Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensory Bins
Sumshine 07:23 AM 03-21-2017
Now that I am pretty settled I am ready to focus on some sensory bin ideas! Up until now we pretty much just played with Play-Doh or moon sand but I made a bin last week with the rainbow balls that expand in water and the kids really enjoyed it!

What are some other good ideas that are easy to clean that your kiddos like? Vaccumable is a huge plus since I have thick carpet and the kids are bound to spill

Something easy(ish) that won't break the bank! I have seen some magnificent sensory bins on pintrest but they would require a lot of time on my end which I don't have or else a lot money! I'm drawing a blank other than maybe rice and aquarium rocks?

How do you handle your bins or tables? Do you find limiting them is needed/important so you can superives to prevent ingestion and major messes?

I just used a large Tupperware container I had for the one I made last week but I'm thinking of buying one of those long and low Sterilite containers that you would use to store stuff under your bed as our sensory bin and have the kiddos play on the table with it whenever I pull it out. I like that I could lid it and put it in my storage area connected to the daycare so kids can't get into it without me.
TwinMama 07:28 AM 03-21-2017
I've done oatmeal, snow and ice with little animal figures, cotton balls, feathers, and beans. In the Summer or when it's warm enough to be outside, but you can't use a sprinkler I'll get out water figurine animals (starfish, dolphins, etc) and fill the tub with water so they can pretend it's the ocean.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 03-21-2017
LOTS of threads on sensory bins

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=sensory+bins
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:27 AM 03-21-2017
We recently did Easter grass (paper not plastic) and later mixed with rice, macaroni, and spaghetti. It went over really well. Basically any different shapes pasta and beans.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
We recently did Easter grass (paper not plastic) and later mixed with rice, macaroni, and spaghetti. It went over really well. Basically any different shapes pasta and beans.
Please note that some dry beans are toxic even in small quantities

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2...ory-tub-2.html

http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...poisoning.html
Sumshine 08:39 AM 03-21-2017
Thanks for the other sensory threads and the information about dried beans... I never would of even thought of that being a toxin!

Is there a way to search for threads on here????

I like the idea of easter grass! Maybe I'll have to do that for April's bin!

I have a pack of sea critters I got on sale. I used some for my water table outside last summer with my son but my dogs ended up eating most of them and the lawn mower ended up getting the rest but I'm sure I could find a use for them inside where they would be safe!

I saw some thing about colored pasta? Has anyone doing this before? I see multiple methods which is the best you've found? If you color your pasta does it get on hands, clothes, etc?
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
Is there a way to search for threads on here????
Searching the forum is easy... just click on the "Search" tab at the top on the blue bar (might look different if you are using the mobile or light version of the forum).

Tags are how the forum finds other threads with similar topics/subject matter.
Attached: Untitled.jpg (221.8 KB) 
Pepperth 10:08 AM 03-21-2017
If you are looking for easy to clean, I recommend going to the dollar store and buying disposable table clothes for under the sensory bin. Then you can shake it off in the garbage or just toss it.
momofsix 10:27 AM 03-21-2017
Coloring pasta and rice is super easy! The way I do it is throw some rice/pasta in a large ziploc bag, throw in some food coloring and a little rubbing alcohol (helps it dry) Give the bag a good shake until its all covered, add more food coloring if the color isn't as dark as you like. I then spread it all out to dry on waxed paper. I usually leave it overnight. Once it's dry there is NO mess at all.

I also use a sterilite under bed box. I love the wheels and the cover. We use ours on the floor.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:15 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Please note that some dry beans are toxic even in small quantities

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2...ory-tub-2.html

http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...poisoning.html
Had no idea! Thanks for the info. Luckily haven't used red kidney beans before, but good to know for the future.
Unregistered 02:44 PM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
Now that I am pretty settled I am ready to focus on some sensory bin ideas! Up until now we pretty much just played with Play-Doh or moon sand but I made a bin last week with the rainbow balls that expand in water and the kids really enjoyed it!

What are some other good ideas that are easy to clean that your kiddos like? Vaccumable is a huge plus since I have thick carpet and the kids are bound to spill

Something easy(ish) that won't break the bank! I have seen some magnificent sensory bins on pintrest but they would require a lot of time on my end which I don't have or else a lot money! I'm drawing a blank other than maybe rice and aquarium rocks?

How do you handle your bins or tables? Do you find limiting them is needed/important so you can superives to prevent ingestion and major messes?

I just used a large Tupperware container I had for the one I made last week but I'm thinking of buying one of those long and low Sterilite containers that you would use to store stuff under your bed as our sensory bin and have the kiddos play on the table with it whenever I pull it out. I like that I could lid it and put it in my storage area connected to the daycare so kids can't get into it without me.
I have a set of 3 Tupperware bins (about 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 feet or so) and stack them with a little blanket covering the bottom two. I keep one empty for water or messy play, and the other two have different materials I rotate every month or two. MUCH less expensive then the fancy ones in the catalogs, and the size lets me slide them under the easel when not in use!

I love using different seeds, feed corn, rice, Pom-Pom balls or cotton balls, lots of ideas from others here... and rotating little them toys and tools to use with them (scoops, kids tweezers, etc).
kendallina 05:53 PM 03-21-2017
Colored rice is often my go-to. The kids love it, it feels good and it vacuums up. I have the kids color it-they can squash around the rice in the ziploc bags and watch it change color, then I lay it out on cookie sheets to let it dry.

Right now I have a bunch of pom poms and tweezers and measuring cups. They like this one too, because I allow them to actually take the pom poms out and play with them in the kitchen area. Most sensory bin items have to stay in.

I find that kids don't really care for playing with beans anyways, so I never really use those.

I use water a lot too, with a plastic tablecloth under it for spills.

I don't limit the amount of kids in the sensory table and I have a pretty small one. I find that with most areas in the room the kids self-regulate it...when it feels too crowded one or two will often leave pretty quickly.

Have fun! I LOVE sensory activities for kiddos. Have you ever done cornstarch and water? Super fun too!
Tags:sensory bins, sensory table
Reply Up