just shrug your shoulders sympathetically and say that it's too bad that so and so threw them in.

One of my dckids likes to throw toys over the gate to the stairs going up. They can't reach them afterwards though. At the end of the day, I collect the toys and have them available for the next morning.
That is exactly what is happening for the rest of the day!
Reply Up