Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holiday Pay, To Charge Or Not To?
tiny steps daycare 10:39 PM 02-10-2017
I'm starting a home daycare, i'm curious if other providers charge for holidays that are on a weekday, like christmas, thanksgiving, new year's day and so on
childcaremom 06:01 AM 02-11-2017
Yes, it's in my contract that if they fall on the weekend that I will take either the Friday or Monday off with pay.

I have about 10 paid days off through the year. I take unpaid vacation time and personal days.
Jupadia 08:02 AM 02-11-2017
I have in my contract that if a Stat day falls on your regular day then you pay normal rate for part timers. For full time they pay regardless for Stat days since it dose fall on regular day and they get a full time rate discount . I've added two extra days that are not govern stats but many do get them off. Parents pay for those as well. If the Stat is on the weekend then they will be told which day (Monday or friday) I'll be closed in lieu of and pay for said day.
For my sick days and vacation I don't get paid. But if I don't take week off and just a day or two I just split the full time rate by 5. To make it easy for parents to know what to pay.

I also allow parents to have 1 week or number of days equal to one week of care (ie. Part timer that comes 3 days per week gets 3 vacation days). I do it to help set myself apart and cause my rates are not the lowest around here. But can't be taken till in care 3+ months and can not roll over to next year. Also do it for calendar year not from when they started.
Leigh 08:05 AM 02-11-2017
I'm paid the same every week no matter the days open or closed or the days attended by the child. IF I were to offer "free" days to the contract (and I would not), I'd still build that into a weekly payment (for example, take off 5 days' pay from my yearly tuition, then average that total for weekly rate).
e.j. 08:38 AM 02-11-2017
My holidays are paid and if they fall on the weekend, I take either Friday or Monday off. It's pretty standard around here. Sick and vacation time is unpaid for me, although some providers in this area do take both with pay.
Sumshine 11:11 PM 02-11-2017
I do things a little differently than most. I make my rates so I am able to plan ahead/afford this way and parents feel they are getting something special and a "deal" they wouldn't get elsewhere!

My holidays are 1/2 fee! You get something and I get something everyone is happy! I also do 1 week 1/2 fee vacation for families with proper notice and don't charge for my personal/vacation days!

It is unique and every parent I've interviewed so far smIles and makes note of it! It's something they really are liking and I can plan ahead and prepare for the "loss" of income even though I put my rates to where I'd be comfortable taking a small loss on holidays and take unpaid vacation days
trix23 11:49 AM 02-12-2017
I get paid holidays if they fall on weekdays and am closed. In the future I may take off a Monday or Friday. I'm just starting out and I feel I would lose customers if I did that. I may begin it in 2018.

If a parent needs me on a holiday I am off, they need to submit a request in writing and pay 1.5x the rate for that day. Deters enough of them but also makes it worth my while if someone does need care. Haven't decided if I would charge the drop-in rate for that day alone or what, but I haven't needed to come up with that info yet. ;]
Reply Up