Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>no nap
melissa ann 08:01 AM 10-20-2011
So, dcm told me that if her daughter doesn't want to take a nap, don't let her. This way she will sleep better for her.
I don't think so. This girl just turned 4. Yesterday, girl said she didn't want to take a nap. Too bad. I told her to lay down and rest. I have mentioned this girl and her mom before. Girl makes the rules not mom. Well, I"m sorry, my house, my rules. Everyone naps. I need that 2 hour time for myself. I would like any of my dcps to do my job for one day. Then they will understand that the kids need to rest(for the kids sake as well as theirs) Plus, the acitivity level here is more active than at home and they do get tired by 12:30-1pm.
Anyway, I believe I read somewhere that in my state, children under 5 are required to have a nap/rest time.
cheerfuldom 08:07 AM 10-20-2011
Just stick to your policies. You are not forcing the child to sleep, you are requiring a rest period. whether they fall asleep or not is up to them. Just let the mom know (if you must say anything) that your program includes a two hour rest period. If her daughter has outgrown that, she has outgrown the program and needs to find one that allows for a child to go without a nap all day.
Country Kids 08:09 AM 10-20-2011
Our state requires a rest time but no specific amount of time. I'm struggling big time with nap here. I'm to the point of having them rest for about 15 min. and then let them play the rest of the time. They can be tired and grumpy on mom and dads time. Its getting to the point I totally dread naptime coming because of how bad they are getting.

Also, if parents find out that there is no specific amount of time required from your state you may have parents fighting you on that also.
Cat Herder 08:18 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
So, dcm told me that if her daughter doesn't want to take a nap, don't let her.
"OK, I can do that. You will need to be here to pick her up for the day by 1pm. See you then!!"
melissa ann 09:03 AM 10-20-2011
When I said 2 hours, that's the average time the kids nap. Some days it may be 1 1/2 hours other times it can be 2 1/2-3. If they sleep, I let them sleep.
I can't seem to find where I read about rest time for children under 5. But, I will tell mom that all children will go down for rest time after lunch. Within 20mins all the kids are asleep and most times it's half that time. I will tell her if she's up after 30 mins she may get up and do quiet activities.
melissa ann 09:04 AM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
"OK, I can do that. You will need to be here to pick her up for the day by 1pm. See you then!!"
I would love to tell her that.
Reply Up