Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When do you transition kids out of high chairs?
LittleScholars 11:53 AM 05-08-2017
For those of you that use little tables, when do you transition kids? I've only ever taken kids 18+ months, but I'm taking a 14 month old sibling in September. I do have a transitional seat (little booster with a high back and attached tray) I can use until he's ready.

Also, do you feed your younger ones at the same time as the bigger kids? At that time, I'll have the 14 month old and my own 8 month old nursing/on solids.
happymom 12:23 PM 05-08-2017
The daycare my kids go to uses the little table for all kids over 12 months and highchairs for infants only.
LysesKids 12:31 PM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
For those of you that use little tables, when do you transition kids? I've only ever taken kids 18+ months, but I'm taking a 14 month old sibling in September. I do have a transitional seat (little booster with a high back and attached tray) I can use until he's ready.

Also, do you feed your younger ones at the same time as the bigger kids? At that time, I'll have the 14 month old and my own 8 month old nursing/on solids.
I don't use highchairs... I have special imported wooden boosters w/3 part harness that attach to my regular chairs & kids start @ the dining table at 7 months as long as they can sit up by themselves. I only care for babes 6 weeks -18 months. Everyone eats at the same time except infants that I have to hold bottles for
AmyKidsCo 01:14 PM 05-08-2017
Kiddos transition out of the high chair to a booster at the table anywhere between 18 mos and 2 years. It depends on the child's development, whether I've got another baby who needs the high chair, if there's space at the table, etc.
Pestle 01:38 PM 05-08-2017
No high chairs here. I have a Mamas & Papas Baby Snug chair:
https://www.amazon.com/Mamas-Papas-B.../dp/B004ZHXWB8

Which I love. And a Fisher-Price booster seat with a three-point harness, which is adequate:
https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...=feeding+chair
But the tray is useless; it doesn't stay on.

As soon as they can sit unsupported without wobbling, they move to the Community Playthings Me-Do-It chairs at a tiny low table:
http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...5-medoit-chair

Big toddlers, of course, go in regular kid-scaled furniture.
jenboo 02:02 PM 05-08-2017
Kids who can't sit insisted are held on my lap while they eat. I sit next to the tiny table. Once they can sit unassisted, they sit on the floor with a tv tray. Once they are pulling themselves up to standing, they upgrade to the little toddler table and tiny chairs.
Lovatic24 06:00 PM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I don't use highchairs... I have special imported wooden boosters w/3 part harness that attach to my regular chairs & kids start @ the dining table at 7 months as long as they can sit up by themselves. I only care for babes 6 weeks -18 months. Everyone eats at the same time except infants that I have to hold bottles for
do you have link to these? or something similar?
Unregistered 06:30 PM 05-08-2017
My kids transition about 14 mo. I have one child's chair that has little sides that help keep them in. The rest sit at the cute IKEA chairs that have the animal carvings on the back.
LysesKids 07:54 PM 05-08-2017
Originally Posted by Lovatic24:
do you have link to these? or something similar?
Amazon stopped selling them for the most part after 2014; I bought mine in 2010... if you can find them it's because Stokke bought out the Miniu Co and the $$ went haywire... I bought mine for 125, Stokke sells similar for 180+ and only in the red on amazon; I have the original antique brown... I also own 2 of the infant cushion inserts which cost less a few years ago lol. Eco friendly, but for the most part unobtainable now. I am grateful I got them when I did. This is the closest to what I own... no it's not exact, but close
closest.

flying_babyb 09:45 PM 05-08-2017
as soon as they hit one, there at the "tiny" table with the mini chairs https://reynoldstx.com/?/store/items/toddler-table-1 a shorter version of that!

Blackcat31 06:44 AM 05-09-2017
Originally Posted by happymom:
The daycare my kids go to uses the little table for all kids over 12 months and highchairs for infants only.
This is how I do it too!

Under 12 months and they have their own meal plans and patterns so they sit in the high chair.

Around 9+ months I start serving snack at the table verses the high chair but it depends on the child's ability.

By their 1st birthday, they are sitting at the table for meals and snacks and following the same menu and meal patterns as the older kids.
LittleScholars 08:41 AM 05-09-2017
As always, I'm so glad I asked! I was dreading having to get and manage another high chair, but it seems like most of you don't at 14 months.
trix23 03:02 PM 05-09-2017
For me, it depends on the child's height as well. If they are too short to use the 2-5 year old size table, I have them in a high chair. Messy eaters wear bibs with catch pockets to keep clothing changes to a minimum.

I want to get a 1 year old size table but it would be like $200 and that's about 1/2 my weekly income so we will have to wait for that.
Pepperth 03:50 AM 05-10-2017
The kids just use my kitchen table, so I just moved them when I need the highchair for the next child. I also have a restaurant style chair I can use.
hwichlaz 06:07 AM 05-10-2017
Short answer, when they are ready. That's different for each child. When they get close to two, I start trying the table for snacks. If they can stay seating while eating, then we do lunch and breakfast too and put the highchair in the closet. If they can't, it's back in the high chair. I have one that turned two in March that is no where near ready yet...but the last kid transitioned easily a couple months before his 2nd birthday.
Reply Up