Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Forever Late
Crazy Baby 08:10 AM 02-08-2017
Hey guys, so I have this client who is always late for drop off. More days than not I get a phone call saying they will be 30 minutes late. Sometimes I will get multiple phone calls with increasing increments of 30 minutes late at a time. This drove me crazy for a long time and then I implemented a $5 late fee for every 30 minutes that they are late. This has eased my mind a little bit when they are paying me $25-$45+ extra a month.

So now they've been showing up at 9:29 for example and since they sign in only 29 minutes late, I cannot charge them the late fee. This is really obnoxious because we still have wait for them the entire half an hour but I don't get the late fee.

How do you all handle this sort of thing?
Conoad 08:34 AM 02-08-2017
I would either change her contracted time to 930 or change your policy to 10 or 15 minute increments.
Mike 08:34 AM 02-08-2017
Simple
Just like with late pickups, the fee should be such and such a period, or any part thereof.
LysesKids 08:40 AM 02-08-2017
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
Hey guys, so I have this client who is always late for drop off. More days than not I get a phone call saying they will be 30 minutes late. Sometimes I will get multiple phone calls with increasing increments of 30 minutes late at a time. This drove me crazy for a long time and then I implemented a $5 late fee for every 30 minutes that they are late. This has eased my mind a little bit when they are paying me $25-$45+ extra a month.

So now they've been showing up at 9:29 for example and since they sign in only 29 minutes late, I cannot charge them the late fee. This is really obnoxious because we still have wait for them the entire half an hour but I don't get the late fee.

I told my late family that since they were first in, that it was only considerate that they call & let me know ( dad tends to oversleep); I was thrown the " since I'm paying for the time I expect you to be ready regardless"... I told him doesn't matter if you contract 7 or 10 hrs still same & it's a courtesy thing especially when you are scheduled 1.5 hrs before everyone else.

It's in my policies (which I reminded him also) that failure to call within 30 minutes of drop -off time could lead to me closing for the day without notice if you are the only family scheduled... (contract is terminated this Friday - child aged out).
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 02-08-2017

What are you waiting to do and WHY are you waiting?
daycarediva 08:52 AM 02-08-2017
I would either charge the late drop off fee in 15 minute increments, or in portions thereof, if their scheduled drop off is prior to 9, I would charge the fee at 9:01.

I don't even want to mess with all that. We eat at 9 (breakfast for FP, AM snack to my parents/most kids) and if you aren't here at 9, you are absent for the day. I'm not waiting around all morning.
finsup 08:53 AM 02-08-2017

First off, go about your day Don't wait on them, if they can't get here on time so be it. Dck will miss out on whatever is going on. Then change the late fee to something higher, you could go with the typical dollar a minute that a lot use for late pick ups. I would probably allow 5 mins or so, but start counting after that, not at the 30 min mark. Or, change their drop off time to the later time and not allow drop off before that point.
Sumshine 08:57 AM 02-08-2017

I had a DCM constantly late too and showing up without telling me they'd be late at like 10 am or else not showing up at all and letting me know at 11am they won't be here for the day. My last straw is when she attempted to drop DCB off at about 2:30pm (called off work for the day and didn't inform me until 2pm saying on their way to me) when she is scheduled to pick up at 5pm. Um no!

I don't do late fees unless a kid is here after 6pm or payments are late but I did end up changing my policies to have a drop off cut-off time of 8 a.m and I lock my doors until 3pm. Unless we have otherwise discussed or they have it previously scheduled with me we move on with our day at 8 a.m. when preschool starts and I will not accept any children after that. I also added a no pick ups from 1-3pm (quiet time and this includes DR appts) unless it's an emergency or something obviously. I explain I can't KEEP you from your child but constant interupting of naps makes for cranky kiddos and a hard day for me and I politely tell them basically I'll be done with them for making my days difficult.

Since the change in policies DCM has been on time or at least here before 8am! It's worked well for all and we can just move on with our day if DCB doesn't show up and not have to wonder if he's coming in at whatever time she pleases.

I explained to my other timely families that I understand emergencies are going to happen and as long as they communicate with me obviously I try my best to be flexible but I won't accept children who are constantly coming off their scheduled times after 8 a.m. since it really disrupts our day.
Crazy Baby 10:49 AM 02-08-2017
Thank you for all of the responses.

You are right, I shouldn't wait for them to go on a walk or do an activity. Also, I like the 15 minute increment fee instead of half an hour.

So I have been asking the DCK what they are doing in the morning. I know, what he says may not be accurate so I take it with a grain of salt. The other day he says "mom says we have to eat or we'll starve to death!" This seems silly to me because I have told her that I will serve him breakfast as long as he is here on time. Today I asked again and he says "we were playing race tracks and eating yogurt." Seriously?
Jupadia 11:09 AM 02-08-2017
I have one DCG3 that's part time 3 days per week. Her mom's on mat leave for the year and baby dose not go to care so she has no real set schedule. She comes anywhere between 8am and 10 am. Mom knows to text if she will not be here by snack at 9 am. Also then texts when on way. If we're out for a walk she will meet us. Mom also knows that her kid may miss craft if they get here past 930am. If crafts almost over there is no doing it the kid knows this and so dose mom. I'll do late drop offs but won't hold day for said kid. Though I don't allow drop offs or pick ups during nap and lunch time.
Lil_Diddle 12:50 PM 02-08-2017
I have a rule that children must be here by 9am. After that they are not allowed unless previously arranged with me. It is a disruption to the day. Also it used to be a waiting game. I got tired of it when I had a DCG that would randomly come late with no warning. We would wait for her to do activities or go on walks and I finally had enough. I also used to work at a center where sometimes the parent would have the day off and let their kids sleep in and then bring them right before nap. It was not fair to the child that was not tired or the teacher that had to keep them quiet just because mom or dad wanted to sleep in.
284878 06:37 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I told my late family that since they were first in, that it was only considerate that they call & let me know ( dad tends to oversleep); I was thrown the " since I'm paying for the time I expect you to be ready regardless"... I told him doesn't matter if you contract 7 or 10 hrs still same & it's a courtesy thing especially when you are scheduled 1.5 hrs before everyone else.

It's in my policies (which I reminded him also) that failure to call within 30 minutes of drop -off time could lead to me closing for the day without notice if you are the only family scheduled... (contract is terminated this Friday - child aged out).
My policy says they must call if you're going to be more than 15 minutes late. After 30 minutes late with no call is considered a no show, three no-shows is considered termination. If they call they can come as late as they want.
Depending on the history of the family and what I'm currently taking care of (children in my care are priority over whether or not a family is late) I may give them a call, to see if they're coming or I may just let them no that they are a no show.
Cat Herder 08:54 AM 02-09-2017
No.
Ariana 09:57 AM 02-09-2017
My policy states that if children are not here within an hour of their daycare drop off time (with sufficient notice of being late in the first place) they will be considered absent for the day.

$5 for 30 minutes is nothing! I would charge $15 for the first 30 minutes and then $1 a minute thereafter. You need to make it worth your while to wait or eliminate waiting altogether. For me personally I try to eliminate late fees as much as possible as they are such a hassle (which is why I have that drop off policy) but if you are ok with it start charging them a substantial fee for the inconvenience.
Reply Up