Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>DCP Only Open For Two Months, Already Closing?
Unregistered 10:40 PM 08-07-2015
Hello I have a difficult situation. My daycare lady has only been open for two months now, she was only just licensed and my baby was one of her first kids to be signed on. She has suddenly decided that she will be closing so that she can take a job that she apparently applied for around the same time she opened the day care. She said she didn't think she would get the job and put it out of her mind since it had been almost two months since she interviewed or did a phone interview (she wasn't clear on how this was done). She gave me and other families a two week notice today. Honestly I am shocked, why would she bother getting licensed at all if she was just going to close after only a month or so??? Now I have to look for new care!!! She has no referral to offer and won't even be able to do even part-time care. She has said very plainly that after two weeks she will NOT care for any kids. I find it very unprofessional!!! Does this happen often? I don't want to find a new home day care if this might happen again! My baby was just getting really used to being there!
Thriftylady 10:48 PM 08-07-2015
A lot of things could have happened. Maybe she has found running a home daycare isn't for her. Maybe she isn't making enough money, maybe the isolation that goes with being a childcare provider isn't for her. At the end of the day, she has to do what is right for her family. It is sad to say, but as childcare providers we always have to make hard decisions and do what is best for our families, because it has been proven that parents will drop us like a hot potato if something better for them (usually cheaper comes along). Look at it this way, if she is unhappy for whatever reason, it probably won't be a good fit anyway. Don't you want your child with someone who is happy being with children all day? Try not to take it personally, there could be so many reasons.
spedmommy4 11:09 PM 08-07-2015
To answer your question, yes, turnover in all early childhood settings is high. In the U.S., the estimated number of people who leave childcare/preschool jobs in the first few years is somewhere between 25-40%. You really have to love the job to stick with it.

In searching for care again, you may want to ask how long the provider has been in business. Long term providers tend to be in it for the long haul. Some places you can search for daycare are here on daycare.com, through your local resource & referral, or on care.com. Best of luck with your search.
Unregistered 11:35 PM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
To answer your question, yes, turnover in all early childhood settings is high. In the U.S., the estimated number of people who leave childcare/preschool jobs in the first few years is somewhere between 25-40%. You really have to love the job to stick with it.

In searching for care again, you may want to ask how long the provider has been in business. Long term providers tend to be in it for the long haul. Some places you can search for daycare are here on daycare.com, through your local resource & referral, or on care.com. Best of luck with your search.
Hello thank you. It is just annoying because I paid to hold a spot for my baby and then I paid a deposit and then I've been paying for care only to have her decide to stop all the sudden??? Would I be able to get any of this money back? I feel like I've been cheated out of my money.
permanentvacation 12:47 AM 08-08-2015
No, you shouldn't get your money back. You paid a holding fee for the time she held a spot for you and a deposit to start daycare with her. She did start watching your child. She has fulfilled her financial obligation to you for the payments you have made. She is giving you a two week's notice which gives you advanced notice of her upcoming closing and allows you time to find other child care.

It is upsetting for you and your baby that you both like the person who has been caring for your baby, have come to feel safe with her, and have become familiar with the routine of going her daycare. It is very hard for a parent to find someone that they feel they can trust to leave their baby with all day while they are at work. It is also upsetting that you and your baby will have to learn to trust and bond with a new child care provider now. However, your current provider does have the right to decide not to continue offering child care. She has the right to switch jobs.

It sounds like she really didn't have her heart in doing daycare and really wanted the job she had previously applied for, but after a while of not hearing from that job, decided to do daycare as a back-up source of income. She tried doing daycare for 2 months and as soon as the previous job called, she very likely already knew that she would rather do that job then daycare and accepted the previous job that she had applied for.

Many people try a few different jobs before they find the 'right career for them'. It's just a shame that when people 'try their hand at child care' and realize it's not for them, that it really does effect people's emotions and breaks personal bonds, trust, sense of security, makes the children lose friends they had made at that daycare, etc. But as upsetting as it is for everyone involved, your daycare provider does have the right to change jobs.

I hope you find a daycare provider that works out better for you and your baby.
auntymimi 08:50 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello I have a difficult situation. My daycare lady has only been open for two months now, she was only just licensed and my baby was one of her first kids to be signed on. She has suddenly decided that she will be closing so that she can take a job that she apparently applied for around the same time she opened the day care. She said she didn't think she would get the job and put it out of her mind since it had been almost two months since she interviewed or did a phone interview (she wasn't clear on how this was done). She gave me and other families a two week notice today. Honestly I am shocked, why would she bother getting licensed at all if she was just going to close after only a month or so??? Now I have to look for new care!!! She has no referral to offer and won't even be able to do even part-time care. She has said very plainly that after two weeks she will NOT care for any kids. I find it very unprofessional!!! Does this happen often? I don't want to find a new home day care if this might happen again! My baby was just getting really used to being there!
I had this happen to me a lot before I became a provider myself. One had heart problems and had to quit, as well she should. One went on vacation and decided to stay. One retired. This was in a span of 1 1/2 years. It's a hard job. It happens.
Josiegirl 04:09 AM 08-09-2015
Things happen. I can understand your frustration and hesitation about finding a reliable daycare. I highly doubt she went through all of that process lightly; going through the whole licensing process(in most states) is no small feat. I'm sure what she told you was the truth and it was probably hard for her too.
And no, I don't believe you'd be eligible for any of the money back. Why would you? As long as she followed everything in her contract, she should be good. And you did receive 2 week notice, which is pretty standard.
Just want to wish you the best of luck with your new search!
I have to add that my most recent dck(she's been with me a year now)came to me by way of a mutual friend. Dcm had posted on FB that she'd just found out(on a Friday) that her prospective dc could no longer take her dd the following Monday. She was in a complete panic for daycare. My friend(and dcm) suggested she call me. It's worked out great. I'm telling you this to give you confidence that it will all work out for the best. Maybe you can spread the word through your FB friends that you're looking for dc again?
daycarediva 10:34 AM 08-10-2015
There is a very high turnover in ECE, I am sure your provider didn't intend to be closing so early. This job really does take a certain person/personality type. There is quite a bit that goes into running a successful business, let alone the solitude, caring for children of multiple ages, licensing, income inconsistencies, lack of benefits, etc.
daycare 10:50 AM 08-10-2015
Just like with any new business when starting up there are a lot of kinks to work out and is in danger of failing. New start ups have a 50% chance of failing in their first year.

Moving forward, I would ask for referrals from other parents as well as ask the provider how long have you been in business and how much longer do you intend to be in business.

Just be honest about your experience with the next person in line. Tell them what happened with this one and what your fear is and why it is important for you to know their intentions of running their home daycare business. I have had many of people ask me this question.

did you have a contract with this provider? What does it say about this type of situation. If you with my program, you would not be getting a refund of monies paid to hold spots or for services. The only refund you would get would be for services that I did not provide and you gave a 30 day notice.
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If her contract states that she is only required to give a 2 week notice, then that is all she is required to give.

Also you took a chance with a newly licensed provider. Odds are that most daycares close up shop within the first 2 years of business. Most find the idea of being a child care provider a lot different than actually being one.

I'm sorry your child care is closing but she DID hold the spot and she DID provide services for the monies you paid so you are not entitled to anything in return.
MarinaVanessa 01:44 PM 08-11-2015
Typically a 2 weeks notice is the norm when it comes to notifying child care clients when terminating care. Whether she was closing or not it's enough time to give to clients so that they can find alternate arrangements.

Giving referrals isn't a requirement either and actually a lot of providers don't offer them because if an ex client goes to someone on the referral list that they provided and it doesn't work out then sometimes the ex clients blame the ex provider. It's nice to get a referral but not a requirement. Try googling a local child care referral agency to help with a list of local providers in your area.
Reply Up