Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
LysesKids 11:41 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
On the second day back from Christmas break my families gave to me cranky, sleepy children and a bottle refusing baby.
I got the bottle refusing kid too but in my case it was a blessing as it's time for him to wean off anyway (he's BF at home); he likes sippy cups for water and miniature glasses to drink his Moms milk now and he is just turning 12 months old next week
Indoorvoice 12:05 PM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have FOUR three year olds enrolled right now, 3 are FT. I hear you.

I love how dcp's think they have a say in how I run my day/what I do/what I buy/activities/etc.

I have TWO parents that are constantly tagging me in things to do with their child on my business FB page. One is a grandma who does Sunday school (with SA kids) and the other worked a summer in a college daycare program. They know EVERYTHING. Plus, what they tag me in are craptivities. 100% teacher led, teacher put together crafts. I run a child-led, play based, emergent program. No I don't think a 3 yo is going to say "Miss. X Can we do a handprint alphabet book today?" The funniest part is the grandma tagging me in religious things, eg at Christmas I got the handprint angel craft with a prayer. Um, noooo.
I had a parent that would email crafts daily. I would respond back: "how cute! Dcg will love to do this with you!"
Heart12 11:39 AM 01-05-2017
Naive Me: Ohhhhh 2 infants that are the same age! It's so awesome that they would grow up in my daycare

4 months later me: I will NEVERRRRRRRRR take another infant. EVER! Things arent looking too good for crazy, paranoid, first time moms either
Miss A 11:59 AM 01-05-2017
Originally Posted by Heart12:
Naive Me: Ohhhhh 2 infants that are the same age! It's so awesome that they would grow up in my daycare

4 months later me: I will NEVERRRRRRRRR take another infant. EVER! Things arent looking too good for crazy, paranoid, first time moms either
Call me crazy, but I LOVE infant care! My current group is 20m, 12m, 10m, 3m (my DS), and 6w. I love that they are all within months of one another, and that the older 3 all play so well together. It is fun because the 20m has encouraged the 12 and 10m to crawl and walk early, and she is always showing them something new. It is so awesome to watch them watch her and try to immitate her!
LysesKids 02:04 PM 01-05-2017
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Call me crazy, but I LOVE infant care! My current group is 20m, 12m, 10m, 3m (my DS), and 6w. I love that they are all within months of one another, and that the older 3 all play so well together. It is fun because the 20m has encouraged the 12 and 10m to crawl and walk early, and she is always showing them something new. It is so awesome to watch them watch her and try to immitate her!
You aren't crazy - I do infants only lol. Mine are currently 17 months, 12 months, 3 months and 4 weeks (she starts in a few weeks so will be 6 weeks), then end of February the oldest ages out and another 6 week old will be joining us first week of March
Josiegirl 02:43 AM 01-06-2017
You guys who only do infants, you have my utmost respect. Although the 1 baby I have right now is my easiest child by far, I cannot imagine having 4 or 5 of them. My state only allows 3 under 2 with no others. I've thought about switching but 3 dcks wouldn't pay the bills.
Miss A 09:52 AM 01-06-2017
My step-grandma invited herself over for dinner tonight. She asked to take us out to dinner in November, and between Thanksgiving (3) and Christmas (4) celebrations, as well as DF working late 3 nights a week, we haven't had time to meet.

I feel horrible, but I am dreading it. My Grandad passed away a year ago next month, and we were not close. He abused my mother as a infant, breaking multiple bones, and because of the abuse I only met him a handful of times. His wife now lives near us, and while I totally understand that the holidays are hard on her, we barely know her, and don't have much to talk about.

Plus, we have another family Christmas tomorrow I have to make food for, I have end of the week daycare cleaning and laundry to do, I am exhausted!

Why am I such a horrible person?!?
Unregistered 12:16 PM 01-06-2017
Why does the director accept children she knows have developmental delays when we are not equipped to handle special needs? This one child practically needs a constant assistant. He is three, mostly talks in single words and those are not clear at all. He can barely sit still, during free play constantly takes toys from others or chases them (I assume to try to interact), puts things in his mouth, and generally is high maintenance and needs a lot of help. With guidance he will play nicely but we don't have a staff member we can dedicate to assisting him all day. I understand not wanting to turn someone away but isn't it just enabling his family to remain in denial? How much are we allowed to say to his parents in regard to his delays?
MsLisa 03:24 PM 01-07-2017
I feel so silly just complaining this but....
As much as I love this easygoing family, only watching their baby is soooo boring to me. But it's the easiest money ever.
He's just started to crawl so for an hour he tries to get into everything he shouldn't (with the balance of a drunk person). No attention span to do anything with, so nothing I could bring amuses him. AND by the time I get there he's on bedtime tired meltdown hour so I get to do "overtired crying fit" bedtime too. Then I sit in the dark with the tv playing the same show on repeat for 2hrs because the baby sleeps in a bouncer in the living room. So easy, yet so boring. I miss my school age kids....
Silly Songs 07:47 PM 01-07-2017
Are the parents aware that infants should be in cribs, not car seats or bouncers ? Maybe you could update them. Safe sleep practices reduce SIDS.
Claraskids 02:28 PM 01-08-2017
I thought I had developed my backbone. I have learned to enforce my policies, I have learned to never give an immediate answer to parents requests, I can pick up red flags during interviews, and infants' cryings doesn't drive me batty. But no one told me to not get attached to the kids!!
I redid my parent handbook/contract for the first time ever and none of the changes were major. Mostly spelling out better some minor rules that were getting broken by bad apples (no items from home, no dousing with essential oils) and trying to get ahead of some situations that may arise in the future (snow days, no electricity, etc.). I gave all families the handbook over the holidays to look over and they were suppose to sign and return by last Friday.
Just got an email that one family won't be back because of the changes - didn't say which ones but I can guess. What is driving me nuts is that I even wrote up an addendum to their contract just for them that gave them an extra five minutes on the closing time because they have the longest commute. They are also the only family getting a sibling discount, the only one that I never charged any extra fees on, and the only one I ever made any exceptions to! Why? Because I adored their kids, especially the youngest. Tends to happen when you've had her since she was six weeks old and she is as easy as pie. They've been here for nearly 18 months and I just let myself get too attached. From now on, I don't care what a parent requests. Go to the handbook. Want me to open 10 minutes early - no. Want a discount because you're a school teacher who has a three day week - no! I'm sorry that this one family ruined it for everyone else, but my heart has been stomped on. I am truly a business owner now, not your friend!
Thanks for letting me vent.
Annalee 05:02 PM 01-08-2017
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
I thought I had developed my backbone. I have learned to enforce my policies, I have learned to never give an immediate answer to parents requests, I can pick up red flags during interviews, and infants' cryings doesn't drive me batty. But no one told me to not get attached to the kids!!
I redid my parent handbook/contract for the first time ever and none of the changes were major. Mostly spelling out better some minor rules that were getting broken by bad apples (no items from home, no dousing with essential oils) and trying to get ahead of some situations that may arise in the future (snow days, no electricity, etc.). I gave all families the handbook over the holidays to look over and they were suppose to sign and return by last Friday.
Just got an email that one family won't be back because of the changes - didn't say which ones but I can guess. What is driving me nuts is that I even wrote up an addendum to their contract just for them that gave them an extra five minutes on the closing time because they have the longest commute. They are also the only family getting a sibling discount, the only one that I never charged any extra fees on, and the only one I ever made any exceptions to! Why? Because I adored their kids, especially the youngest. Tends to happen when you've had her since she was six weeks old and she is as easy as pie. They've been here for nearly 18 months and I just let myself get too attached. From now on, I don't care what a parent requests. Go to the handbook. Want me to open 10 minutes early - no. Want a discount because you're a school teacher who has a three day week - no! I'm sorry that this one family ruined it for everyone else, but my heart has been stomped on. I am truly a business owner now, not your friend!
It seems the ones we do the MOST for end up hurting us the worstYES, THIS IS A BUSINESS! NO FRIENDS ALLOWED
MsLisa 06:53 AM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Are the parents aware that infants should be in cribs, not car seats or bouncers ? Maybe you could update them. Safe sleep practices reduce SIDS.
Oh I know and you would think they would having 5 kids total. Apparently he has acid reflux and the swing helps.

Being they are only a Date Night family, I don't care to say anything. If they were a more steady part of my work I would have no problem correcting everything. Also the crib in crammed into a tiny closet room, surrounded by random boxes and clothes....so don't even get me started. I get my money, I hold down the fort, and I go home.
Heart12 07:01 AM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
My "fave" family has been taking full advantage of me lately. They got an attitude with me when I finally enforced one of my rules. Lesson learned! Like you, I am trying my best to stay a business owner & NOT their friend! The lines can so easily get blurred & us providers always get the short end!
Play Care 10:16 AM 01-09-2017
Not dc related, but I got the message this morning to put

as my status for breast cancer awareness.

I HATE these types of posts. How is "vaguebooking" something raising awareness? And I'm pretty sure we are all aware of breast cancer at this point.

You know what any cancer needs?

FUNDING.
daycarediva 11:12 AM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I HATE these types of posts. How is "vaguebooking" something raising awareness? And I'm pretty sure we are all aware of breast cancer at this point.

FUNDING.

I had a dcf wear blue on autism awareness day and came in all proud to show me their blue. I wasn't wearing blue and they said "Oh we wore blue for your ds! You know what today is?" I was honestly a little offended (and I don't get offended easily at all) I said "You know what's better than awareness? making a donation to fund research."

I loved how the ALS ice bucket challenge made an ACTUAL difference.
Play Care 11:21 AM 01-09-2017

I had a dcf wear blue on autism awareness day and came in all proud to show me their blue. I wasn't wearing blue and they said "Oh we wore blue for your ds! You know what today is?" I was honestly a little offended (and I don't get offended easily at all) I said "You know what's better than awareness? making a donation to fund research."

I loved how the ALS ice bucket challenge made an ACTUAL difference.
I like when schools or businesses have kids pay a $1 or whatever to wear jeans or hats, etc with the $ raised going to the cause. Because otherwise, wearing blue on any given day is just wearing blue.
MyAngels 09:18 PM 01-09-2017

FUNDING.
This stuff is so frustrating. I got the same thing, and the person who sent it to me had the nerve to be offended when I didn't comply because, after all, they knew I had breast cancer and this should be close to my heart. My response was "Thank you for your concern, but awareness only goes so far. What is truly close to my heart is finding a cure for all cancers, not just breast cancer. In honor of that I just wrote my yearly check to the Illinois Cancer Care Foundation. Perhaps you will consider doing the same." I was promptly unfriended
Josiegirl 02:49 AM 01-10-2017
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
This stuff is so frustrating. I got the same thing, and the person who sent it to me had the nerve to be offended when I didn't comply because, after all, they knew I had breast cancer and this should be close to my heart. My response was "Thank you for your concern, but awareness only goes so far. What is truly close to my heart is finding a cure for all cancers, not just breast cancer. In honor of that I just wrote my yearly check to the Illinois Cancer Care Foundation. Perhaps you will consider doing the same." I was promptly unfriended
Unfriended?? Geez. Methinks you hit a nerve. It's so easy to click forward or wear blue but anything else requires a little bit deeper. You said it so nicely in your response too.
Play Care 02:55 AM 01-10-2017
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Wow. I'd said I'm sorry, but I think you're better off.
daycarediva 05:19 AM 01-10-2017
I like when schools or businesses have kids pay a $1 or whatever to wear jeans or hats, etc with the $ raised going to the cause. Because otherwise, wearing blue on any given day is just wearing blue.
exactly!

A local teen just died of cancer. The city keeps doing awareness. There is no fundraising for research. Um... that helps?
MyAngels 06:51 AM 01-10-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Unfriended?? Geez. Methinks you hit a nerve. It's so easy to click forward or wear blue but anything else requires a little bit deeper. You said it so nicely in your response too.
I'm definitely better off and I certainly won't miss the constant stream of crazy political and social memes either
Unregistered 11:42 PM 01-10-2017
No, dcm, you aren't raising a compassionate boy by being sensitive to his feelings, never telling him no. You are coddling him and teaching him that his feelings are more important than everyone else's.
Jupadia 02:43 PM 01-11-2017
So thanks to all the frezzing and melting we been having here its made my fence start to lean a bit and now my gate won't close. Now there is no fixing it till spring when we can fix the fence (thankfully it's only a small part of the fence itself) which means the new way to close my gate is putting a stack of lawn chairs in front of it do it can't open. My husband may have another way of fixing it till spring. But considering it's dark before he gets home snd light after he leaves means that it won't be till the weekend that he csn take a look. Can I just say this hives me yet another reason to hate winter snd cold.
Miss A 05:58 AM 01-17-2017
It's that time of year...Stomach Flu season 😷

I sent 2 DCK home with it last Wednesday, on Friday one DCM text saying their DD had caught it, Friday Afternoon I sent DCB home with a high fever, Sunday I came down with the stomach flu and had to close yesterday, and DF was struck in the middle of the night. I am so scared my 3 month old DS will get it too.

Almost a week of cleaning, sanitizing, lysoling and bleaching, and it still made it through every child and both myself and DF. Ugh.

Spring, where are you?!?
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:04 AM 01-17-2017
My vent of the day: Square Milk Jugs!!!

that is all.

LysesKids 09:23 AM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
My vent of the day: Square Milk Jugs!!!

that is all.
What's scary is the sell by date lol... I can deal with the square; I know in some areas of Canada they sell milk in bags - now that would irate the hell outta me unless I had a milk pitcher
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:31 AM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
What's scary is the sell by date lol... I can deal with the square; I know in some areas of Canada they sell milk in bags - now that would irate the hell outta me unless I had a milk pitcher
... not a picture of my actual jug, it came from google.

When I was in elementary school we had the milk in bags at lunch. They gave a bunch of 10 and under kids plastic bags full of milk and a pointed straw to poke it with. I'm sure the janitor was thrilled.
daycarediva 10:03 AM 01-17-2017
Oh I wish we had square jugs! I can't keep more than 6 gallons in my fridge because of their odd shape. Square might work better!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 11:47 AM 01-17-2017
Oh I wish we had square jugs! I can't keep more than 6 gallons in my fridge because of their odd shape. Square might work better!
There are actual youtube videos dedicated to how to rig them so they pour with spilling, sloshing, or dribbling. Sometimes I feel like I spill more than the kids drink, they are awful.
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
There are actual youtube videos dedicated to how to rig them so they pour with spilling, sloshing, or dribbling. Sometimes I feel like I spill more than the kids drink, they are awful.
I'd just transfer it to an easier to use container.

I pour the milk into a child's sized pitcher at every snack and meal.

The kids pour their own here.
Mike 04:43 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I know in some areas of Canada they sell milk in bags - now that would irate the hell outta me unless I had a milk pitcher
If you mean the bags that have smaller ones in it that go in a pitcher, like attached, that's how I've bought milk for many years, in Ontario and in Alberta. We can also buy it in jugs, but the bagged milk has been the norm for decades.
Attached: milk.jpg (28.6 KB) 
Jupadia 04:49 PM 01-17-2017
We had bags when u was little growing up in Alberta then somewhere in childhood I remember it switched to jugs. When my brother was little we had to pour it in a small jug so he could get his own cereal as 4 liters was to heavy for him. Then I moved out to Ontario and have flashed back my past and hzve bags. Though one gas stain sells jugs
Ariana 05:46 PM 01-17-2017
The bags are perfect for storing in the fridge but a total PITA for pouring!
Miss A 12:08 PM 01-18-2017
Oh daycare God's, please make my DF well enough to go back to work tomorrow!

He is the epitome of "man sick", and he is like my 6th DCK. He will tell you he is the biggest baby when he is sick, and all I have heard for 2 days is "I'm sorry I'm so worthless...Oh, this is going to kill me...You are a better person than I am, you were sick like this while pregnant and you worked through it"

I can handle that, but what I can't handle is his comments on how I run daycare. He has said he isn't cut out for daycare, and I definitely am not cut out to have him home during daycare!

So far he has told me he hopes I "get after" (I.e. get down on the 20 MO level, meet their eyes, and give them clear, concise expectations of how to behave) my own DS as much as I do the DCK.

He has said I am not as "mean" (I.e. firm? Not sure where he was going with this) to my own DS as I am the DCK, because he doesn't have to cry as long as the other kids when he has needs to be met. Well dear, DS is 4 months. He and the 2 month olds needs come before the 3 mobile "big" kids. Unless they are seriously injured or are at risk of injury, they are able to self soothe a little more than the 2 babies, especially because they don't need bottles like the babies.

Ugh. I just needed to let that out to people who do this day in and day out like I do.
Baby Beluga 02:45 PM 01-20-2017
Oh daycare God's, please make my DF well enough to go back to work tomorrow!

He is the epitome of "man sick", and he is like my 6th DCK. He will tell you he is the biggest baby when he is sick, and all I have heard for 2 days is "I'm sorry I'm so worthless...Oh, this is going to kill me...You are a better person than I am, you were sick like this while pregnant and you worked through it"

I can handle that, but what I can't handle is his comments on how I run daycare. He has said he isn't cut out for daycare, and I definitely am not cut out to have him home during daycare!

So far he has told me he hopes I "get after" (I.e. get down on the 20 MO level, meet their eyes, and give them clear, concise expectations of how to behave) my own DS as much as I do the DCK.

He has said I am not as "mean" (I.e. firm? Not sure where he was going with this) to my own DS as I am the DCK, because he doesn't have to cry as long as the other kids when he has needs to be met. Well dear, DS is 4 months. He and the 2 month olds needs come before the 3 mobile "big" kids. Unless they are seriously injured or are at risk of injury, they are able to self soothe a little more than the 2 babies, especially because they don't need bottles like the babies.

Ugh. I just needed to let that out to people who do this day in and day out like I do.

DH works from home. It was (and still can be) very complicated.
Unregistered 03:08 PM 01-20-2017
I am open til 5:30pm. DCB1 always gets picked up at 530 and DCB2 has been getting picked up after 5 lately. DCB1 got picked up early today at 415. DCB2 mom got off early today too but decided to go home and clean so she said she wouldnt be picking him up any earlier today. Gah! I could have been off so early today!
Kimskiddos 02:53 PM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am open til 5:30pm. DCB1 always gets picked up at 530 and DCB2 has been getting picked up after 5 lately. DCB1 got picked up early today at 415. DCB2 mom got off early today too but decided to go home and clean so she said she wouldnt be picking him up any earlier today. Gah! I could have been off so early today!
That is Murphy's Law of day care. Your late kiddo goes home early, your early kid will stay late!!
hwichlaz 05:50 PM 01-24-2017
Tuesday is therapy day for my two special needs infants. Between the two of them, they have 4 therapists, and they share two of them, so they have 6 therapy sessions. The food program rep chose TODAY to inspect a meal. :P
Unregistered 12:26 AM 01-25-2017
Nobody could use their words today with me. They just did things like stare at me and then shake their foot instead of asking me to tie their shoe. Waving a cup at me instead of asking for more water. I teach 4 year olds, they can talk, and I am not a stranger! Lol. I already contend with a few who talk so softly I can't hear them, and one who talks babyish but not on purpose. Today's riddle was "*high-pitched fast jumbled sounds* sweep" (sleep)
Hunni Bee 05:25 AM 01-25-2017
We have nothing on our schools playground. NOTHING. No balls, the sandbox is empty, nothing but a boring play structure. The school will not replace anything because they say the teachers don't do enough to keep them from being broken or lost.

Not sure why adults are failing to understand that sand toys from Dollar Tree and $1 balls from Walmart aren't going to last more than a couple weeks at best with 100+ kids using them multiple times daily.

Not sure why adults are failing to understand that not replacing school equipment doesn't actually punish the teachers, but it does punish the kids. They have nothing to do, and just resort to aggressive power play.

BUT, we somehow do find the time to publicly and visibly raise money for different random causes. They sent around an order form for us to donate a good chunk of money directly from our paychecks and I so want to ask when we can we start doing one to raise money for our playground.
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We have nothing on our schools playground. NOTHING. No balls, the sandbox is empty, nothing but a boring play structure. The school will not replace anything because they say the teachers don't do enough to keep them from being broken or lost.

Not sure why adults are failing to understand that sand toys from Dollar Tree and $1 balls from Walmart aren't going to last more than a couple weeks at best with 100+ kids using them multiple times daily.

Not sure why adults are failing to understand that not replacing school equipment doesn't actually punish the teachers, but it does punish the kids. They have nothing to do, and just resort to aggressive power play.

BUT, we somehow do find the time to publicly and visibly raise money for different random causes. They sent around an order form for us to donate a good chunk of money directly from our paychecks and I so want to ask when we can we start doing one to raise money for our playground.
Does your state have licensing requirements for centers in regards to having X amount of outdoor equipment?

We have to have specific toys/equipment to meet specific needs so having only a play structure would not be acceptable. Is this something you (your center) can get cited for?
Hunni Bee 10:15 AM 01-25-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Does your state have licensing requirements for centers in regards to having X amount of outdoor equipment?

We have to have specific toys/equipment to meet specific needs so having only a play structure would not be acceptable. Is this something you (your center) can get cited for?
We thought so. We actually HOPE to get cited so they would be forced to fix things but it hasn't happened.

Like I know that we have to have at nine inches of loose ground cover under fall zones. I KNOW there's not more than 2-3 inches at any point on the playground and I've seen the licensing lady out there with her ruler. I have no idea why we weren't cited. I know they gave us this malarkey line of it just needing to redistributed from other parts of the playground but honestly iim sure you could rake that playground bare and still not come up with 9 inches.

The sandbox is literally a empty pit. All of the concrete lips of walkways are exposed. I have no idea how we get by like this. We do have a really good reputation nnd up til this year we've actually been worth all the money we charge, so maybe that's it.
Play Care 07:05 AM 01-30-2017
My newly potty trained dcb probably flushed a toy down the toilet last week. We tried snaking it ourselves but couldn't get to it. Have a plumber coming this morning. Good Times.
Today the child proof knob will be placed on the door and he will need to ask every time he has to go.
Play Care 09:25 AM 01-30-2017
Annnnnnnd we need a new toilet.

DH is furious. I am annoyed with myself because last week when I realized dcb had gotten to the "play" stage of potty training and I thought about putting the child proof knobs on the door I talked myself out of it.
Rockgirl 12:34 PM 01-31-2017
Just ONCE, I'd like dc baby to wake up happy. She's been here since she was 2 months old--she's almost 13 months. She wakes up every day angry-crying. Loudly.

On the plus side, she is napping for a decent amount of time now, instead of 30-40 minutes.

Guess we can't have it all, right?
Unregistered 07:09 PM 01-31-2017
So over dcb4 singing (from the movie Sing) "come my lady, come come my lady, you're my butterfly, sugar baby" in imitation of the gorilla character. It's weird!
Unregistered 07:37 AM 02-01-2017
Grandma of a 8 month old dck drops him off daily and just hangs around telling me how to do things like I have never taken care of a baby before. I have two kids of my own and have been caring for infants and children for over 10 years. She made me feel very uncomfortable and made me feel like I wasn't doing anything right. She is pulling her grandson from my care to watch him to save money so good riddons. Plus the dck cried all day long so it just isn't meant to be.
Indoorvoice 01:40 PM 02-01-2017
I always put my dog in the garage right off our entrance when I see my dcps pull up. She has a super annoying high pitched bark that kills my ears. I don't see how they can stand in my entrance for 10 minute trying to engage me without freaking out! I keep saying bye and the dog keeps barking, but still they stay as long as possible every day! Unbelievable. It is truly deafening. I'm ready to just leave my dog out to jump on them and lick them. Maybe they'll leave faster since they are unaffected by the barking.
Mike 03:10 PM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I always put my dog in the garage right off our entrance when I see my dcps pull up. She has a super annoying high pitched bark that kills my ears. I don't see how they can stand in my entrance for 10 minute trying to engage me without freaking out! I keep saying bye and the dog keeps barking, but still they stay as long as possible every day! Unbelievable. It is truly deafening. I'm ready to just leave my dog out to jump on them and lick them. Maybe they'll leave faster since they are unaffected by the barking.

Go for it, but be forewarned, some people like dogs and just might end up staying even longer to play with their new friend.
Heart12 05:29 AM 02-03-2017
Why do parents tell lies like:

"DCB wont be coming on Friday." or "I'll be picking DCB up early today."

WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!?

We both know that you're always going to bring DCB & you will never actually pick up early so why even say it?! UGH. Obviously Im frustrated.
Mike 06:52 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Heart12:
Why do parents tell lies like:

"DCB wont be coming on Friday." or "I'll be picking DCB up early today."

WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!?

We both know that you're always going to bring DCB & you will never actually pick up early so why even say it?! UGH. Obviously Im frustrated.
Low self-esteem
In my 20's I was good at that. Saying things I know others would like to hear, and actually planning to do them, but never able to. I didn't think much of myself and was trying to be positive or helpful to others to combat my feelings of my own self worth.
Josiegirl 09:52 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Low self-esteem
In my 20's I was good at that. Saying things I know others would like to hear, and actually planning to do them, but never able to. I didn't think much of myself and was trying to be positive or helpful to others to combat my feelings of my own self worth.
Oh wow, that never entered my mind as a reason. I had someone do that to me A LOT and I always used to get so frustrated and hurt. Enlightening, thank you.
Baby Beluga 02:02 PM 02-03-2017
DCB - for the love of everything holy STOP STARING AT ME. Every single meal time he just stares. Won't engage with friends. Won't talk with friends. Won't look at his plate when scooping food. He just stares at me. No matter what I am doing.

Drives me bonkers.
Mom2Two 02:56 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We thought so. We actually HOPE to get cited so they would be forced to fix things but it hasn't happened.

Like I know that we have to have at nine inches of loose ground cover under fall zones. I KNOW there's not more than 2-3 inches at any point on the playground and I've seen the licensing lady out there with her ruler. I have no idea why we weren't cited. I know they gave us this malarkey line of it just needing to redistributed from other parts of the playground but honestly iim sure you could rake that playground bare and still not come up with 9 inches.

The sandbox is literally a empty pit. All of the concrete lips of walkways are exposed. I have no idea how we get by like this. We do have a really good reputation nnd up til this year we've actually been worth all the money we charge, so maybe that's it.
Sometimes the things I read about centers on here scare me. Can't they just give a cash incentive for non-broken toys? Like, if nothing significant is broken each month get a gift card somewhere?
Mom2Two 03:09 PM 02-03-2017
Dcd changed cell phone numbers but didn't tell me! Dcm is sometimes unavailable at work and today dcb was brought, not fully better from a cold, and he ended up with major coughing fits. It was almost two hours til I could get him picked up.
Leigh 08:27 AM 02-07-2017
I have a 3 yo who has an illness (Hirschprung's) that causes her to have ZERO control over her colon. She has CONSTANT anal leakage. Some days, it's not an issue. Today, I want to throw up. She just STINKS so much that I can't tolerate being within 5 feet of her, and of course, she's so sweet and cuddly that she wants to be with me all day. I'm thinking of putting one of those little tree air fresheners around her neck!
Pepperth 02:15 PM 02-07-2017
I've sent children home with fevers now for the 3rd day in a row. Its been the same every single day. Children are fine in the morning, playing and doing normal activities. Then at 4:30, so just before pick up, child starts to look flush, and sits on couch because they are tired. I take temperature and call for pickup and then disinfect everything can think of after daycare. Its only a matter of time until my kids get it.
debbiedoeszip 07:24 PM 02-10-2017
My vent is about crafts. My oldest dckid is 27 months old. Dcp asked if I keep their crafts because she was hoping to have some cute crafts to take home. Child has just turned 2 yo and is capable of smearing some paint on paper when not engaged in eating said paint. I tried tactfully to explain that "cute" crafts might not be coming home for a year or more. I'm not paid enough to spend my evenings constructing cute crafts for the parents to take home and attempt to pass off as their child's work on FB.
Josiegirl 11:58 AM 02-11-2017
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
My vent is about crafts. My oldest dckid is 27 months old. Dcp asked if I keep their crafts because she was hoping to have some cute crafts to take home. Child has just turned 2 yo and is capable of smearing some paint on paper when not engaged in eating said paint. I tried tactfully to explain that "cute" crafts might not be coming home for a year or more. I'm not paid enough to spend my evenings constructing cute crafts for the parents to take home and attempt to pass off as their child's work on FB.
LOL I was trying to figure out something my 5 mo could make for V Day. I have tried and tried to do hand print crafts with babies and fail miserably. As soon as they feel the paint being slathered on, they always curl their little hands up and that's all I get on paper is painted blobs. Thought I had an adorable Christmas idea, they all made hand prints and trees out of clay. Since I couldn't use her hand I got the best foot print that I could manage; painted it up to look like a really cute snowman ornament, I was so proud and thought certainly dcm would mention it(always nice to be noticed for our efforts ). Not one word. So not sure if I'm going to try for V Day or not.
Blackcat31 02:32 PM 02-13-2017
Just had 4 totally awesome days off....just to come back to work and have the mother of all Monday's....

DCK's that are so beyond whiney, it's hard to even recognize them as kids I know...

Parents that all seem to have forgotten how to read or follow directions and then are confused when called out on it....

A dentist that must be huffing the laughing gas in-between patients....

and then to top it all off, DH is leaving Home Depot and some dumb@$$ that apparently can't drive and talk at the same time t-bones him and totally takes out the entire driver's side of DH's truck.

Tomorrow had better be a better day..................
Josiegirl 03:02 PM 02-13-2017
BC May the rest of the month be a hundred times better!! Hubby ok?
Blackcat31 03:56 PM 02-13-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
BC May the rest of the month be a hundred times better!! Hubby ok?
Yes, he is ok... thank you! ...
He's just PO'ed... lol!
Its sad and frightening how little attention people pay when in vehicles. We have full coverage and all but its just the PITA the whole experience/situation requires.

Hubs is on year 25 without a ticket, warning or any kind of driving offense whatsoever so I know its possible but I swear peple leave their brains outside their vehicles when getting in now days...
Mike 06:38 PM 02-13-2017
Yes, he is ok... thank you! ...
He's just PO'ed... lol!
Its sad and frightening how little attention people pay when in vehicles. We have full coverage and all but its just the PITA the whole experience/situation requires.

Hubs is on year 25 without a ticket, warning or any kind of driving offense whatsoever so I know its possible but I swear peple leave their brains outside their vehicles when getting in now days...
I'm glad he's ok. There are a lot of drivers on the road now who shouldn't be.
daycarediva 11:36 AM 02-14-2017
BC dh got into an accident yesterday. The roads were nasty and some A-hole in a big truck pulled in front of him when he had a stop sign. Dh avoided hitting the truck, but did a 360 and slid right into a guardrail. The guy hit the telephone pole. We have minor paint scrapes, and dh walked away. The other guy had an arm injury (probably broken)
Play Care 03:12 AM 02-15-2017
BC dh got into an accident yesterday. The roads were nasty and some A-hole in a big truck pulled in front of him when he had a stop sign. Dh avoided hitting the truck, but did a 360 and slid right into a guardrail. The guy hit the telephone pole. We have minor paint scrapes, and dh walked away. The other guy had an arm injury (probably broken)
I went to the movies on Sunday with a couple of friends (mid-snow storm ) and although we were in a 4 wheel drive vehicle, we were shocked at the number of people who pulled right out in front of us. I swear it happened at least three times during the 35 minute drive. And ironically it was usually the tiny cars with no 4 wheel/AWD.
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 02-15-2017
Glad your DH is okay!

It's sad that so many people are so distracted when driving these days...

We're at a cross roads now and can't decide if we need to buy another vehicle or repair DH's truck.

It's older but in excellent condition but the Blue Book value is almost exactly the costs to repair it. We're contemplating having it totaled and then buying it back but I just don't know.... it's a PITA just having to deal with it at all..... Grrr!

@Play Care.... seems snowstorms always bring the "best" drivers out onto the roads.
Annalee 08:55 AM 02-15-2017
Glad your DH is okay!

It's sad that so many people are so distracted when driving these days...

We're at a cross roads now and can't decide if we need to buy another vehicle or repair DH's truck.

It's older but in excellent condition but the Blue Book value is almost exactly the costs to repair it. We're contemplating having it totaled and then buying it back but I just don't know.... it's a PITA just having to deal with it at all..... Grrr!

@Play Care.... seems snowstorms always bring the "best" drivers out onto the roads.
When that lady plowed into my husband not long ago, there was a $800 difference if we kept/surrendered the truck to the insurance company so we kept the truck, got dh a "new to him" one and my oldest just got his driver permit so guess what he is driving.....a little banged up but something he can afford to drive and still learn to take care of it. Not glad he wrecked but good deal for us...my brother knew a gentlemen that wanted a new truck and let us buy his (he had every paper where he had bought the truck new a few years back) for what trade-in would be....another win-win....good luck with whatever you decide!
Baby Beluga 09:03 AM 02-15-2017
Just had 4 totally awesome days off....just to come back to work and have the mother of all Monday's....

DCK's that are so beyond whiney, it's hard to even recognize them as kids I know...

Parents that all seem to have forgotten how to read or follow directions and then are confused when called out on it....

A dentist that must be huffing the laughing gas in-between patients....

and then to top it all off, DH is leaving Home Depot and some dumb@$$ that apparently can't drive and talk at the same time t-bones him and totally takes out the entire driver's side of DH's truck.

Tomorrow had better be a better day..................
Yikes! Glad both of your DH's are okay!
daycarediva 10:44 AM 02-15-2017
YES! And the dc parents who 'risk it'. Had a dcm get STUCK on her country road in her tiny car, it wasn't plowed yet. She had to be towed. The schools were on a two hour delay (and then closed) She's a teacher.... what?
lovemykidstoo 07:04 AM 02-17-2017
It's that time of year...Stomach Flu season 😷

I sent 2 DCK home with it last Wednesday, on Friday one DCM text saying their DD had caught it, Friday Afternoon I sent DCB home with a high fever, Sunday I came down with the stomach flu and had to close yesterday, and DF was struck in the middle of the night. I am so scared my 3 month old DS will get it too.

Almost a week of cleaning, sanitizing, lysoling and bleaching, and it still made it through every child and both myself and DF. Ugh.

Spring, where are you?!?
So sorry! I feel your pain. Couple of weeks ago my daughter (16) had high fever, body aches, cough. That left. Then a dcb the next week had the vomit flu over the weekend and so did his mom and dad. Last week 6 out of 8 of my dcks had vomits and I got it Friday. I have not had vomit flu in 35 years. It got me, my husband 6 hours later and my daughter 3 days after that. It's going to be in the 50's here starting tomorrow and I cannot wait. Even if it's just a week of it, I'll take it!
Indoorvoice 11:33 AM 02-17-2017
Why when school is out do my friends and neighbors think I want their school age kids at my house? I'm working, no you may not have a free play date! Especially at nap time! Go away!
Leigh 12:32 PM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Why when school is out do my friends and neighbors think I want their school age kids at my house? I'm working, no you may not have a free play date! Especially at nap time! Go away!
RIGHT?!?! I have a neighbor's child (she's around 10) who knocks on my door every time school is out and all summer long. She comes here looking for my foster son who has been gone for nearly 2 years. She can NOT understand that he doesn't live here anymore (he does visit about once a month, but he doesn't want to see her when he does). Always knocks at naptime, making the dog bark, wanting to come in to visit (NO!), and then asks if she can come in and play with the daycare kids (NO!). I have told her that I am not allowed to have anyone else here during daycare, and I seriously wonder if her mom is sending her here. Because of her and her siblings, we have had to keep padlocks on our backyard to keep them out of it (even outside of daycare hours).
Sumshine 12:38 PM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
RIGHT?!?! I have a neighbor's child (she's around 10) who knocks on my door every time school is out and all summer long. She comes here looking for my foster son who has been gone for nearly 2 years. She can NOT understand that he doesn't live here anymore (he does visit about once a month, but he doesn't want to see her when he does). Always knocks at naptime, making the dog bark, wanting to come in to visit (NO!), and then asks if she can come in and play with the daycare kids (NO!). I have told her that I am not allowed to have anyone else here during daycare, and I seriously wonder if her mom is sending her here. Because of her and her siblings, we have had to keep padlocks on our backyard to keep them out of it (even outside of daycare hours).
I would be having a conversation with the parents/neighbors! I would just say I'm trying to run a business and I can get in big trouble and be held liable for a lot of things that don't seem to be a big deal to Outsiders but in this industry it is a big deal and I would really appreciate them if they respected that and make sure that they don't come on to your property during regular hours of operation!

When I first moved the kids across the street really liked to coming over too. I just kept politely reminding them that they couldn't and even had a conversation with their sitter as the parents were never around when the issue happened and luckily the issue resolved itself! I am hoping that with this nice or weather and winter coming to an end that it doesn't begin again!
Mom2Two 01:13 PM 02-17-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have a 3 yo who has an illness (Hirschprung's) that causes her to have ZERO control over her colon. She has CONSTANT anal leakage. Some days, it's not an issue. Today, I want to throw up. She just STINKS so much that I can't tolerate being within 5 feet of her, and of course, she's so sweet and cuddly that she wants to be with me all day. I'm thinking of putting one of those little tree air fresheners around her neck!
I'm in awe of you that you keep her. I don't think I could do it. I have a sensitive gag reflex and I don't think I could handle it. Although if it suppressed my appetite, it could be the diet I've needed...
Mom2Two 01:22 PM 02-17-2017
Poop paint incident yesterday...sort of. 3 yo dcb has had a couple poop accidents lately in his undies and on the toilet seat. I'm not exactly sure how this happens. But he also tries to clean himself up--with his bare hands. Then to clean his hands he wipes them all over my bathroom. Oh, and when I first entered the bathroom to find out why he was taking so long, I stepped in a blob on the floor, which soaked straight through my socks.

I did my best to clean him up and I changed his clothes then I called for pick up, because I just didn't feel like I was able to get him clean enough.

I had a 13 gallon garbage bag half full of trash from the clean up then his clothes in another bag. It took forever to clean up.

One of the best policy changes I ever made was to charge $20 for an underwear accident. It helps take away some of the pain.
Madison 03:25 PM 02-20-2017
How long before you allow child back to daycare when parents are home with stomach bug? Really? Please stay home if you have stomach bug in your home to prevent my other 5 daycare children from getting it.

Now getting nasty text from parent who thinks I'm only zeroing in on her.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:55 PM 02-24-2017
It's supposed to be nap time. All the kiddos had to be separated today and are all crying in separate rooms. It feels less like daycare and more like kiddy prison.... but it's FRIDAY!
Pepperth 11:17 AM 02-28-2017
Its just a rotton day all around. The screen on my phone cracked when I dropped it for the umpteenth time. Fun plans for my son were cancelled that I know I'll have to deal with when he gets home tonight. (Because I'll be the one he directs his frustration to.) And I had a visitor observing my daycare today from QRIS. I've never seen the kids behave like they did today. It was so, so frustrating...and my younger son was the ring leader.
MsLisa 06:41 AM 03-02-2017
I'm never ever ever watching my friend's son again. I never met a 5yr old so arrogant and rude!
He brags about his trophies. Anything we played with he had more of or better of at home (legos, nerf, etc). He called my car small and told me my dog smells. Even just building stuff with him he kept saying "You're never gonna build as good as me. You're never gonna catch up." Over and over again. It's legos....freakin chill. I just hate little kids like that and knowing his mom, it's not too surprising. Ironically, the older brother is the sensitive, emotional book worm who would never utter such things.
Hunni Bee 12:01 PM 03-02-2017
Second day of dcg falling asleep at the extreme end of nap. Yesterday it was 2:55, today 2:51. Grrrr. And she cannot be woken up til I give her at least 30 minutes. She fights sleep so hard and then just gives up at the very end.
Unregistered 06:36 PM 03-06-2017
If I have to tie another pair of shoes I am going to lose my mind! Why are they putting lace up shoes on kids who can't tie them? And don't get me started on shoes that won't stay on, parents must be aware that the shoes keep falling off.
Play Care 05:43 AM 03-07-2017
Today is the second day I have the two boys and the older one is not going to pre-K. Apparently there is a transportation issue that they are working out. I am NOT a special needs provider and this child clearly needs additional services. The younger brother would benefit from not having older bro around also. I hope that this is fixed ASAP because he needs to be in school getting his therapies.
daycarediva 10:19 AM 03-07-2017
Today is the second day I have the two boys and the older one is not going to pre-K. Apparently there is a transportation issue that they are working out. I am NOT a special needs provider and this child clearly needs additional services. The younger brother would benefit from not having older bro around also. I hope that this is fixed ASAP because he needs to be in school getting his therapies.

How is it beyond a call to the bus garage and school to clarify pick up and drop off location and times? WTH! I would be annoyed.
Play Care 10:46 AM 03-07-2017
How is it beyond a call to the bus garage and school to clarify pick up and drop off location and times? WTH! I would be annoyed.
He was getting transportation with a private agency as he lives 45-50 minutes from the school. Now, he's in my dc, and he's maybe 30 minutes from the school. I had thought this would be easier but I guess not
Play Care 10:47 AM 03-07-2017
And my other vent - my 10 month old infant *always* poops during nap. I change her quietly and quickly but she's UP...
daycarediva 11:00 AM 03-07-2017
He was getting transportation with a private agency as he lives 45-50 minutes from the school. Now, he's in my dc, and he's maybe 30 minutes from the school. I had thought this would be easier but I guess not
Is he classified as special needs? that IS a headache, and he could even lose services if they didn't preapprove the move!
Play Care 11:05 AM 03-07-2017
Is he classified as special needs? that IS a headache, and he could even lose services if they didn't preapprove the move!
Yes. So he really does need to get to school
Apparently mom notified the agency and it was approved. But she thinks that they didn't actually go over the logistics until yesterday morning

I've had to talk to the agency twice, and the owner is a moron. Rude, etc.
AmyKidsCo 11:07 AM 03-07-2017
Wish there was a polite way to tell the parents I turned down an extra $50 to keep their kids healthy.
daycarediva 11:19 AM 03-07-2017
Yes. So he really does need to get to school
Apparently mom notified the agency and it was approved. But she thinks that they didn't actually go over the logistics until yesterday morning

I've had to talk to the agency twice, and the owner is a moron. Rude, etc.

I HATED who we worked with before we moved. We put a contingency on our home offer that they would approve the move for ds. Even though I KNOW there WILL be issues bc in sped, there literally ALWAYS is. I will call the week before to remind them. They will 'know' and they they will not pick him up. We are already making back up transportation plans. Can your parents do that until they get it straightened out?
Play Care 11:22 AM 03-07-2017
I HATED who we worked with before we moved. We put a contingency on our home offer that they would approve the move for ds. Even though I KNOW there WILL be issues bc in sped, there literally ALWAYS is. I will call the week before to remind them. They will 'know' and they they will not pick him up. We are already making back up transportation plans. Can your parents do that until they get it straightened out?
I don't think so. Dad was out of work and just got hired. Mom is a teacher. No family in the area. It's just a sucky situation all around. And I even thought of offering to do it until things get straightened out, but you know what would happen then...
daycarediva 11:25 AM 03-07-2017
I don't think so. Dad was out of work and just got hired. Mom is a teacher. No family in the area. It's just a sucky situation all around. And I even thought of offering to do it until things get straightened out, but you know what would happen then...
Oh yes I do.
Ariana 11:33 AM 03-07-2017
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
I'm never ever ever watching my friend's son again. I never met a 5yr old so arrogant and rude!
He brags about his trophies. Anything we played with he had more of or better of at home (legos, nerf, etc). He called my car small and told me my dog smells. Even just building stuff with him he kept saying "You're never gonna build as good as me. You're never gonna catch up." Over and over again. It's legos....freakin chill. I just hate little kids like that and knowing his mom, it's not too surprising. Ironically, the older brother is the sensitive, emotional book worm who would never utter such things.
My neighbours kid is like this. She is 7 and is the most annoying child on the face of the earth. When you try to have a conversation with her she just looks at you blankly and then starts telling you all about how many hatchimals she has she is hopped up on anxiety and is completely deranged!! It sucks because they are the only kids on my street that a) go outside and b) are my kids ages.

Play Care 12:39 PM 03-07-2017
Oh yes I do.
Mom just picked up.
They told her the options are:
1. he get the bus here at 7:15 and gets back at 3:45. This means he's on the bus for an hour and a half
2. She finds a way to get him to and from.
3. she find a new "babysitter"

They are claiming that since it's a change of county that they technically don't have to transport at all.
But no one said this last week. In fact, the I spoke with their transportation coordinator last week and she herself told me it was set.
Ugh.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:21 PM 03-07-2017
And my other vent - my 10 month old infant *always* poops during nap. I change her quietly and quickly but she's UP...
I had this child. I tried everything. I'm still convinced she held it and only relaxed enough to poop during nap- EVERY DAY. Things got better somewhere around 17 months old, and she started pooping while awake. I feel your pain.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 03-08-2017
DC parent arrives at normal scheduled time.
Drops off her two children.
Tells me if I need her, call her cell.
She won't be at work today as part of the "Day Without Women" stand she is taking to support gender equality.

This was our 3 minute conversation:

DCM: "It's important for others to understand what America would be like without women workers so taking a stand and not going into work today is a giant step in support of working women every where."

Me: "I am a woman and I am working today"

DCM: "Yeah, I'm talking about women in real jobs. Know what I mean?"

Me: "Nope."

I pushed the door shut.
Indoorvoice 07:43 AM 03-08-2017
She won't be at work today as part of the "Day Without Women" stand she is taking to support gender equality.

DCM: "It's important for others to understand what America would be like without women workers so taking a stand and not going into work today is a giant step in support of working women every where."

I pushed the door shut.
Um, what? I just can't today.
Baby Beluga 08:18 AM 03-08-2017

I pushed the door shut.
Wow...

I have always wondered. If people in general look down upon caregivers and our jobs, then why leave your child with us? If I looked down on someone for any reason the last thing I would do is leave my children with them.
daycarediva 09:08 AM 03-08-2017
Mom just picked up.
They told her the options are:
1. he get the bus here at 7:15 and gets back at 3:45. This means he's on the bus for an hour and a half
2. She finds a way to get him to and from.
3. she find a new "babysitter"

They are claiming that since it's a change of county that they technically don't have to transport at all.
But no one said this last week. In fact, the I spoke with their transportation coordinator last week and she herself told me it was set.
Ugh.
Wow. Can you call, or Mom to debate this. Literally everything is up for negotiation in sped. Seriously, they are 'denying services' at this point due to a previously agreed upon transportation arrangement. If I was Mom, I would push.

I pushed the door shut.
VERY similar conversation I had with a dcm yesterday. She took the day off and said "All career women should not be working today." I said "That doesn't include me!" her response "Well, it's not like this is a real career anyway." Says the woman with an art major and a retail job (management, but still) She goes on and on about 'gender equality' but her dd is the most diva thing ever who is The Princess (that's what they call her) and if her ds cries, he WILL hear "BIG BOYS DON'T CRY." Um, what?
Play Care 09:30 AM 03-08-2017

I pushed the door shut.
Ugh. So disrespectful.
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45  ... Last
Reply Up