Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Car Transport Insurance Questions
Mom2Two 05:01 PM 03-21-2017
I currently have a rider on our homeowner's policy for up to six children, but our seventh is starting tomorrow so I need to get coverage for up to eight (my license amount), and I also want to up our liability and make sure I have adequate auto coverage since I transport daycare kids.

Here's the email quote I received from our American Family Agent:

"Hi!
Commercial Auto for your Day Care would be $2450 a year
Commercial Policy for the Day Care up to 8 kids $917 a year

A couple of things: If you stay with the six you can stay with your homeowners and I would suggest an Umbrella policy for the liability on the car(s) up to 1 million in coverage for your Home bases business and your auto coverage."

Considering that my current car insurance is $55/month that's a pretty big jump to go to commercial!

I actually ended up signing up with Assure yesterday for eight children with a 500,000/1,000,000 policy, but I'm not really sure what those limits mean. It cost $500 odd dollars.

Also, I emailed them and left a phone message asking about transport, but I haven't received an answer back yet. There was an option on the application with Assure about non-owned vehicle, but I wasn't sure what that means either.

Does anyone have transport coverage with Assure?
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I currently have a rider on our homeowner's policy for up to six children, but our seventh is starting tomorrow so I need to get coverage for up to eight (my license amount), and I also want to up our liability and make sure I have adequate auto coverage since I transport daycare kids.

"Hi!

A couple of things: If you stay with the six you can stay with your homeowners and I would suggest an Umbrella policy for the liability on the car(s) up to 1 million in coverage for your Home bases business and your auto coverage."

Considering that my current car insurance is $55/month that's a pretty big jump to go to commercial!

I actually ended up signing up with Assure yesterday for eight children with a 500,000/1,000,000 policy, but I'm not really sure what those limits mean. It cost $500 odd dollars.

Also, I emailed them and left a phone message asking about transport, but I haven't received an answer back yet. There was an option on the application with Assure about non-owned vehicle, but I wasn't sure what that means either.

That means when I hire a bus or someone else's vehicle that I do not own, we are covered for any liability issues.

I have insurance via Assure but not for transporting.
I do not offer transportation and would not consider ever doing so.
LysesKids 09:38 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That means when I hire a bus or someone else's vehicle that I do not own, we are covered for any liability issues.

I have insurance via Assure but not for transporting.
I do not offer transportation and would not consider ever doing so.
I transported my first year & then said never again... too much liability, plus my current vehicle can't hold 4 carseats anyway. I have a rider on my homeowners that has coverage for the daycare itself, but when it comes to transportation, not happening
TomCopeland 10:57 AM 03-22-2017

"Hi!

If you get an umbrella policy you want to make sure its coverage applies to the business use of your car. Some umbrella policies only kick in for personal use.

$500,000/$1,000,000 means you have $500,000 for each occurrence and $1 million for all claims for a year. Ideally, you want $1 million/$2 million. The extra cost should be very small.

You can check my insurance directory to see if you can get a better policy here:http://tomcopelandblog.com/child-car...ce-directory-3
Mom2Two 02:12 PM 03-22-2017
Thank you to all for the very helpful advice.

I checked and Am Fam agent says "yes" that business use of my car is covered.
TomCopeland 02:31 PM 03-22-2017
Thank you to all for the very helpful advice.

I checked and Am Fam agent says "yes" that business use of my car is covered.
Ask that your agent put this in writing. If it's not in writing, you can't be positive you will be covered.
Reply Up