Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Drop In
Sumshine 07:01 AM 02-15-2017
So I'm potentially taking on my first drop in kiddo next Tuesday! Mom has solid DC currently but her provider is taking a few days off here or there in the near future and she wants back up. I told her I'd be happy to help until I fill up my last Prek spot!

I meet with them Friday. Mom says DCB is shy and has never been anywhere but current DC and typically mom just takes the days off work if her provider is out but wants to give me a try as she knows DH's family really well and feels she can trust my care. I'm not too worried about him being shy no one is typically fully comfortable anywhere within a days time.

I am however worried about my current littles. Every time we get a new little it seems to really be... well... you know H-E-Double Hockey Sticks! The kids show off to the new little, try to show dominance, or try to get away with anything and everthing if I'm busy helping the new kiddo adjust at all. We haven't had to deal with a new change in over a month and everyone has really found their place here. Days are pretty smooth for me with minimal frustration on my end!

So are there any tips to prepare for this drop in? Or is it just going to be an "off" day all around for everyone and something that will never change with drop in?

Should I plan to have an easier laid back day where the kiddos just play together other than prek time or should I get some activities on the docket for that day? Typically we do a lot of structured stuff together but whenever we had a new arrival in the past we would just play together and get to know eachother the first few days but now I'm wondering if that's the best way to go about things.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you
cassiesue 07:41 AM 02-15-2017
I do not change my schedule or routine at all for drop-ins and I have several. I think routine is important. I have a small group, so they like having the drop-ins.

Good luck no matter what you decide.
finsup 08:37 AM 02-15-2017
Personally, I find it easier to keep the routine for the regular kids and then just have the drop in kiddo pretty much thrown right in lol. It helps with behavior issues from my regular kids and it sets the tone for the drop in of what to expect when they're here
daycare 08:53 AM 02-15-2017
Make your current children helpers and leaders.
When I have new kids I use the older kids to help them adjust. Children are more likely to trust other children first than a big new adult they don't know.

I always say never under estimate the power of your 4-5 year olds.

I even have my 2 yr olds pass out water cups napkins and etc. they love doing it and they get really good at it.

Children live to feel accomplished so I found doing his takes off the desire for the kids to show off in a negative way.
Ariana 10:16 AM 02-15-2017
Maybe prepare the current kids and let them know what the expectations are. "We are going to have a new friend today and we are going to be nice to him, tell him our names and show him around. Remember he is probably going to feel really scared about being here so we can all work together to make him feel safe here. Does this sound like something we can all do together?"
thrivingchildcarecom 10:47 AM 02-15-2017
I haven't had a new drop in awhile, but I would say maybe a hybrid of your usual day and an easier day too. That way the new child can feel involved with activities at your care (something for the parents to feel good about) and you can also give the new child a little more attention.

Also, maybe discussing the new arrival with the existing kids might help them accept (and behave) better on the day they come. Just a thought.
Sumshine 11:01 AM 02-15-2017
Thanks for the advice everyone! It's supposed to be nice out so I'm hoping to get some good outdoor time in and I think I'll plan a light craft thay day instead of Wednesdays like I usually do! My kiddos are always in a good mood if we sit and do something together. I think I will stick to our routine but maybe allow a little more free play in the AM and after our afternoon snack.
Reply Up