Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Finally starting up after years!
auntkk 07:05 AM 02-27-2015
Hey guys! I've been reading all of your advice on here for a year but finally made my own account because we're finally starting the house buying process so I can start my daycare! We live in an apartment so I've been babysitting for a few years in preparation for this, and I've got a couple questions. I am EXTREMELY detail oriented and hate not having a plan (not that I'm not flexible, I just plan every detail way too far in advance!) so there are some things I'm not sure if I'm overthinking. First off, I will be legally unlicensed as I will never have more than 4 kids which is the limit in my state. 1. Has anyone had issues with parents trusting them if they're legally unlicensed as long as they appear organized, compassionate and professional? Also the 2 year old I babysit will be moving to my daycare and I'm very close with the family. Will it help me bring in more families if I've already got 1 kid whose family trusts me there? 2. For those legally unlicensed, do you run background checks on yourself to show people? I had planned on running one on myself and my husband (he'll be there during the day because he's 3rd shift), but if it's not necessary or no one cares I'd skip it. 3. Do you find that other home daycares are very competitive, like in a mean way? Or are they more supportive? In my house search, I'm trying to actively avoid moving to a neighborhood or area where there are other home daycares so as not to be competitive, but I worry about how I'd be treated if I accidentally moved in near someone, I'm very paranoid haha. 4. Do you think age is a factor in how successful your daycare is? I'm taking CPR classes, childcare classes, pediatric first aid classes, learning everything I can from this site and similar places, but I still wonder if I will be taken less seriously because I'm 24 with no kids. I guess that's all, thanks for reading and answering. Any other start-up advice is welcome, and I look forward to talking to and learning from you guys in the future!
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 02-27-2015
Originally Posted by auntkk:
Hey guys! I've been reading all of your advice on here for a year but finally made my own account because we're finally starting the house buying process so I can start my daycare! We live in an apartment so I've been babysitting for a few years in preparation for this, and I've got a couple questions. I am EXTREMELY detail oriented and hate not having a plan (not that I'm not flexible, I just plan every detail way too far in advance!) so there are some things I'm not sure if I'm overthinking. First off, I will be legally unlicensed as I will never have more than 4 kids which is the limit in my state. 1. Has anyone had issues with parents trusting them if they're legally unlicensed as long as they appear organized, compassionate and professional? Also the 2 year old I babysit will be moving to my daycare and I'm very close with the family. Will it help me bring in more families if I've already got 1 kid whose family trusts me there? 2. For those legally unlicensed, do you run background checks on yourself to show people? I had planned on running one on myself and my husband (he'll be there during the day because he's 3rd shift), but if it's not necessary or no one cares I'd skip it. 3. Do you find that other home daycares are very competitive, like in a mean way? Or are they more supportive? In my house search, I'm trying to actively avoid moving to a neighborhood or area where there are other home daycares so as not to be competitive, but I worry about how I'd be treated if I accidentally moved in near someone, I'm very paranoid haha. 4. Do you think age is a factor in how successful your daycare is? I'm taking CPR classes, childcare classes, pediatric first aid classes, learning everything I can from this site and similar places, but I still wonder if I will be taken less seriously because I'm 24 with no kids. I guess that's all, thanks for reading and answering. Any other start-up advice is welcome, and I look forward to talking to and learning from you guys in the future!
Welcome to the forum!

I can't answer any of your questions about being legally unlicensed as that is not an option in my state so I have no experience with any of that.

As far as other daycares being supportive or competitive, I think it is an equal mix. Some providers are super helpful and willing to mentor new providers and other providers think anyone taking in kids is competition and are not very helpful at all.

As for age, I think it is a good, bad and neutral thing. Some parents want a provider the same age, other parents want an older provider and some simply do not care.

Same goes for kids. Some parents want a provider with no kids so there is no worries about favoritism and some want a provider with kids so they can share with each other when they go through the same stages of learning and growing.

So bottom line is YOU are what makes you unique about your business and some parents will connect with you right off and others won't. There is a right and wrong fit for every family and figuring out how to manage who is and isn't a good fit is one of the keys to loving this job and having an easy time with it.

Good luck! Stick around here and read and share and you will learn a lot!
laundrymom 09:52 AM 02-27-2015
Welcome!! I've been licensed since 87 so have no answers for you but one bit of advice when searching for new home. Check your covenants. I'd hate you to buy the perfect home only to find out you can't run a business from it.
Unregistered 02:05 AM 02-28-2015
First off I don't think you are too young. Now 18/19 would be young but not 24.
I know other providers who started before they had kids and did fine.

I can't imagine putting other family day care centers into the mix of house hunting. It's hard enough to find the right home! You may pass up a great home and a neighboring provider closes in a few months and you passed it up. I'd buy the house I wanted and NOT worry. Especially since you are only planning on taking four kids.

Surely that you already have a child you watch will help.
Being unlicensed could work against you, but I don't know what your area is like.

Good luck!
Reply Up