Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink?! UPDATE
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 09-19-2012
I have an infant in care who is in the process of finding the right/suitable formula. DCP's are going back and forth between milk based, soy based and a little bit of breastmilk...when available. (that is a whole other story).

So a couple of days ago, I was running late getting out of here and instead of washing the bottles at the end of the day, I simply took the bottle, rinsed it out and left it in the sink filled with water. (the bottles are Dr. Brown glass bottles if that makes a difference).

When I returned the next day, I noticed the water in the bottle had a bright, neon pink film across the top. I thought "hmm, weird ?" but never gaveit a second thought. Figured I am on city water at daycare so who knows what kind of flouride or junk they put in it so who knows.

Anyways, it has happened again a few times since and now I am seeing the same pink spots on the blankets/rags I use with the baby because the baby is a major spitter and spits up a lot.

Mom was supplying the rags/blankets but lately the baby has been a bit more spitty (due to the food intake changes) and I have been going through more rags/blankets than normal.

Yesterday the baby spit up in the PNP and when I threw the sheet in my laundry basket I didn't give it a second thought. Now this morning the spot on the sheet as well as the spot in the mattress of the PNP is stained bright neon pink. WTH?

Now that I am really looking for it now, I see that there is slight pinkish stains on the plastic inserts to the bottles too and some spots on other places the baby has spit up.

Anyone know what the heck that is? Why hot pink?

I took a photo of the PNP mattress so maybe you can see it in the photo below...
Live and Learn 08:29 AM 09-19-2012
Are you making the bottles at daycare or is mom making them at home and bringing them to you? Hopefully mom isn't putting Benadryl or something in a bottle. ParanoidI know .....but it's the first thing that came to mind.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Are you making the bottles at daycare or is mom asking them at home and bringing them to you? Hopefully mom isn't putting Benadryl or something in a bottle. ParanoidI know .....but it's the first thing that came to mind.
I make them. She supplies the formula by the can, left at daycare. Brings fresh breastmilk daily when she can get enough.

I would suspect added things too, but this family is a golden one and VERY health conscious...cloth diapering, co-sleeping, breast milk if possible....VERY in tune to baby's needs and stuff.

I think they might even be a family that doesn't use any type of medications and things like that so definitely know mom didn't add anything. Baby is not on any supplements or anything like that either.
crazydaycarelady 08:38 AM 09-19-2012
I have NO idea what that could be but it is odd, very odd! I've never seen that in 21 years of providing care!
youretooloud 08:39 AM 09-19-2012
I would ask the parents to make the bottles at home for a while til you figure it out. I can't imagine why, but perhaps it's the water you use?

Or maybe they can bring filtered water in a bottle for a bit?

Otherwise, I can't imagine what it could be.
Live and Learn 08:58 AM 09-19-2012
I'm not sure how old the baby is but could they be giving baby grape or cranberry juice in the mornings and it is urping back up??....oh wait. It's in the bottle too....I give up....weird!
Oneluckymom 08:58 AM 09-19-2012
Are you using tap water? I ONLY use carbon filtered or bottled water ESP for babies. I have suspicion it's the water. So weird!
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 09-19-2012
Daycare family and I are both using city water. Our town is small enough that it is from the same water supply. They live only blocks away. I had asked mom before about using bottled water, but she believes bottled water is worse for you than tap. (???..I live in the country myself and use well water so I have no idea if that is true or not...just her preference to use tap water though)

Someone else I was chatting with said they thought it could be an enzyme or bacteria that is found in your digestive tract ?? and that it could maybe be from mom passed to baby or in baby. She didn't think it was anything bad but she was going to do a bit more research and let me know.

I thought it was odd as well and in all my years I have never seen something like this either.

Baby is 7 months. Healthy as could be and gaining weight, growing and developing right on track so no worries there.
mema 09:14 AM 09-19-2012
I too have read about some bacteria that mother carries and it transfers to baby from breast milk. When the baby drinks, some of the bacteria goes back into the bottle-like backwash-and reacts with the formula.

I think it was on Mystery Diagnosis.

Hope they can figure out what it is. That is so weird.
Oneluckymom 10:58 AM 09-19-2012
serratia marcescens* ?? Worth looking into maybe.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
WOW! From what I read so far about it, it does sound as if it 'could' be serious if not addressed.

I will have to show the links I found to mom and see what she says.

I can't find anything though about whether it is something that is a risk or danger to the other kids or spreadable at all. I would sure hate to have some kind for outbreak happen...kwim?
MNMum 11:43 AM 09-19-2012
I'm a NICU RN and a Lactation Consultant, La Leche League Leader. I've never heard of bright pink spit up - except for a baby who has been given a medication. Since these parents seem to be "naturalists", maybe they are giving some kind of herbal or natural supplement - I would ask that specifically. There are enzymes in breastmilk that can change how it looks/smells, but I have never heard of pink? I see the parents point on the tap water, maybe they are concerned about child getting enough flouride. But it would be worth it to try bottled water for a couple weeks to see if it is the water source. The bottled water won't have lasting effects if used for a few weeks.
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I'm a NICU RN and a Lactation Consultant, La Leche League Leader. I've never heard of bright pink spit up - except for a baby who has been given a medication. Since these parents seem to be "naturalists", maybe they are giving some kind of herbal or natural supplement - I would ask that specifically. There are enzymes in breastmilk that can change how it looks/smells, but I have never heard of pink? I see the parents point on the tap water, maybe they are concerned about child getting enough flouride. But it would be worth it to try bottled water for a couple weeks to see if it is the water source. The bottled water won't have lasting effects if used for a few weeks.
Oh I am soooo glad we have someone on board with your knowledge!!!!

I googled serratia marcescens in breastmilk and got all kinds of links about a bacteria that can cause bright pink staining. Here is one particular story about it http://www.encyclocenter.com/Pink-Breast-31660.html

Would you mind taking a look at it and give me your opinion? I would really appreciate it...I am just really nervous now that it could be serious or could be no big deal...kwim?
Breezy 12:48 PM 09-19-2012
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...1/1/8.abstract
SilverSabre25 01:38 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by mema:
I too have read about some bacteria that mother carries and it transfers to baby from breast milk. When the baby drinks, some of the bacteria goes back into the bottle-like backwash-and reacts with the formula.

I think it was on Mystery Diagnosis.

Hope they can figure out what it is. That is so weird.
That's what I was thinking! I did some googling and came up with the same answer. I knew the neon pink spots sounded familiar!

Mom should probably take herself and bubs to the doctor...armed with the self-diagnosis. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out, if you can.
Michael 01:44 PM 09-19-2012
Pepto-Bismol?

Pepto-Bismol was invented in 1901 by a doctor in New York. It was originally sold as a remedy for infant diarrhea
Unregistered 02:03 PM 09-19-2012
Are you using tap water? I ONLY use carbon filtered or bottled water ESP for babies. I have suspicion it's the water. So weird!
A lot of people believe that bottled water is cleaner or some how healthier than tap water. This is an absolute myth! Tap water is not required to be tested for many things such as e. coli and is not required to meet the same rigorous standards as our tap water. We have very very high standards for our tap water (federal standards that apply to everyone on a municipal water system) and it is monitored constantly to ensure that it meets them. We have the cleanest water in the world, please stop buying bottled water! Bottled water costs more per volume that gasoline and creates a huge amount of waste. I have an extra filter on my tap to remove some natural minerals that give it a slightly funky taste but otherwise I would trust my tap water over anything you can buy in a bottle.
texascare 07:20 AM 09-20-2012
There is an infant tummy gas medicine (Mylicon) that is pink. I have had kids spit that up and its neonish...
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 09-20-2012
Ok, I talked to mom and she said she was aware of the issue and she too thought is was some sort of bacteria (serratia marcescens ????) that she said she found out about after doing some internet research. She also said she thought that taking some probiotics had long ago cured it.

FWIW~ the baby is NOT getting any type of supplements or medicines or anything other than formula.

She said she also gave the baby the same probiotics and thought for sure it was gone now as she hadn't seen any evidence of pink staining etc since taking the probiotic. She had seen pink stains in the baby's cloth diapers as well as the bottles and the breast pump.

Now the baby has been on formula (several different kinds) over the last 4 weeks or so, and mom is no longer pumping or using breast milk at all.

So last night I purposely left the baby's bottle out on the counter (unwashed) to see what would happen. Here are the results.

Can you see the hot pink film over the top of the left over fomula? It is in the nipple and up the sides of the interior of the bottle too. I have a blanket the baby threw up on yesterday and the spot is seriously hot pink now.

My blankets and the PNP mattress pad are permanently stained as the pink washes out of the glass bottle parts but not out of material (fabric), plastic or rubber surfaces. I don't know if this is something I should be excluding for, something I should be sanitzing for as it is supposedly a bacteria of some sort.

I am kind of leary now about the whole situation as I really am worried it could be something that is spreadable to others or something that is a REAL cause for concern. I wish there was more info about it out there as I don't really know what to do. Mom doesn't seem real concerned about it but I am.

I just have no idea.
Attached: 67185_272827606162518_559755743_n.jpg (52.9 KB) 
Country Kids 08:05 AM 09-20-2012
Is there a way you could call and ask your family doctor, nurse or peditrician in your area.

Tell them whats going on, your concerns, and maybe see what they say.
sharlan 08:05 AM 09-20-2012
I would definitely insist that Mom take the baby to the dr.
lovemykidstoo 08:11 AM 09-20-2012
Wow, I can't believe that bottle. That is just weird. I cannot believe that that mom is not running to the doctor. My kid would be at the doctor that very day.
sharlan 08:22 AM 09-20-2012
Have you considered giving the bottles a bleach rinse, then washing them in hot soapy water? Simple washing in hot soapy water may not be enough to kill the bacteria in all the bottle parts.
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Wow, I can't believe that bottle. That is just weird. I cannot believe that that mom is not running to the doctor. My kid would be at the doctor that very day.
Well, she has been to the doctor but I guess they really don't know what to tell her as they don't seem to be very educated about what this could possibly be. We don't live in a big metropolitan area so our doctor's don't see many bizarre or unsual things here.

Mom said she researched it and how she talks about it leads me to believe she isn't too worried about it but I honestly can't say that I am not worried....I mean I have a group of children that may be or could be being exposed to this. I worry about them and their families and she is only seeing things from her point of view...kwim?

Also, this mom is also having a really tough time with PPD and the baby being a preemie and the 2.5 months of bedrest she had prior to the baby's birth. She also has 3 other children who are all under age 10. She has said on several occassions that she just wants this year to be over with as it has been so tough on her.

I feel for her, I really really do, but I HAVE to worry about the whole group of kids I care for and I do feel like if I exclude until an absolute answer is given, that I would be putting her and her whole family in a bind they really can't emotionally and financially afford to be in.

Mom did say she was going to re-treat baby with the probiotic she had from before and see if that works. My issue though is simply pack of info about this. I like to know ALL I can about something before I can make an educated leap in one direction or another so....

Ugh...I just don't know what to do. (*sigh*)
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Have you considered giving the bottles a bleach rinse, then washing them in hot soapy water? Simple washing in hot soapy water may not be enough to kill the bacteria in all the bottle parts.
I run all my baby items through the dishwasher and then through the sanitize cycle too.

Washing the bottles and sanitizing them still doesn't explain the hot pink color the baby's spit up turns after it sits on the blanket over night.
Live and Learn 08:34 AM 09-20-2012
Have you noticed the pink color in bottles of breast milk? Have you noticed it in other brands of formula? if not, I would call the manufacturer of the formula and make sure there is no recall on it.
Lyss 08:39 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So last night I purposely left the baby's bottle out on the counter (unwashed) to see what would happen. Here are the results.

Can you see the hot pink film over the top of the left over fomula? It is in the nipple and up the sides of the interior of the bottle too. I have a blanket the baby threw up on yesterday and the spot is seriously hot pink now.

I am kind of leary now about the whole situation as I really am worried it could be something that is spreadable to others or something that is a REAL cause for concern. I wish there was more info about it out there as I don't really know what to do. Mom doesn't seem real concerned about it but I am.

I just have no idea.
That is scary! I would be concerned too!

I had an infant (briefly) that was on a barley "formula" supplement (DCPs are Scientologists and apparently it's something they recommend instead of formula) when not getting breastmilk and DCB would occasionally spit it up, it was a pink or brownish. But it doesn't sound like this applies to your case.

I've googled it and it seems like there are alot of threads about people having this issue but no clear answers
sharlan 08:43 AM 09-20-2012
I run all my baby items through the dishwasher and then through the sanitize cycle too.

Washing the bottles and sanitizing them still doesn't explain the hot pink color the baby's spit up turns after it sits on the blanket over night.
IMHO, and I am NOT a dr, I would say the baby has a bacteria in its system that needs to be treated. By sterilizing, which you do, it would help in not reinfecting. Is the mom sterilizing the bottles at home?
lovemykidstoo 08:54 AM 09-20-2012
Well, she has been to the doctor but I guess they really don't know what to tell her as they don't seem to be very educated about what this could possibly be. We don't live in a big metropolitan area so our doctor's don't see many bizarre or unsual things here.

Mom said she researched it and how she talks about it leads me to believe she isn't too worried about it but I honestly can't say that I am not worried....I mean I have a group of children that may be or could be being exposed to this. I worry about them and their families and she is only seeing things from her point of view...kwim?

I feel for her, I really really do, but I HAVE to worry about the whole group of kids I care for and I do feel like if I exclude until an absolute answer is given, that I would be putting her and her whole family in a bind they really can't emotionally and financially afford to be in.

Mom did say she was going to re-treat baby with the probiotic she had from before and see if that works. My issue though is simply pack of info about this. I like to know ALL I can about something before I can make an educated leap in one direction or another so....

Ugh...I just don't know what to do. (*sigh*)
I am just not getting how she's not worried about it. It's not normal for a baby to do that. I would get a referral from my doc to someone else if they can't figure it out. You absolutely have to be concerned about the other kids. most definately. It's too bad, but you may have to maybe call your doctor and ask them. It's a shame that you would have to do that, it should be the moms job, but if she's not stepping up then you have to do what you have to do. My cousin is a PA, I can send her an email and ask her.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 09-20-2012
Have you noticed the pink color in bottles of breast milk? Have you noticed it in other brands of formula? if not, I would call the manufacturer of the formula and make sure there is no recall on it.
The baby has not been on breast milk for a few weeks now. The baby gets strictly formula. We have used 4 different kinds over the last month. One milk based but different brands/types and 2 soy based. One Target brand and one the family purchased on line that is organic and EXPENSIVE.
So I think I can safely conclude it isn't the formula.

Originally Posted by Lyss:
That is scary! I would be concerned too!

I've googled it and it seems like there are alot of threads about people having this issue but no clear answers
Yes, I have found info about it but none is concuring and none is very helpful.

Originally Posted by sharlan:
IMHO, and I am NOT a dr, I would say the baby has a bacteria in its system that needs to be treated. By sterilizing, which you do, it would help in not reinfecting. Is the mom sterilizing the bottles at home?
Mom just brought me brand new in the package bottles last week.

Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I am just not getting how she's not worried about it. It's not normal for a baby to do that. I would get a referral from my doc to someone else if they can't figure it out. You absolutely have to be concerned about the other kids. most definately. It's too bad, but you may have to maybe call your doctor and ask them. It's a shame that you would have to do that, it should be the moms job, but if she's not stepping up then you have to do what you have to do. My cousin is a PA, I can send her an email and ask her.
I actuallu called my own doctor to see if they ahd any idea. I feel like we know WHAT it is and what mom can do to cure it (specific pro-biotics or specific antibiotics) but now my real concern is the contagiousness (or lack of) of it. I have a newborn in care as well as a few kids with compromised immune systems and my DH is also a type 1 diabetic so he also has a compromised immune system.

Ugh... I even called the CDC and the gal couldn't help me but did pass on the info to an "expert specialist" and said they will research and get back to me.
Lyss 10:18 AM 09-20-2012
Ugh... I even called the CDC and the gal couldn't help me but did pass on the info to an "expert specialist" and said they will research and get back to me.
Hopefully they get back to you! I'm interested in hearing what they have to say too!
mema 10:45 AM 09-20-2012
((hugs bc))

What a sucky situation to be in. I would be tempted to say stay out until we know for sure if it is contagious, but obviously everybody has been exposed if it has been going on for so long. How long has she known about it???

Hopefully the CDC will call you back ASAP with some good news. Hang in there and scream a little I haven't heard ya in a while down here Sure you heard me earlier tho
WImom 10:51 AM 09-20-2012
That is scary! I would be concerned too about everyone else getting it. Also that she's staining stuff.

Hopefully they will get back to you soon.
kimsdaycare 11:10 AM 09-20-2012
I found one article that specifically mentions preemies being at risk for complications due to Serratia Marcescens. It is a rather alarming article though, and I would be careful to not jump to any conclusions from reading it as this child sounds otherwise very healthy. You have to be careful what you trust on the internet kwim?

I would however push for a confirmation from my physician of whether this is or isn't what you are dealing with and the exact risks involved, especially since the child is in group care. "Not really concerned" wouldn't be an answer I would be comfortable with after reading that article.

I found lots of info about how it is found in humid places like bathrooms etc, and how it is hard to kill. Nothing concrete about contagiousness, and the risk involved if you cannot kill it. That is what is driving me nuts.

Edited to add the article link: http://deadlymicrobes.com/serratia-marcescens-symptoms
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
I found one article that specifically mentions preemies being at risk for complications due to Serratia Marcescens. It is a rather alarming article though, and I would be careful to not jump to any conclusions from reading it as this child sounds otherwise very healthy. You have to be careful what you trust on the internet kwim?

I would however push for a confirmation from my physician of whether this is or isn't what you are dealing with and the exact risks involved, especially since the child is in group care. "Not really concerned" wouldn't be an answer I would be comfortable with after reading that article.

I found lots of info about how it is found in humid places like bathrooms etc, and how it is hard to kill. Nothing concrete about contagiousness, and the risk involved if you cannot kill it. That is what is driving me nuts.

Edited to add the article link: http://deadlymicrobes.com/serratia-marcescens-symptoms
Thank you for the info (link) and YES the bolded part is exactly what is killing me too!
Blackcat31 03:20 PM 09-20-2012
Ok, so far we have pretty much come to the conclusion it IS Serratia Marcescens but really won't/don't know for sure.

I called DCM and had her pick up baby and see her pediatrician WITH the pink bottle contents and several photos of pink stains on other things.

I guess it CAN be treated with a probiotic that is made from breast milk or with antibiotic therapy but the bacteria is resistnat to ampicillin and macrolides and the child needs to have a specific culture done to make sure that it is what is suspected and that it is gone.

I guess we all have this bacteria in our bodies and in our bathroom corners and especially grout and places like that and it is usually not a big deal. However, when the "normal" bacteria in our bodies shifts ever so slightly things change big time.

I need to sterilize/sanitize EVRYTHING baby came into contact with (great right?).
It is not usually a big deal to those of us with stronger immune systems but those who have compromised or really immature ones can get a whole list of terrible symptoms and issues that can all lead to death if left untreated.

Common symtoms are chills, fever, diarrhea, nausea, and UTI's.

Not so common and worse symptoms can be shock, sepsis, convulsions, respitory distress, Meningitis Peritonitis and death.

Interestingly enough if any of you remember the recall on flu vaccines a few years ago....it was related to this bacteria.

Here is a link if anyone is interested in reading some highly unusual things associated with this bacteria http://www.vaccinetruth.org/serratia_marcescens.htm

There are recorded incidents of the U.S. military testing Serratia Marcescens on U.S. citizens in the 1950's. After 1960 it was clearly identified as a harmful human pathogen and can be deadly.

There is such a wealth of info out there but it is so hard to put any of it together in my head and honestly how does one go about knowing anything unless they have experienced it or know someone who has or did?

So that is my update so far....once baby has an OFFICIAL diagnosis, I will keep you all posted. Mom said, she really never thought anything about it and kept passing it off as nothing. I can see how a new baby can be a distraction and besides the baby (nor her) appeared to be sick in any way shape or form so really who knew?

Thank you for all the support and help ladies and as I find out more, I will keep you updated.
daycare 03:22 PM 09-20-2012
Ok, so far we have pretty much come to the conclusion it IS Serratia Marcescens but really won't/don't know for sure.

I called DCM and had her pick up baby and see her pediatrician WITH the pink bottle contents and several photos of pink stains on other things.

I guess it CAN be treated with a probiotic that is made from breast milk or with antibiotic therapy including ampicillin and macrolides but the child needs to have a specific culture done to make sure that it is what is suspected and that it is gone.

I guess we all have this bacteria in our bodies and in our bathroom corners and especially grout and places like that and it is usually not a big deal. However, when the "normal" bacteria in our bodies shifts ever so slightly things change big time.

I need to sterilize/sanitize EVRYTHING baby came into contact with (great right?).
It is not usually a big deal to those of us with stronger immune systems but those who have compromised or really immature ones can get a whole list of terrible symptoms and issues that can all lead to death if left untreated.

Not so common and worse symptoms can be shock, sepsis, convulsions, respitory distress, Meningitis Peritonitis and death.

Interestingly enough if any of you remember the recall on flu vaccines a few years ago....it was related to this bacteria.

Here is a link if anyone is interested in reading some highly unusual things associated with this bacteria http://www.vaccinetruth.org/serratia_marcescens.htm

There are recorded incidents of the U.S. military testing Serratia Marcescens on U.S. citizens in the 1950's. After 1960 it was clearly identified as a harmful human pathogen and can be deadly.

There is such a wealth of info out there but it is so hard to put any of it together in my head and honestly how does one go about knowing anything unless they have experienced it or know someone who has or did?

So that is my update so far....once baby has an OFFICIAL diagnosis, I will keep you all posted. Mom said, she really never thought anything about it and kept passing it off as nothing. I can see how a new baby can be a distraction and besides the baby (nor her) appeared to be sick in any way shape or form so really who knew?

Thank you for all the support and help ladies and as I find out more, I will keep you updated.
holy cow that is so scary......CAT you are so amazing to have figured this out and was so proactive about it. Great JOB......
Country Kids 04:18 PM 09-20-2012

I guess it CAN be treated with a probiotic that is made from breast milk or with antibiotic therapy including ampicillin and macrolides but the child needs to have a specific culture done to make sure that it is what is suspected and that it is gone.

BC, Where did you find the information about it being in our bathroom. We put in a new tub 2 years ago and we suddenly started getting this orangey/pink stuff appearing on it! It comes off but I always thought how weird because we never had it on our old tub.
MNMum 08:16 PM 09-20-2012
Putting all this together, as I skimmed through the whole story, many things make sense as to why this is happening now.

This baby was a preemie and therefore, probably has a less than optimal immune system, therefore, the bacterial could get out of control.

Switching from breastmilk to formula messes up the flora in the intestinal tract in a HUGE way. Also, with all the switching around of formulas, this is probably exasperating the problem. It is very important that this baby be kept on only one type of formula. The bacteria may also have been contributing to the difficulties to find a formula that would work for the baby.

Sounds like this mother has a lot on her plate. She is lucky to have you around to help her navigate this problem, before it gets out of hand.
Oneluckymom 09:32 PM 09-20-2012
Great blackcat !! I can't wait to hear what the doctor finds out !! At least they will get to the bottom of it !! WHEN IN DOUBT CHECK IT OUT !
countrymom 04:53 AM 09-21-2012
I've never heard of this.
Unregistered 07:52 PM 01-04-2013
Hi,
Any updates on this? I asked because I just had this happened with my daughters bottle...what was left in the bottled turned bright pink!
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 01-05-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi,
Any updates on this? I asked because I just had this happened with my daughters bottle...what was left in the bottled turned bright pink!
Parents found the necessary pro-biotic from a health food store. Gave it to baby and now the baby has NO signs of this bacteria anymore.

The baby is no longer breast fed and is eating regularly with no more signs of pink.

Although, scary, confusing and perplexing (and possibly serious), it turned out ok and all is well with just a simply probiotic.
Sprouts 11:51 AM 01-05-2013
wow I just finished reading through all of the posts, that def. sounds like a mystery diagnosis case! (except they like people that are in terrible pain and nearly dying...glad you guys dont fit that description!) Anyways I am glad to hear you have found the cause and cure!
Scout 07:48 PM 01-05-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
wow I just finished reading through all of the posts, that def. sounds like a mystery diagnosis case! (except they like people that are in terrible pain and nearly dying...glad you guys dont fit that description!) Anyways I am glad to hear you have found the cause and cure!
I actually think something like this was on mystery diagnosis! it was one of those shows. Mom's breastmilk would turn pink after sitting. Weird!
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 01-06-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
I actually think something like this was on mystery diagnosis! it was one of those shows. Mom's breastmilk would turn pink after sitting. Weird!
Yes, the Mystery Diagnosis episode along with the suggestion from Oneluckymom about it possibly being Serratia Marcescens (which I had NEVER heard of until she mentioned it) we found all sorts of info as well as what to do to fix/cure it.

It was one of the strangest things I have/had ever seen or dealt with.

I am glad that it has been addressed and that the baby is all better now.

Not only is this group of members fun, helpful and supportive but very educational too!
Sprouts 07:59 AM 01-06-2013
Yes, the Mystery Diagnosis episode along with the suggestion from Oneluckymom about it possibly being Serratia Marcescens (which I had NEVER heard of until she mentioned it) we found all sorts of info as well as what to do to fix/cure it.

It was one of the strangest things I have/had ever seen or dealt with.

I am glad that it has been addressed and that the baby is all better now.

Not only is this group of members fun, helpful and supportive but very educational too!
Yes I agree, I'm so happy to have found this forum...I try to ask my husband his opinions on some things but he always asks...well what did the forum say? Lol

When in doubt....go to daycare forum! Lol
Unregistered 08:27 AM 05-23-2013
Do you know how they were able to determine it was serratia? Did they do a culture or something? I think my baby might have this and trying to find some answers.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you know how they were able to determine it was serratia? Did they do a culture or something? I think my baby might have this and trying to find some answers.
From all the research we did, it was very clear that is was serratia due to the hot pink color being unmistakable.

What the family did was go to their local health food store and get a probiotic that was apparently made from breast milk and gave it to the baby according to the directions.

It cleared up immediately and we never saw a single drop of pink again.

Their pediatrician said that if it wasn't serratia, the probiotic they gave the child wouldn't hurt them at all so it was worth a try.

I think the mom said she took some too so that she was sure she wasn't continually passing this back again to the baby.

HTH
TheirEmi 11:44 AM 05-23-2013
Are you making the bottles at daycare or is mom making them at home and bringing them to you? Hopefully mom isn't putting Benadryl or something in a bottle. ParanoidI know .....but it's the first thing that came to mind.
me too
Unregistered 10:13 AM 07-07-2013
I had serratia marcescens and my breast milk and anything the baby would spit up on would turn hot pink as well, it almost killed my son, he was throwing up so much and had the worst diarrhea he had to be in hospital for a week and was under a failure to thrive, I was also very sick by this but healed easier due to my immune system is much stronger than a baby's, very scary bacteria and i got it through the hospitals catheter. Makes you wanna take more precautions when choosing a hospital. - - Karissa
Tags:bacteria, hot pink, infant, pepto-bismol, serratia marcescens
Reply Up