Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm At My Wits End..Help
Unregistered 07:03 AM 02-10-2017
Let me preface this .I've been an in home provider for 24 years. I have a 4 month old infant in my care..3 days a week....when I try to feed him..he'll latch onto the bottle..eat well...if I talk...the dogs bark..the phone rings.
ANYTHING....he will stop and scream..
it can take 10- 20 minutes to calm him down to try again. Of course parents and grandparents..all is well in their world. I have tried different positions..a bit quieter place..and this goes on all day...I've been doing this for 2 months with him. Just want to reach out and see if I'm missing anything..before I term to.stay sane
Thanks
Play Care 07:40 AM 02-10-2017
Is he nursed at home?

Although I don't have screamers, I know the infants I have now are very easily distracted from eating.

I can't wait until they turn 1 and we go to scheduled meal times with self feeding.
laundrymom 09:24 AM 02-10-2017
A few questions first::
How many do you have in care?
Is it typically quiet?
You said "takes 10-20 min to calm him down again" how do you do this?
Unregistered 09:50 AM 02-10-2017
BF 80% at home.
I have 7 kids..no necessarily..I've tried.a.quieter room..but kids still come to me.
Sometimes I just have to put him in the bouncy seat.
Or pop...if I can just shushing and patting his back...Sometimes nothing works
laundrymom 09:53 AM 02-10-2017
My advice.
(30 yrs experience)
Feed him. When he gets startled just lay him in his bed for a few. If he cries still it's ok. If he cries harder it's ok.
Wait a couple minutes. It will be hard.
Pick him up.
If he continues to cry put him down.
Try again in a couple minutes. Repeat until he stops crying when you pick him up. Then feed.
Repeat every time it happens.
It will get better.
Even if it feels like it won't.
Reply Up