Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Heavy Wetters?
daycarediva 06:48 AM 02-13-2017
New dck, only 1 day/week but going to be coming more days as soon as they are available.

18m. He is the HEAVIEST WETTER EVER. I use pampers and he literally soaks through them before 9 (arrives at 8 and is in a fresh diaper), and every 1-2 hours throughout the day if I don't change him immediately, he wets through. I tried different diapers thinking it was a fit issue- huggies and luvs, and two different sizes of each.

He drinks on the way here, which I have asked mom to not do (rarely eats breakfast/filled up on milk, wants to eat an hour later)

He refuses all water, and that's ALL I serve between meals. If they drink their 6oz of milk at meals, they get water. So you would think by the afternoon he would be dry(ish) nope. He continues to be SOAKED every time I check his diaper.

Mom says he pees through every single night, even when they change him before they go to bed. They even add poise pads to the inside of his diaper but it doesn't help much.

He has severe anemia to the point he has scooped brittle nails, paleness, very little appetite, and fatigue. (Dr treated) He is much smaller than peers his same age and is not on the growth chart. Otherwise, he is normal developmentally.
Leigh 07:16 AM 02-13-2017
I used diaper boosters with my son who had always been a heavy wetter (and he drank water all day long). Here's one brand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used Huggies OVERNIGHT diapers for him-they were more absorbent than the Pampers I used during the day (I used Cruisers). I would put an overnight diaper on him if we were leaving the house to avoid an accident. Maybe try the overnights at daycare? With a booster, if necessary? The boosters added an extra 10 oz of absorbency.
Baby Beluga 07:28 AM 02-13-2017
I second the use of huggies overnight diapers. I would even double up if needed. Pampers close to his skin and larger huggies overnight diaper over the pamper.

On a side note - I always thought being a heavy milk drinker could lead to or make anemia worse? I wonder if the pedi has addressed that with the parents since DCB is already being treated by pedi.
daycarediva 07:33 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I second the use of huggies overnight diapers. I would even double up if needed. Pampers close to his skin and larger huggies overnight diaper over the pamper.

On a side note - I always thought being a heavy milk drinker could lead to or make anemia worse? I wonder if the pedi has addressed that with the parents since DCB is already being treated by pedi.
Thank you both! I will try the huggies overnights.

That's what the pedi report says about the milk, the pedi said to limit it to 16oz/day INCLUDING daycare but Mom disagrees. It is pretty much his ONLY sources of nutrition, but mom cuts it with pediasure (dcb won't drink it straight) he barely eats anything, although he does eat a wide variety of foods and is not picky- he eats a TINY quantity. If he drank less milk, he might actually BE hungry. I addressed it with mom last week and again this week. He can have his AM milk WITH breakfast here.
Ariana 07:51 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

That's what the pedi report says about the milk, the pedi said to limit it to 16oz/day INCLUDING daycare but Mom disagrees. It is pretty much his ONLY sources of nutrition, but mom cuts it with pediasure (dcb won't drink it straight) he barely eats anything, although he does eat a wide variety of foods and is not picky- he eats a TINY quantity. If he drank less milk, he might actually BE hungry. I addressed it with mom last week and again this week. He can have his AM milk WITH breakfast here.
Can you cut it out altogether while he is with you and just tell mom you are giving it to him? Milk is really bad for anemia because it inhibits iron absorption. Vitamin C is better so even juice would be better than milk! Then he just gets his milk at home.
Solandia 08:15 AM 02-13-2017
I second/third the overnight dipes.

Now the eating/drinking part....I would encourage mom to seek out a pediatric nutritionist vs pediatrician. They see/deal with atypical eaters way more frequently than pedi. And have a wealth of knowledge, tips/tricks and can pick up on problems quicker than a 15min dr visit. Depending on the state, it might even be free through EI/birth to three...some states have lower requirements on what is consider "needed". Our "local" children's hospital( it's over an hour away), provides nutritional services for free/no referral. It is amazing.

But I wouldn't suggest juice over milk if he isn't eating much. With my failure to thrive dude, the nutritionist was saying we would be looking at toddler formulas or pediasure for nutrition and milk/juice for exposure to tastes/textures. But he had lots of other issues, too.

With the anemia as an ongoing thing, I'm surprised that a nutritionist isn't in the mix already.
Baby Beluga 08:43 AM 02-13-2017

Oh jeez

Just thinking out loud here - wonder if he wakes throughout the night and is given milk then as well. If he rarely eats at your house due to his milk consumption at home, she has to be loading him up. Just wondering what is with all the overly wet diapers.
happymom 09:40 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Can you cut it out altogether while he is with you and just tell mom you are giving it to him? Milk is really bad for anemia because it inhibits iron absorption. Vitamin C is better so even juice would be better than milk! Then he just gets his milk at home.
Absolutely do not do this. This is why there are so many trust issues with child care.
daycarediva 09:43 AM 02-13-2017
Mom calls him a 'good eater' to me (and I assume to the pediatrician). He IS good in the sense that he will eat/try anything, but to consume more than a few bites of ANYTHING? (even sweets) no.

Today we had chicken, roasted vegetables (green beans, potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots), rolls, and apples.

He drank the entire cup of milk, said no to water. Ate two tiny bites of chicken, one each of the vegetables and one BITE of an apple slice. No roll at all. All with a great amount of encouragement. He sat happily for the remainder of the meal but didn't eat. He goes down with my youngest kids first, and the second he hit the mat he was OUT almost. He is ALWAYS tired and would ALWAYS sleep if given the option. If he lays on the kid couch at ANY time he WILL fall asleep.

He gets a 9oz bottle at bedtime with milk (she knows better and said as much) he takes a binky at nap/bedtime, so hopefully no milk overnight. She wanted me to give him one at nap and I had to say no, it's against regs anyway.

On the FP, unless the pedi says specifically NO to milk, or the child refuses, I have to serve him milk. I only give them the minimum required amount, and then water is available. He always chooses milk, of course, and then it's GONE in a minute or less. He literally sucks it down and then sits for the remainder of the meal.

Pediatrician plan with the severe anemia is iron drops, he gets those twice/day. He has blood draws monthly to check on it.

He was at a licensed provider who was supposed to be providing formula for him from 6 months-15 months. She was recently shut down, and one of the parents who turned her in said she wasn't actually giving the kids formula- she was giving them whole milk, the infant's mother said her 4mo was diagnosed FTT, and then the state came in. No formula on site. So we don't know how long she was doing that for, but his anemia is improving-SLOWLY. He was in care FT.
Ariana 09:46 AM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by happymom:
Absolutely do not do this. This is why there are so many trust issues with child care.
Oh really? as a provider my job is to do what is BEST for the child, not what is best for mom. Since the Dr suggested she cut back on milk it is what I would be doing.
Baby Beluga 09:49 AM 02-13-2017
Mom calls him a 'good eater' to me (and I assume to the pediatrician). He IS good in the sense that he will eat/try anything, but to consume more than a few bites of ANYTHING? (even sweets) no.

Today we had chicken, roasted vegetables (green beans, potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots), rolls, and apples.

He drank the entire cup of milk, said no to water. Ate two tiny bites of chicken, one each of the vegetables and one BITE of an apple slice. No roll at all. All with a great amount of encouragement. He sat happily for the remainder of the meal but didn't eat. He goes down with my youngest kids first, and the second he hit the mat he was OUT almost. He is ALWAYS tired and would ALWAYS sleep if given the option. If he lays on the kid couch at ANY time he WILL fall asleep.

He gets a 9oz bottle at bedtime with milk (she knows better and said as much) he takes a binky at nap/bedtime, so hopefully no milk overnight. She wanted me to give him one at nap and I had to say no, it's against regs anyway.

On the FP, unless the pedi says specifically NO to milk, or the child refuses, I have to serve him milk. I only give them the minimum required amount, and then water is available. He always chooses milk, of course, and then it's GONE in a minute or less. He literally sucks it down and then sits for the remainder of the meal.

Pediatrician plan with the severe anemia is iron drops, he gets those twice/day. He has blood draws monthly to check on it.

He was at a licensed provider who was supposed to be providing formula for him from 6 months-15 months. She was recently shut down, and one of the parents who turned her in said she wasn't actually giving the kids formula- she was giving them whole milk, the infant's mother said her 4mo was diagnosed FTT, and then the state came in. No formula on site. So we don't know how long she was doing that for, but his anemia is improving-SLOWLY. He was in care FT.
Whoa

I wonder if pedi and mom would be on board with serving lunch first with water then a cup of milk once plates were cleared? Not sure if that is against food program regs. But perhaps if mom/pedi okay it along with written notice, it will encourage him to eat more before filling up on milk.
Ariana 09:54 AM 02-13-2017

It is unfortunate that some providers are actually doing things like this because it is so detrimental for kids long term. Iron drops plus the amount of milk he is getting is not likely to do much!
happymom 10:43 AM 02-13-2017
Oh really? as a provider my job is to do what is BEST for the child, not what is best for mom. Since the Dr suggested she cut back on milk it is what I would be doing.
That is lying though. If cutting out milk is best for the child, you tell her she needs to cut milk or that she needs to find other care. Do not lie to her. She thinks she is doing what's best for her child.
daycare 11:13 AM 02-13-2017
I got it ok wit the food program. I have 3 very heavy wetters ages 3 and up. I don't serve their drink with lunch, I serve it before. I also make sure they go to the toilet right before laying down.
daycarediva 11:14 AM 02-13-2017
happymom- the issue is Mom is well aware of milk supposed to be limited amounts (from the pediatrician) and isn't following those guidelines. He is between me and grandma right now, and Mom says she KNOWS grandma is giving him cups of milk with meals AND snacks. When I asked for a note to NOT give him milk with meals, she said that's what he always gets at home. Which is precisely the issue.

I emailed the FP to ask about what I need/what I could do as far as milk with meals.

I would be HAPPY to give pediasure, and since I have a dr note, I think I could provide that, even 50-50 milk/pediasure.

His anemia is diet related. He is on an INSANE amount of iron drops.

He has wet through 3x today, and is being changed VERY frequently, even only drinking 2 4oz cups of milk.
daycarediva 11:15 AM 02-13-2017
(I don't have to serve milk with snacks if I provide two components, so water with snacks for his days here.)
Baby Beluga 12:39 PM 02-13-2017
Another thought (since we're on the topic of over wetting) has he been tested for diabetes?

I am sure since he is under the care of a pedi he has been....but if he is excessively peeing through his diapers it might be worth asking mom about just in case he hasn't been yet.
Ariana 12:40 PM 02-13-2017
What does mom say about excessive urination? Is this somehow related to anemia? I know it is related to sickle cell anemia but I assume he does not have that.

Does he urinate frequently or just produces a lot each time...or both?

I actually have the opposite problem with kids in my care. They barely urinate at all. My DCG is with me 8 hours a day, drinks lots of water here and will not urinate at all, all day. Has always been like this. Weird! I just started two new kids who also seem to not urinate much.
daycarediva 12:57 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Another thought (since we're on the topic of over wetting) has he been tested for diabetes?

I am sure since he is under the care of a pedi he has been....but if he is excessively peeing through his diapers it might be worth asking mom about just in case he hasn't been yet.
Yes, he was.

What does mom say about excessive urination? Is this somehow related to anemia? I know it is related to sickle cell anemia but I assume he does not have that.

Does he urinate frequently or just produces a lot each time...or both?

I actually have the opposite problem with kids in my care. They barely urinate at all. My DCG is with me 8 hours a day, drinks lots of water here and will not urinate at all, all day. Has always been like this. Weird! I just started two new kids who also seem to not urinate much.
Yes! All of my other dck's are this way, too. Barely wet at each change or one big wet diaper after nap. I have to PUSH fluids so they will actually pee (most don't care for milk but drink water, which is always available)

Mom says it's unrelated to the anemia, but it was enough to 'warn' me about changing him more often (I change every 2,or at least check every 2). I really thought Mom was exaggerating.

He had water available only for snack. 1 cracker, 1 pear slice, 1 cheese square.

I don't know him well enough, and it could just be personality, but he seems less 'busy' than peers. He doesn't run, or try to climb anything, or go from activity to activity. He's content to sit with blocks and play on the carpet, the entire center time.

Have to say- he's a SWEET little guy though, he's happy, smiling, laughing, speaking some, waving, and blowing kisses ALL DAY.
happymom 01:07 PM 02-13-2017
happymom- the issue is Mom is well aware of milk supposed to be limited amounts (from the pediatrician) and isn't following those guidelines. He is between me and grandma right now, and Mom says she KNOWS grandma is giving him cups of milk with meals AND snacks. When I asked for a note to NOT give him milk with meals, she said that's what he always gets at home. Which is precisely the issue.
Awesome. My oldest was way off the charts for both height/weight at that age (15-16lbs at 18 months), but our experience was 100% different than this, so I don't have a lot of input. Seems scary though, I'm glad he's closely monitored by a doctor
Mom2Two 01:15 PM 02-13-2017
I've had a heavy wetter who had to be changed every 1.5 hours. It's a lot, but it helps to change them in stand up position imo.

On the milk...I wonder if soy milk maybe doesn't have the affect of preventing iron absorption. Maybe switch to that on a drs note. I wouldn't serve that kiddo any more milk than required by food program and I definitely wouldn't serve juice. If the kiddo is peeing that much, he should not be drinking more calories--solid food instead.
Pestle 04:43 PM 02-13-2017
I have no input on the diet (other than to agree that, for pete's sake, don't go behind the parents' backs about anything).

As far as wetting goes, I've had all my kids his age sitting on the potty chair briefly several times a day, when it's potty time for the bigger kids, and they do urinate almost every time. That could help you out--if he empties his tank a bit throughout the day.
happymom 09:52 AM 02-14-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
As far as wetting goes, I've had all my kids his age sitting on the potty chair briefly several times a day, when it's potty time for the bigger kids, and they do urinate almost every time. That could help you out--if he empties his tank a bit throughout the day.
Can you tell me more about this, please? With my own 16mo boy I help him sit on the potty when we are at home. He is mostly non-verbal but last week he picked up his potty seat to put it on the toilet, I asked him if he had to go, he shook his head yes -- I sat him down and he pooped and peed . He doesn't mind peeing in his diaper but he definitely prefers pooping in the toilet.

It seems like an impossible opportunity for him to have at daycare. So I'm just curious how it works in yours!
Pestle 10:46 AM 02-14-2017
I do Montessori-style toilet learning. Not the full-blown thing, which takes a lot of effort, but some of the approaches to toilet learning. I find it works well in a daycare setting because the kids are all learning from each other at whatever stage they're at.

First, I change the kids frequently. I'm not paying for the diapers so I don't mind the frequent changes--any time the kid is wet, a new diaper goes on, so they get accustomed to being dry and will be uncomfortable when they're wet. As soon as the kids can stand, I change them standing up in the bathroom so they associate the location with the bodily function. I get them used to hand-washing each time they wet/soil themselves and I have them take a brief, no-pressure turn on this low potty. (It's discontinued; see if you can find something this low that's this easy to sit down on.) The bigger toddlers who are walking well climb up this potty seat. They love it! It's never 100%, but the point is to get them involved in the process and reduce pushback.

A lot of parents wait until their kids are way past the sensitive period for toilet learning, because it's more convenient to keep them in diapers longer, and then try to do a potty-training crash course over just one weekend. Whatever; I'm not going to try to change how they do it, but easing kids into the process here in my day care can only make it all less painful both here and at home.
daycarediva 11:03 AM 02-14-2017
The food program said if Mom provides a note about how much milk he is served at home, and I (already have) a dr's note with a specific milk limit, I can NOT give him milk, because he has already exceeded the pediatrician's maximum amount.

So Mom is writing me a note.

Pestle- I already tried to put him on the potty. I change everyone in our (preschool size) half bathroom. Have them sit while I get a new diaper, wash hands, whatever. He F R E A K S out when the toilet is offered, unfortunately.

I provide diapers, not worried about cost, but I am concerned with the sanitation issues with leaking diapers/urine, and the medical concerns, of course.
Pestle 11:53 AM 02-14-2017
Oh, sorry, daycarediva--I was responding to happymom, not trying to boss you around! What a frustrating situation.
Ariana 02:22 PM 02-14-2017
The food program said if Mom provides a note about how much milk he is served at home, and I (already have) a dr's note with a specific milk limit, I can NOT give him milk, because he has already exceeded the pediatrician's maximum amount.

So Mom is writing me a note.
That is perfect!
hwichlaz 08:00 AM 02-22-2017
Food program here says 4 ounces is a serving of milk for a child that age.

I'd still give the required amount of milk, but I'd put it on the table as the VERY last thing I do. Kind of watch that he's had a few bites of everything first.
daycarediva 09:30 AM 02-22-2017
Well, he was here today, I have Mom's note and dr's note. Mom brought him one pediasure, she had no reservations about me trying to get him to drink something other than milk but went on and on about how he refuses it at home.

He drank half the can after breakfast and the other half after lunch. Still ate very, very little and I waited until the other kids were almost done eating before giving him any liquids.

I got huggies overnight diapers and used pads in combination. I was able to change him with the other kids (although still SOAKED, it was much more manageable)

Mom is shocked that he drank it, of course.
Reply Up