Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Out Of Town When Payment Is Due
Luke25 01:07 PM 05-27-2017
Hi! I have a parent that is going to be out this week and my payment for the month is due on the first. They won't be back until the 5th. Do you ask that they give you a check before they leave if they will be gone when payment is due? It's just hard to wait because they pay only once a month and I have bills due. She has two kids so that's half of my income. I was thinking of asking them to leave a check in their mailbox for me and I would pick it up, but I feel kind of guilty doing that.
LysesKids 01:12 PM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by Luke25:
Hi! I have a parent that is going to be out this week and my payment for the month is due on the first. They won't be back until the 5th. Do you ask that they give you a check before they leave if they will be gone when payment is due? It's just hard to wait because they pay only once a month and I have bills due. She has two kids so that's half of my income. I was thinking of asking them to leave a check in their mailbox for me and I would pick it up, but I feel kind of guilty doing that.
I always get my payment before they leave on vacation if they will be gone over a Due date ( I ask for it the last day the child will attend before vacation); I do cash & credit only, no checks... I'm also paid once a month and it's in my written policies that fees are due no later than drop-off time on the first & how it's handled when the first is on a weekend (payment due the Friday before)
sahm1225 01:33 PM 05-27-2017
I wouldn't feel guilty, they know it's due on the 1st. If you were a landlord and the tenant was out of town, they are still expected to pay on time, so why shouldn't we?
Luke25 01:36 PM 05-27-2017
Ok great. Thank you all! That makes me feel better.
I actually didn't know they were leaving yet. She forgot to tell me exact dates so I was kind of panicking since I didn't plan to get paid late. But yes that totally makes sense. Can't pay your bills late just because you are out of town!! Lol!!
CityGarden 05:37 PM 05-27-2017
My parents pay electronically so I would still expect it on time.... but if not I would ask her to post date the check for the 1st.
bklsmum 06:49 PM 05-27-2017
I require parents to pay before they leave, even if it is a post dated check. My payday is not changing because of their vacation.
trix23 11:06 AM 05-28-2017
You can always invoice them through the Square App for the due date. It sends it to their phone through text and/or email so they'd get it. If not, they should pay before they go or give a post-dated check.

I wouldn't go to someone else's house to pick up my payment though... If it were my client, I'd tell them that if they pay late on the 5th that late payment fees would accrue and that they would owe $125 extra ($25/day late, beginning at 12pm/noon each day) in addition to the tuition. That'll light the fire under their hiney ;]
e.j. 01:53 PM 05-28-2017
I would help them out with a reminder that payment is due on the first if they want to avoid late fees.
Luke25 02:42 PM 05-28-2017
Thanks for the advice everyone!
I didn't mind going to their house. These people are like family and they always pay on time.she is on call today and tomorrow and they are leaving Tuesday morning. I honestly think she just didn't think about. I just wanted to make sure I was in the right by requesting they pay beforehand.
I love the close relationship I have developed with my parents but sometimes it makes the business side a little more difficult. I always feel like I'm asking a friend for money if they forget a check and I have to remind.
This is my first child care group so I'm learning as I go. I'll probably be a little more clear about my payment policy with my next group. So far my parents this time are amazing and I haven't had any issues except a couple of times having to remind and it always comes the next day. I may not be so lucky next time...
trix23 06:12 AM 05-30-2017
If you don't already have one I suggest you have policies in your handbook about when payment is due what happens if payment isn't made on time what time and day is considered on time how payment is accepted etc. For example for me if parents don't pay on time they pay $25 per day in late fees. they need to pay exact cash or I take checks or credit cards w/ 5% added. if they don't pay on time by Monday morning when they come they're not allowed in care that day. I suggest you make an adjustment to your handbook it's called an "addendum". The new policy addendum home with all clients and have them sign the last page of it and return it to you within 5 business days. If they don't sign it within that timeframe or they don't agree to the policies then they cannot continue to be in your care.
daycare 07:50 AM 05-30-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
My parents pay electronically so I would still expect it on time.... but if not I would ask her to post date the check for the 1st.
what electronic system do you use?
Reply Up