Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>7 Months In, Need To Make A Change
Kia 06:15 PM 03-26-2017
I opened 7 months ago and didn't have any trouble getting families. I did, however, assume things would be really easy and didn't make my contract strict enough to cover me in the event that a situation became too much for me. I now need to change my contract, shortening my hours, and possibly making some rules a bit clearer so my time is seen as valuable as that of my DCFs. I would really like to change my hours. I am currently open from 6-6. I have a DCG dropped off at 6:30a and picked up 3:30-4. I have another that is usually dropped off at 7:15 and picked up 3:30-4 (sometimes later-that's always a surprise) the source of most end of day stress when I don't know if she'll be late. I have another that I have one day a week, 10:00a-5:30, and one that's 3 days a week 9:30a-4:30p. I could write a letter asking for summer schedules because one may not be here during the summer and I would love to close at 4:30. I have that one DCG that's here til 5:30 one day a week. How can I change my hours and keep her without other parents getting angry about having to pay late fee when I have one here an hour later for reg rate? I also feel like I'm letting one family down because I told them I would be flexible and it didn't matter to me how long dcg would be here.....I stuck my foot in my mouth. It turns out it is a big deal, my kids hate it when there are still kids here during "their time", and 12 hours is a long, long day. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on the parent notification letter addressing the hour changes and how to handle my 10-5:30 dcg. It is only one day a week that I have her. I also need to address bringing snacks and toys from home...this makes be CRAZY!! Other than that, life is awesome!
CityGarden 10:09 PM 03-26-2017
Two approaches come to mind...

Contracted rates based on pick up times
This naturally seems to encourage parents to pick up earlier.

Or

Rip the band-aid off and send a letter stating as of X date XYZ's daycare hours will be until X daily.

I went with a 3rd option, after my 1st enrolled family opted for hours until 5:30pm, I switched my hours to end earlier for all new families. The first family is still with me until 5:30 and they kept their initial contract - all new families have the new contract/hours.
TSDaycare 03:57 AM 03-27-2017
I'd just give a letter stating as of.....new hours are ....... Hopefully the parents of the late child will make accommodations no questions asked.
I feel you on the toys, I have this in my contract, but they still bring them. The parents always use it as an excuse "well it's the only way I could get them out of the house". I have a 2 yr old and can relate, he always wants to have a little truck or car or something with him. I have the children put them away in their cubby, gone and out of sight!
lpperry 05:20 AM 03-27-2017
When I first opened, my initial hours were 7 am - 6 pm. I thought I needed those hours to get kids and I also didn't realize how difficult and exhausting the job would be!! I didn't want to lose my current clients so I gradually reduced hours as I got new clients. I also sent a notification of new hours to my current clients who already fit into those hours. About 9 months later I had a 7:30-5:15 schedule.

Then over the years I shortened my hours based on who I had. After the 5:15 pickup child left, my next latest kiddo left at 4:30, so when it was time for new clients, I advertised 4:30. By that time, my start time had changed to 8:00. My hours were then 8-4:30 and I only took new kids that fit into that schedule. I never could go back to a longer work day!!!

By the time I did the 8-4:30 hours I was well established and was a desirable daycare. I had no trouble finding clients or would have extended those hours again. I did end up doing a graduated price system which motivated families to pick up earlier so most of my kids were home by 3:30 or 4. People really like getting a discount for getting picked up earlier.

I suggest honoring the hours you set and gradually decreasing later. I wouldngo ahead and change hours for the people who fit into what you want and those who just occasional pick up later. When I changed for those occasional people, I told them I'd be happy to keep their child later on occasion IF they asked and I was free. They did not take advantage of this.

Good luck!! Reducing hours made me happier and made things more manageable! 12 hours is a long day even when you are working at home.
LittleScholars 09:19 AM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by Kia:
I opened 7 months ago and didn't have any trouble getting families. I did, however, assume things would be really easy and didn't make my contract strict enough to cover me in the event that a situation became too much for me. I now need to change my contract, shortening my hours, and possibly making some rules a bit clearer so my time is seen as valuable as that of my DCFs. I would really like to change my hours. I am currently open from 6-6. I have a DCG dropped off at 6:30a and picked up 3:30-4. I have another that is usually dropped off at 7:15 and picked up 3:30-4 (sometimes later-that's always a surprise) the source of most end of day stress when I don't know if she'll be late. I have another that I have one day a week, 10:00a-5:30, and one that's 3 days a week 9:30a-4:30p. I could write a letter asking for summer schedules because one may not be here during the summer and I would love to close at 4:30. I have that one DCG that's here til 5:30 one day a week. How can I change my hours and keep her without other parents getting angry about having to pay late fee when I have one here an hour later for reg rate? I also feel like I'm letting one family down because I told them I would be flexible and it didn't matter to me how long dcg would be here.....I stuck my foot in my mouth. It turns out it is a big deal, my kids hate it when there are still kids here during "their time", and 12 hours is a long, long day. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on the parent notification letter addressing the hour changes and how to handle my 10-5:30 dcg. It is only one day a week that I have her. I also need to address bringing snacks and toys from home...this makes be CRAZY!! Other than that, life is awesome!
This was me last summer and I was also about 7 or 8 months in when I knew I needed to make a change. I renew my contracts in September, so in early August I released a very, very, very revised handbook. I made all of the changes I needed to and borrowed tons of ideas from this forum. I gave parents over 4 weeks to review and determine if the program was still an appropriate fit. I honestly prefaced the handbook by stating I learned a great deal in my first year and was making policy revisions. I didn't lose a single family (although I was prepared to).

Shortening hours meant that 3 families shifted schedules a bit. I told them in was important for me to honor my commitment to them, so I was willing to continue providing late care for them for one more year. Families didn't want to be termed, so they just adjusted schedules. Now everyone comes at 5:00 unless they notify me in advance. I wasn't expecting that level of flexibility or understanding. I *think* parents also see the benefit of a shorter day for kiddos, too.
Unregistered 09:50 AM 03-27-2017
When I first started 5 years ago my hours were 7-4:30 thinking the same as you, to stay competitive with other providers I needed to have long hours in order to have families enroll which they did. I got burnt out real fast especially just having my own little one. I renew contracts in August so the following year I sent a letter stating my new hours 7-4 and most of my families stayed that didn't go to kinder or preschool. I found I was still getting burnt out and not having enough time with my own child so I decided to close on Fridays. I did lose a couple families which is understandable. When my child started preschool I again changed my hours to 8-3 in order to be able to drop off and pick up my child. The families that needed longer hours left but the majority stayed and I still have families the enroll that can work with my days and hours. I am much happier now.

I did have one family that needed an additional 30 minute pick up time and I was willing to work with them for an additional cost. So it would be fair, I offered the extended time to all families with the additional cost but everyone even the one family were able to figure something out to come at the regular time so eventually I did away with the extended time. You must do what works for you or you will not last long.
Kia 10:24 AM 03-27-2017
Thanks. I was wondering if I had made the right decision choosing to take this career path because I was already feeling bunt out. I realized my hours are entirely too long and it is time I run the program instead of the parents. I love love the kiddos but need time for my own family too. That is why I chose to do this in the first place after all.
LittleScholars 10:32 AM 03-27-2017
Thanks. I was wondering if I had made the right decision choosing to take this career path because I was already feeling bunt out. I realized my hours are entirely too long and it is time I run the program instead of the parents. I love love the kiddos but need time for my own family too. That is why I chose to do this in the first place after all.
I only cut back a half hour and I cannot tell you what a difference it made. I bet you'll be so much happier once you make the changes you need to. And even if you lose clients, you'll fill those spaces with others that are much more aligned. Good luck!
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 03-27-2017
If it makes you feel any better, I am two and a half decades into this and I am always changing, restructuring and switching things up.

Every year, the kids are either older than the year before or there are new enrollments so what works one year doesn't work the next.

This business IS constantly evolving and changing so I wouldn't worry too much about making changes.
Ariana 08:18 AM 03-29-2017
I see new providers all the time offering low wages and 12 hour days. I have never offered it, prefer part time teachers kids and I am usually always in demand (although not always people I want to work with ) The business has to work for you and you have to have faith in yourself that you will get kids!!
childcaremom 09:28 AM 03-29-2017
When I changed my hours, I gave 4 weeks notice of the change:

Dear dcps,

From time to time, I need to make changes that are in the best interest of my business. Please be advised that as of x date, hours of operation will be 7:30-4. Childcare will not be available outside of those hours.

While I hope that all families will be able to accomodate these operational changes, I understand if the changes do not work for your family. Please remember that I need 2 weeks if you need to withdraw your child.

Sincerely,
Your overworked provider

I lost the families that I expected to and gained back my sanity. Filled the openings with families that needed less care.

My advice: make the changes you need to make. Families will either be able to make it work or not. There are other families who will be able to so start advertising with your new hours.

As far as the stuff coming from home: hand it right back at the door. Thanks, dcm. No food or toys from home. If you don't have this policy, throw it in with the hour changes.
Reply Up