Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom... Paid For New Back Deck Today, However
LysesKids 07:43 AM 12-16-2016
it won't be finished being built until after January 1st. I paid for it in full (Lowe's) and the contractors have measured & are cutting lumber, but because of other scheduled builds, they can't finish the deck & stairs until first week in January... how does this play out for taxes? Do I deduct it this year because it's already been paid for or do I have to wait until it's built & usable.
TIA
happymom 10:44 AM 12-16-2016
If you have (or can get) an invoice/receipt for dated this year you can deduct this year.
LysesKids 10:53 AM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
If you have (or can get) an invoice/receipt for dated this year you can deduct this year.
Oh I have the contract & receipt... I did it at 9am lol. The only reason the deck won't be done until January is the contractor is backlogged and he has to work around weather (crew is real good... same guys did my front deck 3 years ago)
happymom 11:36 AM 12-16-2016
It goes by the date of your receipt. I work in accounting and sometimes I have people order stuff and ask us to invoice it before it is delivered for their tax purposes.
TomCopeland 03:44 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
it won't be finished being built until after January 1st. I paid for it in full (Lowe's) and the contractors have measured & are cutting lumber, but because of other scheduled builds, they can't finish the deck & stairs until first week in January... how does this play out for taxes? Do I deduct it this year because it's already been paid for or do I have to wait until it's built & usable.
TIA
A cash basis taxpayer can deduct expenses in the year they are paid. You paid for them in 2016 so you can deduct it in 2016.
Reply Up