Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Complaints
firstbloomdc 04:47 PM 03-23-2017
Hello everyone , I currently have a Group Family Day Care in the Bronx, NY area and I am currently looking for some advice.

I currently have a client who is always complaining about something in the daycare. It goes from sending me pictures of recent wet diapers, children clothes dirty with paint or some glitter from days activities to even environmental allergies the child will get claiming the child gets them while in care.

Pictures of wet diapers would come in about 35 mins after the children would leave and she would claim the diaper was overflowing . I would demonstrate to her timing of last diaper change , which would be recent , and it would still be a problem.

Recently , the child exhibited a small allergy on the side of his face. While in care the child did not show any signs but 30 mins after they arrive home she send a picture of the child's face side . Both staff and I explained to her the child exhibited no signs of allergies in the daycare . Also we have not tried any new meals or snack recipe for the kids.

I understand these are things that you have to question what happen in daycare , but with her I have the feeling she is always looking for something to complaint about . Not once has she ever said thank you or complemented us on the progress the children have had in daycare .

I know that parent , unfortunately , say thank you for the job childcare providers do , but a simple gesture of appreciation goes a long way.

I guess I would like to know am I overreacting and I should just should relax or Should I speak to the parent and ask if she is not satisfied with the care she can definitely find a care facility that will adjust better to her needs.

sorry for the long post . I appreciate the advice.
Unregistered 05:55 PM 03-23-2017
Personally if I had this parent I would terminate care. I would be worried that the complaints would start to be about more serious things that could affect my liability. It is not worth any amount of money to me to deal with this type of parent.
Pestle 06:00 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by firstbloomdc:
Should I speak to the parent and ask if she is not satisfied with the care she can definitely find a care facility that will adjust better to her needs.
That one. Just a matter of time until she reports you for something you didn't do. Why on Earth is she even using your facility if she's so convinced that everything you do is horrible?

I feel for you. Particularly since I'm sure you're changing the kids more often and providing a cleaner environment than most of them experience at home. Put her in another enrollee's house and let her see how other parents operate.
LysesKids 08:44 PM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Personally if I had this parent I would terminate care. I would be worried that the complaints would start to be about more serious things that could affect my liability. It is not worth any amount of money to me to deal with this type of parent.
THIS... I will not tolerate a parent that nit picks everything & I deal with first time moms and dads because I am an under 2's only childcare home. You start complaining about every little thing & I will hand you walking papers.

If after 17 years of professional childcare services and trainings on top of 35 years of being a parent/grandparent ( not to mention my educational background) you can't trust me with the little things, then nobody will please you.
Josiegirl 02:04 AM 03-24-2017
What a headache she must be. If you have a desire to keep her, I'd bring it up once and for all; tell her she seems very displeased with your care and ask her if this is her 2 week notice. She'll either shut up about it or go off on you. If she goes off, I'd hand her the waiting termination papers. If she shuts up then maybe she can be trained. Remind her you have given her proof over and over again on your end(omg who takes pics of wet diapers??)and if she isn't happy she should look for other care, or place her trust in you; tell her you understand it might be hard to place trust in another person to care for their child but it's becoming difficult for you to feel confident in the parent/provider relationship that you all need in helping this child grow and develop.
Is there a way to send pics during the day to ensure her child is doing well?
I wouldn't be able to provide care for a dcm like this if she doesn't see the light. It won't get any better unless you have a heart to heart with her.
Josiegirl 02:21 AM 03-24-2017
As far as paint, glitter, etc., reiterate that all children get messy when they're involved in art and play. Maybe you can get an oversized t-shirt and use a clothespin to pin the neck closed so everything gets covered. That's what I do. Or put her in some thrift store clothes while she's in dc, or stress to dcm to dress her in her play clothes for dc(my policies state their child will gt dirty here so never send them in good clothes). As far as complaining about allergies, request she bring her dd to the doctors to get a proper diagnosis.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:19 AM 03-24-2017
She sounds like a headache! IF you decide to keep them, you need to start doing full body checks with mom at arrival and departure. Note the diaper and and marks on the body and clothes. Write it down and have her sign it everytime. And be super nitpicky when you are doing it at drop off. If she wants to make a fuss about every mark that may have happened on YOUR time, then you should make a big fuss about what happened during HERS. Let her see how rediculous she is being. Of course, I would probably terminate bc she sounds nuts.
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
She sounds like a headache! IF you decide to keep them, you need to start doing full body checks with mom at arrival and departure. Note the diaper and and marks on the body and clothes. Write it down and have her sign it everytime. And be super nitpicky when you are doing it at drop off. If she wants to make a fuss about every mark that may have happened on YOUR time, then you should make a big fuss about what happened during HERS. Let her see how rediculous she is being. Of course, I would probably terminate bc she sounds nuts.
Have MOM do the full body check on her child AND written documentation at drop off. I would not do it.

It's HER concern so SHE needs to be the one that hands her child over with HER being the last one to "inspect" the child.

Don't let her leave at the end of the day without HER doing the same "inspection" again.

Do not accept the child into care without a full and thorough body check.

Do not let the child leave until mom has thoroughly inspected him and documented ANYTHING she feels is concerning.

As for glitter, paint etc.... supply mom with a permission slip to do these things. If she signs it, she no longer gets to complain as she gave permission.

If she doesn't sign it and says she doesn't want her child to participate in these activities for fear of getting their clothes dirty, then REQUIRE her to come pick the child up every single time a messy activity is planned.

Explain you do not have the additional staff to supervise, entertain her child while the others are getting messy so she'll have to pick up. She can return said child (with another documented full body inspection) when the messy activity is over.

When her complaints cause HER to have to do the work she will stop.
Pestle 07:24 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As for glitter, paint etc.... supply mom with a permission slip to do these things. If she signs it, she no longer gets to complain as she gave permission.

If she doesn't sign it and says she doesn't want her child to participate in these activities for fear of getting their clothes dirty, then REQUIRE her to come pick the child up every single time a messy activity is planned.
I learn so much from you.
Mike 11:06 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I learn so much from you.
She has been providing a LOT of good advice here to everyone. I hope she gets paid well for her job.

Been said more than a few times on here. We (or you for now) have a set group of tasks we do. That's what mom's pay for. Anything extra, let the parents do.
MOM OF 4 09:49 AM 03-25-2017
1. Let her go
Tell her that it seems she believes your program is not a good fit for her needs and be done

Or
2. Keep her and make HER life hard. I liked what another poster said:
Upon arrival, have her inspect kid, diaper, clothes- check box anything "wrong" sign, date. Same at pickup.

If the child DID have allergies and got exposed to something, and it is NOT on an allergy sheet that it is a known issue, then she needs a diagnosis, signed forms from peds dr to be furnished to you. You can't possibly be responsible for a child's immunity.

If she doesn't"get" why you would do this after a few days, complains, etc, I would say goodbye. U don't need her to come up with some serious allegation and her "pictures" and "log of complaints" to use against you. Any termination, I would make her sign and make a copy, citing the reason. (take a pic w ur phone if u don't have a printer).
CityGarden 10:11 AM 03-25-2017
Have MOM do the full body check on her child AND written documentation at drop off. I would not do it.

It's HER concern so SHE needs to be the one that hands her child over with HER being the last one to "inspect" the child.

Don't let her leave at the end of the day without HER doing the same "inspection" again.

Do not accept the child into care without a full and thorough body check.

Do not let the child leave until mom has thoroughly inspected him and documented ANYTHING she feels is concerning.

Explain you do not have the additional staff to supervise, entertain her child while the others are getting messy so she'll have to pick up. She can return said child (with another documented full body inspection) when the messy activity is over.

I love love love all of this!
Tags:appreciated, complaints, family daycare, parents
Reply Up