Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Meat for Breakfast
mamamanda 01:27 PM 01-15-2015
I've been diligent this year about making healthier food choices for my kiddos & myself. I've read a couple places lately that kids shouldn't be served meat for breakfast and I just got info about joining the food program and noticed breakfast is supposed to be a grain & a fruit. Does anyone else serve meat/protein at breakfast time, or if not could you explain why its not recommended? We sometimes do nitrate free turkey bacon, ground turkey seasoned like sausage, or eggs. Just curious.
mamamanda 01:29 PM 01-15-2015
I have no idea how I put a winky face beside the title. So sorry.
snbauser 02:53 PM 01-15-2015
I've never heard of it being "not recommended". In fact I just today received something from my FP about the USDA requesting feedback on a proposed rule change that says "allow an optional meat or meat alternate to be served at breakfast in lieu of some grains" I've also heard rumors that they are considering requiring a meat/protein at breakfast.
Play Care 03:08 PM 01-15-2015
Our food program rep claimed that the issue is what meats are usually served for breakfast - bacon, sausage, etc.
I try to serve eggs at least once a week. I think the kids seem peppier on the days I do.
Josiegirl 03:16 PM 01-15-2015
Haha winky face

Our food program person said we're supposed to feed protein 3x a week for breakfast, such as cheese, eggs, meats, peanut butter. I'm not sure if it means we *have* to or not but I do anyways. I don't buy bacon or sausage but will serve ham once in awhile. But it's mostly eggs, p.b. or cheese.

As a side note, we're supposed to serve beans 1x a week with lunch. Are these requirements nationwide or different in each state?
AuntTami 03:20 PM 01-15-2015
I'm not on the food program, but I don't really serve meat with breakfast either, but I try to still get some protein in, whether it's through eggs, peanut butter or yogurt. The breakfast meats tend to be fattening and kiddo's don't need that extra fat.
SignMeUp 06:59 PM 01-15-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Haha winky face

Our food program person said we're supposed to feed protein 3x a week for breakfast, such as cheese, eggs, meats, peanut butter. I'm not sure if it means we *have* to or not but I do anyways. I don't buy bacon or sausage but will serve ham once in awhile. But it's mostly eggs, p.b. or cheese.

As a side note, we're supposed to serve beans 1x a week with lunch. Are these requirements nationwide or different in each state?
Have never heard any of that in the north-middle of the U.S.
However,
We can't serve p.b. for lunch without an additional protein.
We can't serve homemade mac & cheese without an additional protein.

We were told they are considering changing the infant categories, allowing tofu as a protein and a bunch of other stuff. Here's the link: http://www.cacfp.org/regulations-leg...meal-patterns/
mamamanda 05:56 AM 01-16-2015
Ok, well I was just curious. Sounds like it varies a bit depending on where you live. My ds has always been extremely underweight so anything to get him to eat healthy food. Lol He loves meat so that's why I often serve it. I really am trying to make healthier choices though so maybe more peanut butter and less bacon, even if it is turkey based and nitrate free
SignMeUp 08:37 AM 01-16-2015
I've never understood how/why it varies

If you follow the link in my post above, you can also comment on the proposed changes: there is a blue link in the text, near the bottom.

Here's what the proposed plan says about meat at breakfast:
Allow an optional meat or meat alternate to be served at breakfast in lieu of some grains
melilley 11:31 AM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I've never heard of it being "not recommended". In fact I just today received something from my FP about the USDA requesting feedback on a proposed rule change that says "allow an optional meat or meat alternate to be served at breakfast in lieu of some grains" I've also heard rumors that they are considering requiring a meat/protein at breakfast.
Yep, there is a whole list of proposed changes. If I can find the link, I'll post it!
melilley 11:32 AM 01-16-2015
Never mind, the link is above, sorry.
Heidi 11:43 AM 01-16-2015
I serve snack, lunch, and "dinner", which seems to work better for my group. Snack is usually actually breakfast, and I usually serve 3 components anyway, but only claim the 2. Quite often, I do eggs, and once in a blue moon some sausages.

Lunch is always "hot", and dinner is cold, like sandwiches, cheese & crackers, etc.

Some FP's don't allow dinner until a certain time, ours doesn't care. So, I serve it at 3:30.
Heart 01:31 PM 01-19-2015
I'm working on a master list of recipes that I can pick from and about half of my breakfast ideas have either eggs or some sort of meat like vegetarian sausage or something like yogurt. Even if it's not part of the official requirements I think giving protein for breakfast will help keep children full until lunch time, since I will only be doing one official snack (in the afternoon).
melskids 10:14 AM 01-22-2015
Most people think bacon and sausage when they think about breakfast meats, but besides the typical eggs, cheeses, yogurt, and nut butters, I serve chicken, beef, and turkey for breakfast. We've done chicken or tuna salad on toast, beef soup, you name it. I seriously think they are fuller longer and behave better with a protein and veggie for breakfast instead of bread and fruit.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Our food program rep claimed that the issue is what meats are usually served for breakfast - bacon, sausage, etc.
I try to serve eggs at least once a week. I think the kids seem peppier on the days I do.
I serve a LOT of eggs, plain greek yogurt mixed with fruit, cottage cheese, and cheese. They definitely have more energy and 'hold out' longer before lunch. Protein is filling!
itlw8 03:07 PM 02-09-2015
the federal program does not require meat at breakfast but it is fine to serve it. SOME states may have added that requirement. The new requirements if they pass may include it a few times a week.

But sausage bacon and ham are not suggested. never bacon the other two may be served 1x a week so If you serve it at breakfast we were told to no write it down or you could not serve hot dogs or ham that week at lunch it would be counted in the high sodium foods.

They are wanting to add a protein to breakfast you already see it in the school breakfast. yogurt, eggs cheese are great suggestions.
Tags:breakfast, meat
Reply Up