Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Power Outages
Missjaime 06:02 PM 02-20-2017
I have been looking all day at our (California) licensing handbook and I can't find anything about how long we can be open without power to the house. We are going through some nasty storms this week and next and I have already lost power once in this storm season, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the rules are on closing when a power outage occurs. I honestly can't think of something that would preclude me from doing my job - except not having warm/hot water or my house getting too cold. During the day, even in bad weather, we have enough light from windows. Thoughts?
daycare 06:44 PM 02-20-2017
Originally Posted by Missjaime:
I have been looking all day at our (California) licensing handbook and I can't find anything about how long we can be open without power to the house. We are going through some nasty storms this week and next and I have already lost power once in this storm season, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the rules are on closing when a power outage occurs. I honestly can't think of something that would preclude me from doing my job - except not having warm/hot water or my house getting too cold. During the day, even in bad weather, we have enough light from windows. Thoughts?
I am also in CA. I AM in the north as well. l called LIC last week and was told that after one hour without power we must close. Hope that helps.
Missjaime 07:20 PM 02-20-2017
Thanks, that does help. Just wanting to let parents know in advance so they can be prepared. Good luck to you - hope you are in a safe zone!
daycare 07:27 PM 02-20-2017
Originally Posted by Missjaime:
Thanks, that does help. Just wanting to let parents know in advance so they can be prepared. Good luck to you - hope you are in a safe zone!
I am doing great can't speak for the rest of my community. Lots of floods every where. You too stay safe. This is crazy weather for us CA PEOPLE. I know I'm struggling through it with my kiddos. We've been in doors for weeks now. ��
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am also in CA. I AM in the north as well. l called LIC last week and was told that after one hour without power we must close. Hope that helps.
Curious if your regulations state "why" you must close after an hour?

We have regulations about power outages but they only specify closing if we can't maintain a specific temp in the house (warm in winter/cool in summer) but otherwise we don't have to close just because we don't have power so I was just curious about other state's regulations and reasons.
Lovisa 06:13 AM 02-21-2017
I'm in Ca too. These storms have been crazy! We were without power for 6 hours one day last week. I was still able to feed them, give them drinks, they played and napped like normal and it wasn't too cold in the house. I didn't even think about closing. I guess I should get a hold of my analyst and see what she says for the next time it happens. I live in a very old neighborhood and outages are pretty common when we have bad winds.
LysesKids 06:25 AM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

We have regulations about power outages but they only specify closing if we can't maintain a specific temp in the house (warm in winter/cool in summer) but otherwise we don't have to close just because we don't have power so I was just curious about other state's regulations and reasons.
Here having no elec power also means no running water so cleaning up after meals or making baby bottles (I have to heat water for Expressed milk) is pretty much out. I keep bottled water for times a water main breaks but regs say I have to close after a few hours for water issues if lines aren't fixed. I've seen actual centers close near me because of water main breaks and it puts alot of parents out for a day or 2
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Here having no elec power also means no running water so cleaning up after meals or making baby bottles (I have to heat water for Expressed milk) is pretty much out. I keep bottled water for times a water main breaks but regs say I have to close after a few hours for water issues if lines aren't fixed. I've seen actual centers close near me because of water main breaks and it puts alot of parents out for a day or 2
Not necessarily... Depends on where you live and how your water is set up. (I know you said "here"...in reference to where you live) but it's different everywhere so I am curious as to the reasons why for each state/area.

If I have no power I still have running water. I don't at my home where I have a well and pump but I do in town while on city water. I also maintain use of my flushing toilet.

I also have hot water until the water in the water heater cools but no where in our licensing does it specify I must have hot water. Just water.
daycare 06:29 AM 02-21-2017

She didn't give me a reason why. She just said after an hour you should close. Our school district has the same rule.
LysesKids 08:08 AM 02-21-2017
Not necessarily... Depends on where you live and how your water is set up. (I know you said "here"...in reference to where you live) but it's different everywhere so I am curious as to the reasons why for each state/area.

If I have no power I still have running water. I don't at my home where I have a well and pump but I do in town while on city water. I also maintain use of my flushing toilet.

I also have hot water until the water in the water heater cools but no where in our licensing does it specify I must have hot water. Just water.
That's just it... half the homes have wells in neighboring areas but the 250 houses in my neighborhood are on city water... same city that runs the Electric; when the elect goes so does our water. We can't have gas/propane were I live for heat either. When the pipes break close to 1000+ homes can be affected... dependent on the pole your home attaches too will depend on if you have power but next door might not ( it's crazy here)
Annalee 09:07 AM 02-21-2017

Licensing in TN is the same way. We can't open without water or electricity. We will be in violation of Health codes if we opened. The power company scheduled an outage to update in my area back in May. Was scheduled to be off for two hours...my licensor said I had to close or not open until power was restored.... If it goes off during working hours and stays off for more than "several minutes", we call for pickup. It is in my contract/policy due to Health/environment monitor mandates. ??

FWIW The reason I know this is I got busted back in teh 90's when the tornadoes came through wiping out power for a few days and I opened. Health dept was going around shutting people down and I was one of them. LOL
LysesKids 09:24 AM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Licensing in TN is the same way. We can't open without water or electricity. We will be in violation of Health codes if we opened. The power company scheduled an outage to update in my area back in May. Was scheduled to be off for two hours...my licensor said I had to close or not open until power was restored.... If it goes off during working hours and stays off for more than "several minutes", we call for pickup. It is in my contract/policy due to Health/environment monitor mandates. ??

FWIW The reason I know this is I got busted back in teh 90's when the tornadoes came through wiping out power for a few days and I opened. Health dept was going around shutting people down and I was one of them. LOL
That's why I closed in the ice storm a few yrs back; no power for 5 days & it was -20 out, of course I rented a large extended stay room with kitchen & cared for 2 "grandkids" for a few hrs that week, I lost some $$ but not as much as some others. Being licensed exempt allowed for that...
hwichlaz 08:04 AM 02-22-2017
My licensor, in California, said that as long as I can maintain temp and have water we're good.

We have a wood stove that we heat the house with with central heat as our back up, and our water is municipal so no issues there. I do have to get out the old pen and paper for the food program when it happens though.
daycare 08:07 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
My licensor, in California, said that as long as I can maintain temp and have water we're good.

We have a wood stove that we heat the house with with central heat as our back up, and our water is municipal so no issues there. I do have to get out the old pen and paper for the food program when it happens though.
I love how NOTHING in Ca is ever consistent. Lol
I'm in northern ca. Mind me asking what part you are in.
hwichlaz 08:11 AM 02-22-2017
I'm in Lake County. We're licensed through Sonoma County. It also depends on who answers the phone when you call. There is nothing in regs about it, so maybe your licensor was just suggesting an amount of time for you? My actual licensor is really good about siting the section of Title 22 that she's refering to. But the licensor of the day not so much, lol.

I've started the habit of sending an email to my actual rep. re-iterating what the licensor of the day told me when I call. Just in case she wants to refute it.
daycare 09:47 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I'm in Lake County. We're licensed through Sonoma County. It also depends on who answers the phone when you call. There is nothing in regs about it, so maybe your licensor was just suggesting an amount of time for you? My actual licensor is really good about siting the section of Title 22 that she's refering to. But the licensor of the day not so much, lol.

I've started the habit of sending an email to my actual rep. re-iterating what the licensor of the day told me when I call. Just in case she wants to refute it.
that is a good idea to email them so that you have evidence of what you were told...I think I will start doing that too. My licensor is pretty good, but she is so emotionally robotic that I have a hard time talking with her or even emailing her. I guess I mean I have a hard time connecting with her...lol
Tags:electricity, electricity - not, loss of power, no electricity, no power, power outages
Reply Up