Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink Eye Policy
happykidschildcare 07:27 AM 02-09-2011
Just curious what is everyones pink eye policy. I had a DCB come down with strep & pink eye, The first day he stayed home the DCM still brought in his baby sister, needless to say after her am nap she woke up with both eyes green & gunky (the first sign of pink eye) so I called and said com e pick her up. They were both out 3 days, DCM returned today saying they are both on antibiotics. ( I personally thought strep lasted longer then 3 days? ) and the baby girls eye is still crusty and weepy? I sent another DCB home yesterday after he woke up from nap with the same gunky eyes, his mom emailed me last night saying the Dr says its not pink eye, that he has an ear infection and thats why his eyes were green and gooey? hmmm so Im expecting them to show up today grrr...Some ppl dont get it, I figure well if I get it Im closed with pay, their loss........... anyways sorry for the venting
Mrs.Ky 07:31 AM 02-09-2011
A child is safe to return to daycare or school 24 to 48 hours after being on antibotics. My Son had pink eye a month ago he could return to school after 24 hours on eye drops. With Strep I would say 24 hours on antiboitcs and FEVER FREE for 24 hours before returning to daycare you should also ask for a doctors note before accepting them back in daycare.
DCMomOf3 07:34 AM 02-09-2011
for bacterial pink eye 24+ hours on meds. and NO symptoms/ discharge. For viral it's no symptoms/discharge for 24+ hours.

they were on meds for strep or pink eye? I am sorry this mom is pushing. I'd say no at the door and send them back home until the discharge is gone.
happykidschildcare 07:57 AM 02-09-2011
the DCB strep and pink eye the baby sister had pink eye & ear infection
I sent the DCB to headstart today, so we will see how that goes. The DBG is acting fine, but her eyes are still weepy, just thinking all the sanitizing and re sanitizing isnt drainage a sign of still being contagious? I would have said no at the door cuz I wasnt really expecting them back at all this week being he was just diagnosed with strep over the weekend, when mom dropped them this morning she states shes sick now and needs to go to the dr, and that the DCB needs stimulation, school etc....
angelpayne24 09:02 AM 02-09-2011
I don't know much about pink eye as mine have never had it. But my own children, almost everytime they get a cold/allergies act up, they get the green goopy eyes. In a few days it clears up on its own. That's how I know its not pink eye, because it clears up on its own when the cold starts to go away. So I believe YES they can have the green goopy eyes and it is not always pink eye.
nannyde 09:08 AM 02-09-2011
Pink Eye and Conjunctivitis: Children are not allowed to attend day care with eyes that are red and/or eyes that are weeping with clear or cloudy drainage. They must be completely free of drainage both running and dried drainage around their eyes before they can return to day care. We do not accept Dr's notes allowing children to return to day care after treating conjunctivitis if the redness and drainage are still present.
happykidschildcare 04:21 PM 02-09-2011
thank you guys!!!! I let 1 dcm know even though thier on meds they have to show no signs of pink eye, she says I thought she looked fine.....I try to stand up but I usually end up walking away just saying ok, uggghh even after all these years at time I can be a pushover...uygggggggh
Tags:pink eye, pink eye policy
Reply Up