Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>1 Year Old Lessons?
racemom 04:45 PM 06-23-2015
Do you think 1 year olds need lesson plans? I have been in the infant room for 10 years now, and we have always played. Nothing planned, learn as you go. Well, now our center has been going through state evaluations because of all the changes. I now work with 9 - 14 month olds, and one suggestion was that I should have a written plan for each day. Circle time, art, math, science etc. So, I am wondering how you feel about this, do they need structured days or is playing only ok?
Heidi 04:51 PM 06-23-2015
I think it's ridiculous, and it's part of our QRIS, too. You get points for doing it.

Dumb, dumb, dumb!
racemom 06:00 PM 06-23-2015
Thank you! Glad I am not the only one who feels it is dumb to do lesson plans for 1 year old children!!
Heidi 06:12 PM 06-23-2015
Yeah, one of the reasons I decided to go the accreditation track for our QRIS is because I refuse to do ANY sort of written lesson plans, or participate in "the teaching cycle". I find it completely inappropriate for family childcare with a mixed age group (unless a provider WANTS to do it).

I don't do "early education", although oddly enough, my kids learn so much. We play, we talk, we do, we sing, but I don't plan much in advance, and I never do written plans. Do I set goals? Yep. Miss M (2.5) can't put on her own shoes yet, wash her own hands, or sit still while eating. She whines 75% of the time she gets meets a challenge. My goals for her? Pretty obvious.

12 mo doesn't walk. My goal: he will learn to walk. My plan? He gets to move around. LOL
KJB 10:08 PM 07-26-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
Do you think 1 year olds need lesson plans? I have been in the infant room for 10 years now, and we have always played. Nothing planned, learn as you go. Well, now our center has been going through state evaluations because of all the changes. I now work with 9 - 14 month olds, and one suggestion was that I should have a written plan for each day. Circle time, art, math, science etc. So, I am wondering how you feel about this, do they need structured days or is playing only ok?
Hi I am also in search for the same thing because of the requirements. I ran into this http://pammshouse.com/infantcurriculum.html so I plan on pulling some things here and there from it and taking out things that do not belong for nursery curriculum from the ABC Jesus Loves me 2 yr old curriculum I used for my sons. I hope it helps...I am trying to plan as well.!
Play Care 03:42 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by racemom:
At the risk of being flamed, I don't *necessarily* think it's dumb

Hear me out!

When I have little ones, I sometimes get so caught up in the physical care aspect for them - and depending on the child it can be overwhelming - that I feel as though I overlook some of the other aspects of care. I can see where having a written plan - a LOOSE one - would be helpful.

I mean, let's face it, there are days as a FCC provider that I am so busy changing diapers, getting meals, setting up activities for the big kids, getting kids down to naps, cleaning up from meals, updating paperwork, etc. That the day ends and I wonder if I even talked to the toddler And heaven forbid anyone had a need that was outside the norm, because then the day ends and I KNOW I didn't talk to the toddler much less read them a story, or sing to them, or do finger plays, or sensory, etc.

But obviously it would depend on what the requirements were for curriculum. Anything really inflexible wouldn't work.
kitykids3 11:10 AM 07-27-2015
Here we get points for having written out lesson plans and goals, etc. for each individual child connected to the WMELS. I'm the same as pp and I have told my consultants that as long as I can continue to get my 5 stars, I will not be taking the time to write all of that stuff down. I've got it all down in my head but really, as a family provider, providing high quality care, I don't have time to write it all down. If I do then it takes away from the time with the kids or my free time at night, and that is not happening. I can get 5 stars without doing all that and cramping up my hands, so I will continue as I have.
racemom 12:46 PM 07-27-2015
Thanks for the feedback. As I am working on having lesson plans in place, I am really finding we do lessons all day. I find it is easy to incorporate learning into our play. Some examples: we have little yellow ducks out. Sing 5 little ducks, count the ducks, what shapes can we put the ducks in, etc. It seems like it is more about writing down our usual play and how we can make it fit into a written curriculum. It just seemed overwhelming when we were told we had to start having lesson plans!

And yes, Play care, I see your point but I am lucky in the fact that someone else plans and cooks our meals. I have 4 little ones to take care of and I don't have to do all the other things home daycare providers do!
racemom 12:53 PM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by KJB:
Hi I am also in search for the same thing because of the requirements. I ran into this http://pammshouse.com/infantcurriculum.html so I plan on pulling some things here and there from it and taking out things that do not belong for nursery curriculum from the ABC Jesus Loves me 2 yr old curriculum I used for my sons. I hope it helps...I am trying to plan as well.!
Thank you! This has been very helpful especially in helping me realize it is the normal day to day activities, not some formal education we need to do with the infants.
Febby 08:38 PM 07-27-2015
It's a licensing requirement here for each class to have a dated lesson plan of "activities that are individualized and developmentally appropriate for each child served." It also lists the areas we're supposed to cover with our lesson plans...

I've only found infant/toddler lesson plans to be useful if they're very flexible or if there's very low ratios.
Reply Up