Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Making Calls During Your Day
Josiegirl 02:24 AM 02-07-2017
How do you do it??? I'm not talking yacking with friends or family, I mean if the drs. office calls you or calling your insurance company, things like tat. The last 2 calls I've tried to receive or make, there has been a dcg that started screaming half-way through the call. These people must think I'm beating on my dcks.
No matter what I've tried to get them interested in it seems the 2 yo twins start picking on my 3 yo drama queen and then all he!! breaks loose. My 4 mo isn't the best napper so talking during quiet time might not work either but I admit I haven't tried it yet.
I have to call my insurance co. today and am already dreading it.
childcaremom 03:34 AM 02-07-2017
I make mine during rest time.
Play Care 03:56 AM 02-07-2017
If I have to take/make a call at a certain time, I usually put kids "up" with an activity at the table. I find that by getting them in one spot it cuts down on the potential for conflict/injury that arises when your attention isn't right on them. Otherwise I wait until nap time or email/text if possible.
Second Home 07:14 AM 02-07-2017
I also wait for nap time or if I am really desperate and have to make the call I will put on the tv .
Baby Beluga 07:21 AM 02-07-2017
I also do mine during nap or will try to email as much as possible.
MissAnn 07:42 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
How do you do it??? I'm not talking yacking with friends or family, I mean if the drs. office calls you or calling your insurance company, things like tat. The last 2 calls I've tried to receive or make, there has been a dcg that started screaming half-way through the call. These people must think I'm beating on my dcks.
No matter what I've tried to get them interested in it seems the 2 yo twins start picking on my 3 yo drama queen and then all he!! breaks loose. My 4 mo isn't the best napper so talking during quiet time might not work either but I admit I haven't tried it yet.
I have to call my insurance co. today and am already dreading it.
Mine are all 3-5 years old so it's a little easier. I give them that look. They know if they are not somewhat quiet they will owe me time. If they have to owe me time....I set the timer for 1 minute and they cannot make a single sound or time timer starts over. They know I mean business. I had a lot of calls last year from doctor's and insurance. Oh....and sometime I put the TV on. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.
Denali 09:22 PM 02-07-2017
I got a bluetooth ear piece. My cell is the main point of contact for many many things. It's an old and cracked iPhone and the sounds don't work right but still works (it's also my 3rd in 10 months...). With the earpiece I can actually hear it ring, chime, and what not from its place in my pocket. Where it is safe.

If I have to take a call, and kids act up, I usually just give the stink eye and they stop, and if it's needed I do a combo of sink eye, hand on hip, and point to the couch. It's never failed me.

If they behave well while I take a call I take a moment to praise each and every child for having such good manners while I was on the phone.

(this sounds like I'm on the phone a lot... but I'm not really. Maybe at the most 4-5 times a week, and most are calls from a family about pickup times for that day "hey! DCD will be there around 5! Bye!" "Hello, I'm picking up today around 3:30!")
Josiegirl 02:56 AM 02-08-2017
Thanks all! I'll have to figure this out. My overly dramatic 3 1/2 yo is positive the world revolves around her and doesn't care if she's screaming, throwing tantrums; it's all about her. But she's leaving early today so maybe I can squeeze a call in.
renodeb 09:18 PM 02-12-2017
I make those calls at nap time or whenever I can squeeze in a few minutes. Or hubby makes those calls on his day off.
Deb
Ariana 07:52 AM 02-13-2017
My hubby has to make most of my calls. I only work part time but even with my own DD it is hard. He will even call the DR to schedule an appointment for me, or cancel it. It is kind of embarassing but it is what it is.
Tags:calls, multitasking, phone - interruptions
Reply Up