Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smelly Playroom
Baby Beluga 08:05 AM 10-29-2015
How in the world do you keep your playroom smelling fresh?

I have 5 children everyday. 3 boys and 2 girls. Ages 2 - 4. I feel like over the past 6 months or so my playroom stinks to high heaven. It smells like sweat and drool, I mean this as nicely as possible

I am OCD and clean all the time. The rest of my house doesn't smell, just the playroom. I have steamed cleaned and used febreeze on the rugs, floor gets mopped daily. Shelves are wiped down weekly. Blankets, cots and other linens are washed twice a week. Windows are open whenever possible. But the room still stinks.

I keep a sweater on the back of my desk chair (located in the playroom). I took the sweater outside to wear and it smelled like sweat and drool

Any advice? Anything I am missing on cleaning?
Controlled Chaos 09:32 AM 10-29-2015
Nice smelling candle lit during nap every day
laundrymom 09:36 AM 10-29-2015
Wash all stuffies.
I spray a watered down downy on window screens.
Borrow a friend's dog.
Not your dog. But a new one. Have them walk in and note the spots they smell first. Clean those things. They will gravitate to the strongest smells first.
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 10-29-2015
I keep rooms smelling good by not letting kids in them...

I use Odoban. Comes in tons of great scents (I like lavender).
jenboo 09:40 AM 10-29-2015
I like to diffuse purify by doTERRA. It even gets the wet dog smell out of my house
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:32 AM 10-29-2015
I have a room ionizer. I swear by this thing. I absolutely love it. Some people don't like the "electric" odor it gives off, but I do (think how it smells outside just before a rainstorm). I think it smells like CLEAN.
Baby Beluga 01:17 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I keep rooms smelling good by not letting kids in them...

I use Odoban. Comes in tons of great scents (I like lavender).
Haha! The rest of my house smells just fine. It's just the DC room that stinks. I am always so embarrassed that a parent is going to think it stinks. DH can't smell anything...but I can! I may have to try the odoban stuff. Or the diffusing oils. I love love love candles, but most give me horrible headaches so I can't really burn them.

ETA: Do you use the odoban air and fabric refresher or the cleaner?
Leigh 02:10 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Haha! The rest of my house smells just fine. It's just the DC room that stinks. I am always so embarrassed that a parent is going to think it stinks. DH can't smell anything...but I can! I may have to try the odoban stuff. Or the diffusing oils. I love love love candles, but most give me horrible headaches so I can't really burn them.

Odoban is great! I use it in my carpet cleaner (mix it with detergent), then after sucking up the detergent, I spray diluted Odoban on the carpet (with the carpet cleaner) and let it sit there to dry. It smells great for days, and it keeps the smells away longer. I also have some diluted Odoban in a spray bottle that I use as an air freshener sometimes.
lizzlee 02:27 PM 10-29-2015
I've been using an essential oil diffuser, you might have to try a few different oils to see what scents you like. Right now I'm using Plant Therapy's Immune Aid and Germ Fighter which is knock off of Thieves oil. They have cinnamon and clove smells and the Germ Fighter is supposed to help kill germs in the air too. I use vinegar to clean with a lot which smells like vinegar when it's wet but when it dries it seems to take odors with it. I also keep one of those glade automatic spray things on a high shelf right inside my front door above the boot mats that we put shoes on and the coat rack right by it, seems like a lot of my stinky smells come from that area.
284878 08:36 AM 10-30-2015
I have use odo ban myself. I think it stinks, however where I got it there was no choice in scents.
Vinager should work also, just dilute with water and spray. The smell of vinigear dissipates shortly. Wash stuffed anminals and bedding with a cup of vinegar works also.
Lorna 08:41 AM 10-30-2015
I just did the cArpet in the playroom y to help. I use that air freshener that someone else had recommended "medi-aire biological door eliminator", Lysol spray. Crack
a window when I can. And make sure I get all diapers out quick.
Blackcat31 10:34 AM 10-30-2015

I use lots of the Odoban products but the one I use for air freshening is the antibacterial concentrate that I mix myself.

http://www.odoban.com/
Ariana 10:55 AM 11-02-2015
Maybe you have too much moisture in the playroom? A dehumidifier might help. I have issues with the smell of diapers and even when I empty the pail the smell wafts through my house. I recently bought two scent wax warmers at Bed Bath and Beyond. They are awesome! I personally like the citrus smelling one as it smells super fresh.
Unregistered 08:40 AM 11-03-2015
Use a box of baking soda on the carpet. Let sit overnight then vacuum. You could add some essential oils too
Controlled Chaos 02:56 PM 11-03-2015

I am always making comments to dcps at pick up - I'm sorry if its stinky, we just had everyone poo at the same time! And parents always laugh at me and say it smells great! I think it might be me lol. There is baby stink on my clothes and in my nose
leewo 04:14 AM 11-05-2015
I guess this issue can be solved out by cleaning your playroom every often as it is a place where children hang around. Find a place that provides cleaning services on a daily or weekly basis as per your requirement, it’s better to appoint people to clean the place every 2-3 days a week so that the place stays fresh keeping away all sort of unwanted smell or the dirt being inhaled by the children which can cause problems to the children too.
Reply Up