Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dogs In Your Daycare?
dreamer 06:55 PM 03-08-2017
Home daycare people --
what do you do with your dogs? Do you allow them near the kids?
jenboo 07:02 PM 03-08-2017
Originally Posted by dreamer:
Home daycare people --
I keep them separate for the their safety and the kids '
dreamer 08:44 PM 03-08-2017
That's probably the easiest way, I know for sure I would have to tell the kids to leave my dog alone. She is small and could get injured easily! I just feel bad because my dog likes to be close by me.
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 03-09-2017
People will probably gasp and tsk tsk me and I know it's an added liability BUT I have 2 dogs. The kids love them and they love the kids. I cannot imagine separating them all day because that would mean making them stay in 1 room. My dogs are both mixed breed, part lab. They're lovers, not fighters. I'm pretty sure if I had to keep them apart, I'd look for a job elsewhere.
I do, however, keep them in the bedroom at pick-up and drop-off times plus of course, during meals.
It also depends on your insurance company. We're not allowed 'dangerous' dogs. Well duh. Some providers I know do have to keep their dog separated, which I find sad. Dogs are pets and for the most part, great companions and playmates for kids. Yes, they can be unpredictable. You do your best to teach the dcks and keep your eyes peeled for any situations that could become precarious.
JMO
DaveA 04:41 AM 03-09-2017
Our Pekinese tolerates the loud little humans around his house but really doesn't interact with them. He stays on the other side of the gates most of the time. When gates are down he pretty much goes to a different room or someplace away from them.
bklsmum 04:50 AM 03-09-2017
I have two small dogs and they play with the kiddos sometimes for short times but spend most of the day in their crates where they are happier when there are a lot of little hands and feet around.
daycarediva 04:53 AM 03-09-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I keep them separate for the their safety and the kids '
and my liability. I have two labs, fantastic dogs, well socialized and well behaved but it would take just an accusation to ruin my life.

My dogs either go to the shop with dh all day or to doggy daycare if dh is out on jobs. I wouldn't leave them alone all day.

My daycare families have dogs and all are crated ALL DAY LONG, that's a 8-10 hour day in a crate!
jenboo 05:21 AM 03-09-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
and my liability. I have two labs, fantastic dogs, well socialized and well behaved but it would take just an accusation to ruin my life.

My dogs either go to the shop with dh all day or to doggy daycare if dh is out on jobs. I wouldn't leave them alone all day.

My daycare families have dogs and all are crated ALL DAY LONG, that's a 8-10 hour day in a crate!
My dogs stay in the kitchen, garage and a dog run in the yard. My dogs hate crates...
Blackcat31 05:30 AM 03-09-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

This ^^

I totally agree that dogs are and can be a positive in many ways but sadly in this day and age, liability trumps all of that. Every time.

My pup stays home and doesn't not get to be in daycare.

It's safer for him.
Safer for the kids
and safer for me (liability wise).
Sumshine 06:17 AM 03-09-2017
I turned my mudroom next to the laundry room into my animals room! I have 2 cats and 2 dogs (1 small 1 big). They love their own space! I have a cat tower, some beds, toys, etc. The cats stay in and get free range overnight and weekends. The dogs I let out once before the kiddos get here, then they are outside all nap time (weather permitting), and then I let them out when the last kiddos leave and they get free range until bed time when I crate them. Seems to be a good system!

All my daycare families have animals and wouldn't mind supervised interactions but I don't allow it. I just don't feel it's fair of me to allow 5+ kids to ambush them lol! They love kids all my animals have grown up with my son and are used to some tough love but it's not a situation I feel comfortable putting them or the kids in!
Second Home 07:15 AM 03-09-2017
I have 2 dogs currently and have have had dogs the whole time I have run a daycare . I even had 3 different litters of puppies while running a daycare . My licensing rep even did her inspection while I had a litter once , she had no problems with they way I had everything set up.

My dogs are in the house and are not really separated they can do what they please ( which is normally sleeping ) . The dck do not play with the dogs and the dogs stay out of the playroom . I do put them downstairs during pick up and drop off because it is easier for me to not worry about the dogs running out the door .
JackandJill 07:26 AM 03-09-2017
I keep my dog separated. I have a raised ranch and daycare is in the lower level, so he has the upstairs all to himself.

Every now and then he will come to the gate and the kids say hi, but I think he prefers to be away from the kids. He's only 18 pounds, so I'm sure he feels safer upstairs.

I agree with everyone else, its mostly a liability issue for me. My dog is great, but he is also an animal. I trust him to be well behaved, but I don't trust all the kids to not be too rough, or irritating, when they interact with him. It would only take one bite for him to get in trouble, unfortunately!
Cat Herder 07:26 AM 03-09-2017
My regs say the dogs can only be around the kids when written into the daily curriculum and only for the duration of that particular lesson.

Also, there is a list of specific breeds I cannot have on the property. Added to the ban list are many reptiles and small fuzzy mammals that some people find "icky".

I can't even have a little green garden snake. My favorite as a kid.
hwichlaz 07:35 AM 03-09-2017
I've always had dogs with the kids. There is a baby gate in my bedroom doorway with a doggy door in it so that when they've had enough of the kids they can go in my room. BUT, that rarely happens because they've just always been here. It's usually a new kid that makes them want to hide. Once the newness has worn off the kids don't bother them, and the dogs will even come lay next to a kid that is sitting still to get loves and pats.
Pepperth 08:04 AM 03-09-2017
My dog isn't allowed in my playroom as it's gated off. (As much for dog hair reasons. She avoids the kids if we are in a different room, and they don't interact. My dog is great with my kids, but we have a no petting the dog rule during daycare.
dreamer 08:18 AM 03-09-2017
Thank you all for sharing.
I wonder if I could give my dog her own spot, high enough so the kids can't touch her, but that allows her to still be close to us.
tenderhearts 08:39 AM 03-09-2017
I'm with Josiegirl, we have one black lab and he always wants to be with me and the kids, and he usually lays out of the way of the kids. There are times I will not let him out there if there are a lot of kids and if he's in the way and I NEVER leave him out there alone with the kids
daycarediva 09:43 AM 03-09-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My regs say the dogs can only be around the kids when written into the daily curriculum and only for the duration of that particular lesson.

Also, there is a list of specific breeds I cannot have on the property. Added to the ban list are many reptiles and small fuzzy mammals that some people find "icky".

EEK! The only thing I know of banned here are turtles.

I have a lizard, snake, tarantula, dd has a chinchilla she brings out sometimes, too.
laundrymom 10:35 AM 03-09-2017
Mine isn't "separated" but he chooses to lounge in the living room or a bedroom and not the daycare space. He does use the daycare entry door to go potty and he makes sure all crumbs are clear after meals. I don't not let him in playroom but he chooses to stay out. He will occasionally come in or walk over to the door and look around but that's about it. He's a poodle Maltese ****zhu mix. 14 pounds and 10 years old.
DaveA 10:58 AM 03-09-2017

When I opened we had rats as our classroom pets. When I was up for a relicensing my regular rep was temporarily assigned elsewhere. The temp rep was so freaked out by them she wouldn't relicense me till I got rid of them. I was new enough I didn't fight her on it. Still hacks me off thinking about it.
Meeko 01:47 PM 03-09-2017
Gus, my Westie...is part of our daycare. He gets kisses in the morning (from the parents too!) and at night. And he loves to play ball with the kids in the back yard.

The rest of the time, he's usually asleep on the back of the couch!
renodeb 02:21 PM 03-09-2017
I have 1 dog, shes medium sized and she is right with me all day. She can't stand not to be in the middle of it all. She's wonderful around the kids. For me that's what works.
Deb
kendallina 05:55 PM 03-09-2017
I have a big fat old beagle and he's with us in preschool when he wants to be and is outside or on his bed when he doesn't want to be. The kids and parents love him and the kids really leave him alone for the most part. The kids really LOVE my cat, though and will swarm around her when she's brave enough to come in the room. She tolerates them for about 3 minutes then she escapes!
Gemma 09:13 AM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by dreamer:
Home daycare people --
I have 2 dogs, I keep them separate from the kids....dogs are locked up in part of the house away from daycare when the kids are outside, and dogs are outside running in the yard when the kids are inside
Pandaluver21 12:33 PM 03-21-2017

Where do you live? I have a dog, two geckos and rats :P
trix23 06:35 PM 03-21-2017
We have a Cocker Spaniel and I keep her put away while we're inside because she tends to get underfoot and tinkles easily in the house when excited and will try to escape if by the front door. I let her out during outside times so that way she can go potty and get some energy out and so she's not cooped up all day. Parents are told this when we are on the tour.
ColorfulSunburst 09:39 PM 03-21-2017
I have three dogs (German Shepherd, Tibetan Terrier, and Havanese)
They and kids are separated.
knoxmomof2 06:15 PM 03-25-2017
I'm license exempt since I care for less than 5 children. I looked into licensing and, when I found out that I couldn't have my dogs in the daycare space, I decided licensing wasn't for me 😊

I have an 80 lb American Bulldog (she's my daughter's pet) and a 2 lb Mini Chihuahua puppy (she's my baby). The chihuahua is separated for her safety, except under certain circumstances and only for brief periods. Otherwise, she's in the bedroom with my daughter (12) while she homeschools, or in the dining room with my son (13) while he works on his lessons. The Bulldog (4.5) comes in and snoozes on a rug from time to time, otherwise she hangs out with my daughter as well (she is my daughter's dog). If she ever gets hyper, she is sent out of the room.

They both come outside with us, but 1 of my children is assigned to directly supervise the chihuahua (both for her protection and because she can fit through the chainlink fence if she ever tried).

Both are in my daughter's room in the morning for drop-off and in the evening for pick-up time.
Tags:dogs, pets, pets in daycare, regulations
Reply Up