Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>BEYOND PEEVED At My Licensor!!!
LeslieG 11:10 AM 03-15-2017
Ok ladies, wwyd? I'll try to make a long story short...

My licensor emailed me 2 weeks ago telling me that we could switch my license to a B-2 license, allowing me to take 4 toddlers and no other children. We would then switch my license back to my current license once my son turns 2 at the end of April. Great, right?!

So I meet a really nice family and decide to go ahead and enroll their sweet one year old boy. They signed a contract with me, paid their 2 week deposit, and put in their 2-week notice at their current daycare center.

I email my licensor today telling her I would like to switch my license to a B-2 because I have enrolled a new family with a toddler. She emails me back telling me she misspoke, and I actually can't change my license because I haven't been licensed for a full year yet. WHAT??!!

So now I am forced to call this family and tell them I actually cannot take their child until the end of April. Not only am I concerned with my reputation from a family that is putting their trust in me, but now they will be without daycare for 4 weeks because they've already given their 2-week notice at their other daycare.

LeslieG 11:14 AM 03-15-2017
Also, this in not the first time she's gone back on something she has told me!!
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 03-15-2017
I am so sorry.

Unfortunately, this type of thing happens a lot. The rules change so much even the licensors have a difficult time keeping up. Also, their own trainers all differ on how they interpret the rules ALL. THE. TIME.

It is maddening.
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 03-15-2017
Aw, that sucks.... IMHO, this is a huge issue for many states as licensors seem to interpret the regulations in their own way and many providers are often cited for things that previous licensors and/or other providers didn't see as a licensing violation.

I bet this is the case and your licensor did mis-speak but then corrected the info once she found out she was misinformed.

Can you apply for a variance for the time? My state allows us to apply for a variance to be out of ratios for a small period of time in situations just like this.

Could you hire an assistant for the time or maybe have your son go to grandparents or another family member for a few weeks? I don't know just thinking out loud......

Otherwise, your only option is to inform the family that your licensor provided you with incorrect information and that it has nothing to do with you or them but that your hands are now tied (if you can't use any of the options I mentioned).

Sucks but rules are rules and in some instances, it is just as much our (providers) obligation to make sure we know and understand the regulations as much as a licensor does.

Hoping you are able to find a workable solution.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 03-15-2017
I am in MN and it was just recently passed that all licensors will receive mandatory training on the rules and regulations so that they all interpret the rules the same way.

Provider's are also required to have a copy of (or the link) to our regulations. We are also required to provide parents the same info. When we sign off on our licensing application we are also signing off on stating that we know/have read and understand the regulations.

My state also has a 1 yr rule...where you can't change your license type until you've been licensed for a year.
Gemma 12:45 PM 03-15-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am in MN and it was just recently passed that all licensors will receive mandatory training on the rules and regulations so that they all interpret the rules the same way.

They should do that in all States
Meeko 01:04 PM 03-15-2017
Do as BC suggests. I see no reason you shouldn't be OK to get a variance for a few weeks. You were told you could do it and in good faith you did. Explain that it is not fair to the family as well as you.
LeslieG 01:19 PM 03-15-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Do as BC suggests. I see no reason you shouldn't be OK to get a variance for a few weeks. You were told you could do it and in good faith you did. Explain that it is not fair to the family as well as you.
She said I could possibly get a variance if all my training is done for the year. I'm not even close to being done.

Also, I do live in MN.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
She said I could possibly get a variance if all my training is done for the year. I'm not even close to being done.

Also, I do live in MN.
You can do some training hours pretty quickly if need be....

I squeezed in 28 hours just since the first of March.

Eager to Learn has some awesome self-paced learning modules that provide you the opportunity to get some hours in quickly and at your own pace.

IIRC, you need 16 hours annually and many of the Anytime Learning courses are 6, 8 or more hours so I bet if you applied for a variance you could get the training hours in before the form reaches your licensor, is read and approved.

If you need help finding/locating or signing up with Eager to Learn or Develop feel free to PM and I will happily assist!
daycarediva 11:36 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
YES! Get a variance. Going forward, get everything in writing. It helps getting out of licensing issues easier when it's in black and white. MUCH is open to interpretation, providers and licensars see many different situations where regulations aren't exact. Similar to our contracts, it's difficult to write for every possible situation, kwim?
Sumshine 12:51 PM 03-16-2017
From my understanding you won't be granted the variance either because I was told if you haven't been licensed for a year in MN you may not have any variances!

I could be incorrect or misunderstanding something but I'm pretty sure that's what I got out of it when I went to orientation.

I always email my licensor to communicate so I always have everything in writing.

If I were in your shoes I'd just wait until the year rolled around. Apologize and explain you can't take on new family and just wait it out. I don't like causing a fuss even if someone gave me incorrect info. I just feel it would put a strain on your relationship with your licensor to fight this and I definitely would not want a bad relationship with my licensor! Just my opinion!

I hope you can find a good solution that suits your needs!
Unregistered 12:56 PM 03-16-2017
Idk if i will be much help here, but i know in my state, you can watch more than 1 child for 30 days out of a year and not be licensed. This would be considered group babysitting then. So i honestly would still take the child when you wanted and care for all the kids as long as it was for less than 30 days.
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Idk if i will be much help here, but i know in my state, you can watch more than 1 child for 30 days out of a year and not be licensed. This would be considered group babysitting then. So i honestly would still take the child when you wanted and care for all the kids as long as it was for less than 30 days.
That wouldn't fly in MN.
If you are licensed, you must abide by licensing rules until you cancel your license.

If she took the child for even one day WHILE licensed and caring for other kids, she would be cited for being over ratios.

Also in MN, you can care for ONE unrelated family at a time for no more than 30 calendar days before needing to be licensed.
Love 02:36 PM 03-16-2017
Blackcat I live in MN and it states you can watch 1 family without being licensed. For longer than 30 days.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 03-17-2017
Originally Posted by Love:
Blackcat I live in MN and it states you can watch 1 family without being licensed. For longer than 30 days.
This is true but not while you are licensed.

My comments were as such because OP IS licensed and unregistered suggested taking the child ANYWAYS as an unlicensed provider since rules state you can (per unlicensed rules in MN) but she (OP) can't just say I am licensed on these days but not these days.

She is either licensed and must follow ALL ratios or she isn't licensed and can only take one unrelated family at a time.
No matter how long.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Tags:ratio, regulations, regulations - crazy
Reply Up