Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Carpet Or Hardwood Floors?
DEBBIES DAYCARE 09:36 AM 07-01-2011
I have a room thats just for my daycare. I'm going to be giving it a face lift soon (paint, new lights, ect.) Ive always had hard wood floors and it is an easy clean up. Sweep and mop. But it lacks that cozy warm feeling I love and Ive been considering a very low pile wall to wall carpeting. Am I crazy?
TBird 09:45 AM 07-01-2011
I wouldn't say that you're crazy but my daycare room is all hardwood and I wouldn't give it up for the WORLD!!! With allergies these days and just the overall yuckiness of carpet (especially with kids) I just love my hardwood. Plus, I have the primary colored rubber tiles in the middle of the floor which gives it a "kiddie" look, plus the rubber tiles are easy to sweep, vacuum & wipe down with a damp cloth.
SilverSabre25 09:55 AM 07-01-2011
Ditto to the hard floor, whether it's wood or something else. You can use area rugs to give it a cozier feel if you want because they are still easy to toss in the washer.

With a hard floor you can not worry about potty accidents or about art projects, you could do water play inside in the winter, you don't have to pay for carpet cleaning...the advantages are possibly endless.
Crazy8 09:57 AM 07-01-2011
I have wood laminate (would prefer real wood, maybe someday) and like others said, its sooo much easier to clean. I have a larger area rug in the middle - it holds up ok but they are easily replaced when they start to get ratty looking too.

Spilled sippy cups, potty accidents, etc.... all so much easier with the wood floors.
PitterPatter 11:57 AM 07-01-2011
I would like a little of each myself. I have carpet now simply because the wood is too old and would cost too much to repair/replace. I would like to have hardwood for easy clean up and have a cozy corner still carpeted in the book area. Maybe just get a large area rug for the cozy section along with some oversized pillows... I'm gonna start daydreaming about my dream daycare now and get all bummed out! lol

If I were u I would try a large area rug 1st that way it dosent coat as much and isn't as permanent if u should change your mind.
Unregistered 12:23 PM 07-01-2011
I've had both...carpet for 10 years and hard wood for 15. I absolutely love my wood floors and would never go back to carpet! Much easier to clean and always looks nice. I have big inexpensive area rugs that can easily be replaced to make it comfy and cozy.
TBird 12:24 PM 07-01-2011
Just thought I'd post a pic of my hardwood/rubber mat mix...
Attached: Daycare 1e.JPG (106.6 KB) 
Michael 12:26 PM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Looks great!
MarinaVanessa 12:38 PM 07-01-2011
Oh your area looks so good!! I'd LOVE to have hardwood floors. I have tile now but if and when we purchase a bigger home I definitely will save up for hardwood floors. It's so easy to just get a large area rug to pit over it to soften it up (I do that now with the tile). And yes it's so much cleaner.
grandmom 03:23 PM 07-01-2011
I have both. I'd choose wood only if I could. The carpet is quiet, but attracts dirt, slobber, and other stuff. Blocks don't sit straight on carpet. I think wood IS cozy. Just add some area rugs.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 04:02 PM 07-01-2011
I like that rug! Ive also seen the ones that have a "road" for the kids to drive their little cars on. yeah I probably should keep the floors. Its easy to clean and its easy pushing for the toy baby carriages and things.
thanks peeps!
daycare 04:03 PM 07-01-2011
I have carpet and hate it. I vacuum 3 times a day, I have them steam cleaned every other month and spot clean all the time. I built a tile/foam board that sits on top of the carpet on one side of the room. This is where we paint, craft, and do play dough.....
sharlan 07:22 PM 07-01-2011
Most of my downstairs is tile. Only the family room and the playroom have carpet. If my dh, sil, and the tv weren't so loud, I'd rip out the carpet and put tile in the family room. The carpet absorbs some of the noise.

As for the playroom, I'm saving up for laminate. I am so sorry that I put carpet in there.
permanentvacation 12:59 PM 07-05-2011
I've moved a couple of times and had carpet, tile, and wood floors in my daycare area. Here are my thoughts...

Carpet - don't like having in the daycare room at all - a pain to keep clean, problems with potty accidents, have to vaccuum (can use a little hand held one, but still a pain to me - I think sweeping is easier) after each meal if you want to keep crumbs up, have to get it shampooed, etc. big pain to keep clean and looking nice - trust me, parents notice the smallest stain! However, I do feel safest with carpet when the little ones fall - it has much more cushion for their heads as they fall down!

Hardwood - second favorite - liked it alot! My husband at the time went to Home Depot and got some kind of stain or finish of some kind that they said schools use on their gym floors. It made the floor shine and looked georgous! It held up for years of chairs being pushed across it with only me having to sweep and clean it as usual. Potty messes, spills, even paint spills (always used washable paint), etc. were easily cleaned up. However, I was always nervous when someone fell face first.

Tile - my favorite - except for their heads hitting the floor! But after a fall or two, they learned to keep their heads from hitting the floor! I lived in Florida for a short time - the tiles were real tiles - the hard real tiles - not glue down thin plastic sheets. Basically it was the same as having hardwood, but didn't even have to stain it!

If I could chose one to put on my floor right now, I'd put tiles.
Nene 03:26 PM 05-27-2017
Can u have carpet in daycare center when license?
CityGarden 05:34 PM 05-27-2017
I have tile floors now and love it especially with the kids..... it is easy to clean!!! If you want to add warmth you can do it with rugs or warm furnishings.
bklsmum 06:51 PM 05-27-2017
I have carpet and would KILL to get rid of it and do wood or tile instead!
ColorfulSunburst 09:33 PM 05-27-2017
my five cents:

tile floor is easy to clean but if a kid fall down ...
carpet floor is a dust collector (a big-big no for me)
Wood floor is easy to clean, is not so dangerous if a kid falls on it, doesn't collect dust.
By my opinion, wood floor is a winner.
284878 10:33 AM 05-28-2017
The bumping of this thread is perfect timing for me. We are spending this weekend replacing our carpet with laminate.

The carpet was full of stains from spills and spit.
Attached: 12.jpg (158.8 KB) 
Meeko 08:11 PM 05-29-2017
I hate my carpet! One day I want the tile that looks like wood!
Tags:carpet, floor - hardwood, flooring, flooring - carpet
Reply Up