Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Vegan
Controlled Chaos 12:30 PM 09-06-2016
My new little one is vegan. I serve almost all vegetarian meals so that's not too tricky but we eat a lot of yogurt, cheese and eggs. Do you know any good substitutes? Also, it is crock pot season, any favorite vegan crock pot meals?

Thanks in advance!
Blackcat31 12:51 PM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
My new little one is vegan. I serve almost all vegetarian meals so that's not too tricky but we eat a lot of yogurt, cheese and eggs. Do you know any good substitutes? Also, it is crock pot season, any favorite vegan crock pot meals?

Thanks in advance!
ANY time I have a child that is vegan or vegetarian (or has any "different" methods/guidelines to eating) I require the parent to supply me with a list of substitutes that meet the same nutritional equivalents to what I am required to serve/offer.

I'd ask the parent how the child gets their proteins and go from there....
LysesKids 12:52 PM 09-06-2016

Thanks in advance!
I know it's expensive, but Whole Foods is the exclusive carrier of Kite Hill Almond milk cream cheese; they have a soft white and a ravioli too. Real tasty for a non dairy cheese... I stay away from Daiya cheeses because it tastes like garbage to me (it does melt well though); coconut milk yogurt works well (I avoid Soy because of my own allergies, but I have a dcd that is also allergic to soy stuff). When it comes to a butter spread I use Earth Balance - soy & dairy free. Eggs you can use neat eggs or Ener-G; Tofu blocks can be used for a vegan egg salad, but I won't do that... silken Tofu works well to make pumpkin pie ( did this years ago as my brother is vegan)
You can sub applesauce or banana in some baked recipes.

Let me think on my crock pot recipes; I do a lot of vegetarian Ethnic meals so maybe look up other countries menus lol
Controlled Chaos 02:09 PM 09-06-2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I will ask mom for a list. I already bought some Almond milk and cheese substitute, I don't mind a little extra cost as I already buy organic milk and produce, so its not too much more. I hadn't thought of looking up ethnic food, I will do that
LysesKids 04:58 PM 09-06-2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I will ask mom for a list. I already bought some Almond milk and cheese substitute, I don't mind a little extra cost as I already buy organic milk and produce, so its not too much more. I hadn't thought of looking up ethnic food, I will do that
Every recipe on this site is VEGAN... http://www.onegreenplanet.org/channel/vegan-recipe/

I also discovered a way to make an alternate TOFU out of Chickpea flour ( Burmese Tofu); supposedly tastes more like eggs for scrambles and such
trix23 07:34 PM 02-17-2017
I personally don't accept children that have allergies or really restrictive diets as I can't accommodate them on a daily basis. If they come for drop-in care, then I can manage a day here and there, but not for ongoing.
daycare 09:05 PM 02-17-2017
Beans, lentils, tofu, (I don't eat tofu because it processed) soy butter, prantubutter, almond butter, hummus, quinoa, chia seeds, noodles without egg, all leafy greens, of course all vegetables.

I'm strict vegan I don't eat very much cooked food. So I basically eat mostly raw veggies and I probably eat hummus all day every day. Lol

I wouldn't mind a child who ate like this, I would just share my food.

You can google vegan recipes there are a ton out there
LysesKids 03:35 AM 02-18-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I personally don't accept children that have allergies or really restrictive diets as I can't accommodate them on a daily basis. If they come for drop-in care, then I can manage a day here and there, but not for ongoing.
What happens if the kid is already in care and then is found to have food allergies? Just asking because one of my little had issues lots of nasal issues but she occasionally had constipation problems; by age 2 she was tested & found to have allergies to 20+ foods alone & I had been caring for her since birth - turns out allergies to food can cause tummy issues (like severe smelly poops, constipation etc). 3/4 of the meals here were vegetarian & her favorite foods were the ones she couldn't eat anymore. They included dairy, soy, eggs, apples, mushrooms, bananas.

I now have baby brother in care & unlike her, he is only allergic to bananas that we can tell (same tummy issues she showed after he eats them). She aged out
CeriBear 03:39 AM 02-18-2017
Hummus is a good vegan food that even non vegan kids will enjoy. You can serve it with pretzels or pita bread.
Blackcat31 02:32 PM 02-18-2017
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
Hummus is a good vegan food that even non vegan kids will enjoy. You can serve it with pretzels or pita bread.
I've tried really hard to like hummus.
I really want to like hummus
I just can't though
daycare 04:12 PM 02-18-2017
A lot of people say they can't digest it very well.

There are so many flavors now it's wonderful. My favorite is eggplant hummus.
Josiegirl 04:26 PM 02-18-2017
Anyone have a tried and true hummus recipe? I've tried a couple different ones and disliked both. So I usually just buy the Sabras brand, pine nuts....it's soooo good!!
hwichlaz 02:46 PM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
What happens if the kid is already in care and then is found to have food allergies? Just asking because one of my little had issues lots of nasal issues but she occasionally had constipation problems; by age 2 she was tested & found to have allergies to 20+ foods alone & I had been caring for her since birth - turns out allergies to food can cause tummy issues (like severe smelly poops, constipation etc). 3/4 of the meals here were vegetarian & her favorite foods were the ones she couldn't eat anymore. They included dairy, soy, eggs, apples, mushrooms, bananas.

I now have baby brother in care & unlike her, he is only allergic to bananas that we can tell (same tummy issues she showed after he eats them). She aged out
Then the parents need to pack his/her food every day.
Tags:special diet, vegan, vegans, vegetarian
Reply Up