Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Vegetarian Protein Options
mamamanda 09:13 AM 04-24-2015
Can someone give me some ideas of what to serve for the protein/entree at lunch for a child who doesn't eat meat? I try to serve only real food on my menus, but I do incorporate meat at lunch time most of the time. Other than peanut butter I'm having a hard time thinking of what options I could do. I realize that's just because meat has always been considered the entree in our family which isn't necessarily a healthy thing, but I honestly don't know how to go about preparing meals for new dcg who is a vegetarian. Dcm said her dad is really strict about it, but she allows her to taste whatever is being served, but typically they don't serve her meat. So...she's not asking me to tweak my menus. She said whatever I serve will be fine and dcg can eat it, or just eat the veggie, but I'd like to have some options for her. Thanks!
MissAnn 11:42 AM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Can someone give me some ideas of what to serve for the protein/entree at lunch for a child who doesn't eat meat? I try to serve only real food on my menus, but I do incorporate meat at lunch time most of the time. Other than peanut butter I'm having a hard time thinking of what options I could do. I realize that's just because meat has always been considered the entree in our family which isn't necessarily a healthy thing, but I honestly don't know how to go about preparing meals for new dcg who is a vegetarian. Dcm said her dad is really strict about it, but she allows her to taste whatever is being served, but typically they don't serve her meat. So...she's not asking me to tweak my menus. She said whatever I serve will be fine and dcg can eat it, or just eat the veggie, but I'd like to have some options for her. Thanks!
Black beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans, eggs and cheese.
nothingwithoutjoy 11:44 AM 04-24-2015
Beans, nuts, cheese, yogurt, peas, eggs. And don't forget there's protein in lots of foods: green veggies, whole grains, etc. It adds up.
Unregistered 02:23 PM 05-04-2015
Does she eat fish?

What about tuna melts?
Grilled cheese
Cottage cheese
Breakfast skillet for lunch-potatoes (cooked), eggs (beaten) cheese
Homemade Mac n cheese
Scrambled eggs
Cooked egg on an English muffin
Rachel 12:26 AM 05-06-2015
There was a long thread on this a while ago, but I'm not the best searcher .

My kids like beans and rice (I do homemade baked beans with the little white beans from scratch in the crock pot, not hard at all), lentils & rice, falafal (not hard to make especially with canned chickpeas), stir fry tofu, BBQ tofu, hearty veggie soup with chickpeas over couscous, quiche, red dragon pie, can't think of anything else now. By the way, a lot of things you can do with ground beef you can do with lentils (red dragon pie, sloppy joe, meatballs, etc).
childcaremom 02:39 AM 05-06-2015
Beans. Very versatile

Quesadillas, bean balls, bean burgers, shepherds pie, pasta fajioli, chili

Dairy?
mamamanda 05:46 PM 05-16-2015
Rachel, what is red dragon pie? And would you mind sharing your recipe for baked beans?
Rachel 03:35 AM 05-17-2015
Red Dragon Pie:
http://veganfamily.co.uk/red-dragon-pie/

I use a combo of lentils, white beans, different seasonings. But the idea is ground "beef" on the bottom with veggies and / or rice, and mashed potatoes on top.

Baked beans, Ido white beans, soaked overnight. Then cook up the beans with tomato puree, soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, etc. Serve over rice.
Indianadaycare 11:45 AM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
soups: kale and bean soup, lentil soup, vegetable soup, etc My dc toddler loves these! Recipes can be found online.
Reply Up