Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Incompetent Coworker
Unregistered 07:58 PM 02-15-2017
I work in a daycare center. I used to work in another daycare center as the Head Teacher. I'm the assistant director where I am now. Anyway, I was promised I would be moved up to director when the old director leaves in June. Part of me being moved up is training the Head Teacher. I've been here two months at the end of this month, I've figured out she is totally incompetent. I've tried everything from letting her find her pace to literally doing her work, and her class is always a shambles. Both physically and behavior wise. I came in this morning (I leave before her) to see it was very dirty. I've been covering for her because I'm afraid I may not get promoted to director if I can't train her. At this point, I think nothing will turn around her behavior. How do I word this to the owner?
Play Care 03:19 AM 02-16-2017
Have you been documenting your findings? Have you counseled her, and documented that you've done so? There should be a paper trail detailing the issues and how you've tried to address them.
If you haven't done that, start. This way when you do meet with management, you have it in black and white.

Even something like "M's room was dirty on 2/4 (mats not put away, food left on tables, floor not swept). Reminded her verbally that she needed t do x, y, and z. Followed up in writing on 2/5."
And then what you've done to follow up:
"Spoke with M after (on 2/7) to offer suggestions on how to manage time to ensure her work was getting done."

This takes the emotion out of it, and hones your documentation skills. Hopefully they will see that you did your best (and have the paper trail to back it up) and you will get the position. Good Luck!
DaveA 04:01 AM 02-16-2017
Like Playcare said- get everything documented. Make sure you go over it with the teacher so she has a continuing reminder of what's expected of her. Don't be surprised if once you're director this becomes your first lesson in demoting/ promoting/ replacing staff.
catinthebox 04:16 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I work in a daycare center. I used to work in another daycare center as the Head Teacher. I'm the assistant director where I am now. Anyway, I was promised I would be moved up to director when the old director leaves in June. Part of me being moved up is training the Head Teacher. I've been here two months at the end of this month, I've figured out she is totally incompetent. I've tried everything from letting her find her pace to literally doing her work, and her class is always a shambles. Both physically and behavior wise. I came in this morning (I leave before her) to see it was very dirty. I've been covering for her because I'm afraid I may not get promoted to director if I can't train her. At this point, I think nothing will turn around her behavior. How do I word this to the owner?
Do you think she is playing dumb? I ask this question because from right now i have coworkers who are playing dumb and they are very lazy. Three are new coworkers and one who has been here off and on for a few years, but this lady who demands respect will literally act dumb and not clean up or do her duties. Its driving me crazy working with these people. This is my very first job and been working here for almost two years and the four staffs that i am mentioning aren't doing their jobs right. The boss knows this but does nothing.

You should always document what they did wrong and etc... Use video and pictures as well. Thats what i am doing right now because they aren't doing the job right and its getting to the point where i am just tell my boss everything that isn't done correctly and demand change or i will leave . I feel like a mom out there with these coworkers even tho i am a male. I been telling them over and over about things like safety and supervision because they are clearly lacking in this area heavy! Which makes my job ten times harder because i am trying to solve the kids problem and it seems like i am the only staff outside with an aura while the other staff just watch... I always tell the kids to use the other staff, but never have i ever heard or seen them take action when i am being bombard with the kids problem. At the same time i am doing this, i am also acting like a cop, enforcing the rules that the other staff aren't doing! I am very afraid that something bad is gonna happen and the result of this will be me going down with them. We already had two incidents in the last two months. One of the kids ran into the pole and cracked his head open and other while the incident involves our kids talking to a random person in his car. Who according to the kids took a picture of them, the crazies thing was that one staff was near them and heard nothing and while another staff was on the other side of the basketball court facing the kids and the car on the street and said that she didn't see nothing!. .

The saddest thing was that my boss didn't even get mad or yell at us. All she said was " we have to keep an eye on them" thats all! Like really! You dam well know some of the people you hired aren't doing their job right. Its funny because almost of all our good coworkers all left and said the same thing as me of why we wanted to leave. Well if nothing changes she is about to lose me, which according to her i am an important assets because i am a male teacher and that i have good leadership skills that is needed here.

Lesson taken. Don't be afraid to bark and use your words, people will use you if you don't. Hope everything goes well
racemom 07:56 AM 02-16-2017
Do you have a written cleaning schedule. If not, make one and have them initial it when it is done. If it is not done correctly, show her how you expect it to be done.

Next thing I would do is take over her class for a day, tell her you are going to show her how you expect it to be and she MUST follow the rules you put in place. The next day sit in on the class, and make sure she does as expected. If possible spend part of each day after that in her room making sure she is following your plan. If not remind her, document it, and have her sign it. That way maybe she will realize you are serious about it. Every morning check her room right away, if something is wrong document, when she gets there have her fix it, sign the paper, and maybe she will start doing things right.
284878 05:40 PM 02-16-2017
Take lots of photos.
Febby 05:49 PM 02-16-2017
Yes, document everything. If you've documented that you've repeatedly explained procedures and she's still not following them, then you shouldn't be blamed for her failures. Back it up with video footage if your center has cameras and if the issue warrants it.

My center uses cleaning and paperwork checklists to help us make sure we're cleaning properly and completing/posting/filing all necessary paperwork. We have two cleaning lists, one for nap and one for the end of the day. We also have a cleaning handbook that describes how to complete each of the cleaning items. For example, it reminds staff to be sure to sweep under the tables and chairs when sweeping. The paperwork checklist is to remind us to complete and send home daily sheets, post weekly lesson plans, send home newsletters, complete assessments, etc.

As far as her behavior management issues, could you send her to some training classes and see if that helps? Or else start shadowing her and stepping in whenever she needs help while explaining why we do X when the child does Y?
Unregistered 07:57 PM 02-16-2017
Thanks for all the advice. I have been documenting her. I will start taking pictures. It's just really common sense stuff she doesn't do. Like for example, she allows the children to write on the walls (due to poor management) and refuses to clean it. Also, she doesn't make the children wash their hands after playing in things like playdough. She has an aide. She's hearing this from two people (the aide and I). Also, she's seeing correct behavior from the aide. Things really go to pot when the aide is out of the room (even for her lunch). Children will be climbing on furniture if I walk in and the aide is out of the room. The Head Teacher doesn't care.
racemom 08:42 AM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for all the advice. I have been documenting her. I will start taking pictures. It's just really common sense stuff she doesn't do. Like for example, she allows the children to write on the walls (due to poor management) and refuses to clean it. Also, she doesn't make the children wash their hands after playing in things like playdough. She has an aide. She's hearing this from two people (the aide and I). Also, she's seeing correct behavior from the aide. Things really go to pot when the aide is out of the room (even for her lunch). Children will be climbing on furniture if I walk in and the aide is out of the room. The Head Teacher doesn't care.
Tell the director this! Show her your documentation and what you have done to try and change things. Sounds to me like she doesn't want to change her behavior, so it is time for her to change jobs. If someone is unwilling to try, you cannot help them. Maybe she wants to get fired, and that is why she unwilling to change.
Unregistered 06:30 PM 02-17-2017
Maybe she doesn't care because she thinks she should have had the director job and not you. Sounds like she was at this location before you were.
CeriBear 03:46 AM 02-20-2017
Not having the children wash their hands and allowing them to write on the walls is inexcusable. From the things you've posted it sounds like this teacher just doesn't care. Racemom is right. If someone isn't willing to try to fix things you can't help them.
Hunni Bee 05:51 AM 02-20-2017
Some of those are a little more than laziness/oversight.

Not enforcing handwashing, allowing the children to climb on furniture, poor supervision, etc are health and safety violations.

If licensing showed up, you guys would be cited.
Tags:bad workers, co-workers, employee issues, issues with co-workers, staff issues
Reply Up