Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With Non-Nappers?
LeslieG 06:37 AM 02-03-2017
I have a family with a 4 year old inquiring about my daycare. They want to know what I do with children who do not nap. I don't really know what to tell her because I've never had a child that didn't nap.

So I'm curious, what do you do with non-nappers? I'm especially interested in what you do if you don't have a large area.

Thank you!
Claraskids 06:47 AM 02-03-2017
Simple but maybe harsh - I don't enroll.
It is stated in my handbook that "children who have outgrown afternoon naps have outgrown my daycare." Keep in mind that I graduate children when they start kindergarten so I don't take school agers.
I made the exception once with a mellow 5 year old the summer before she started school. It was still too much work.
Play Care 06:48 AM 02-03-2017
I don't take them.

My state regs prohibit me from napping a child who I know doesn't need the nap. They are supposed to get provider led activity while everyone else is napping. IME, there is no way to do this, and the kids under 6 don't have the ability to play/work quietly for 2 hours.
I simply don't have the space to accommodate that. My contract says quiet time is mandatory and a child who has outgrown quiet time has outgrown my care.
LeslieG 06:49 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
It is stated in my handbook that "children who have outgrown afternoon naps have outgrown my daycare." Keep in mind that I graduate children when they start kindergarten so I don't take school agers.
I made the exception once with a mellow 5 year old the summer before she started school. It was still too much work.
That's a great idea to put that in your policies. I, too, do not take children once they start kindergarten. Thank you!
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
That's a great idea to put that in your policies. I, too, do not take children once they start kindergarten. Thank you!
My handbook says "I do not accept children that do not participate in afternoon rest time. If a child no longer requires afternoon rest time, they have outgrown my program and will need to seek alternate care"

Once they start Kindy, I don't take them anymore anyways.
daycarediva 07:16 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't take them.

My state regs prohibit me from napping a child who I know doesn't need the nap. They are supposed to get provider led activity while everyone else is napping. IME, there is no way to do this, and the kids under 6 don't have the ability to play/work quietly for 2 hours.
I simply don't have the space to accommodate that. My contract says quiet time is mandatory and a child who has outgrown quiet time has outgrown my care.
Provider led? Where does it say that!? I just thought they had to be allowed off their mat. So crazy how it's up to interpretation. My registrar says that they are required to have a 'rest period' (which is what I call naptime anyway) what I do is have my 4yo non napper rest for 30 minutes. If she isn't asleep after that, she gets up, goes into the quiet area (books, kid furniture, small table) and does an a quiet activity of her choosing. It's right next to me, so we whisper if she wants to talk, but I don't DO anything with her. She naps about 1/2 the time, she's incredibly quiet and never disrupts the other kids when she stays awake.
Gemma 07:46 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
I do exactly that^
Sumshine 07:53 AM 02-03-2017
My son rarely naps and every once in a blue moon 3 yr old DCB doesn't nap either. They have the choice of
A- Watching some TV on their cots in the general daycare area while the others nap in the adjacent room
B- Playing very quietly with something on their cot if they'd like or on our table

It's worked out well so far. 9 out of 10 times my son lays down on his cot the entire time watching tv or he will play legos or something. If he gets to be too wild he gets no tv and has to do an activity that isn't his "fav" that I pick for him so he has learned quick being quiet is important

I don't think I could handle a handful of non nappers but 1 or 2 older ones (4-5) wouldn't kill me. I can still get stuff done during quiet time and watch them without worry of supervision risks. It's whatever you're comfortable with. Ask me in a year or 2 I'll probably tell you I don't take non nappers either because man I just need a break in my day!
Play Care 08:19 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Provider led? Where does it say that!? I just thought they had to be allowed off their mat. So crazy how it's up to interpretation. My registrar says that they are required to have a 'rest period' (which is what I call naptime anyway) what I do is have my 4yo non napper rest for 30 minutes. If she isn't asleep after that, she gets up, goes into the quiet area (books, kid furniture, small table) and does an a quiet activity of her choosing. It's right next to me, so we whisper if she wants to talk, but I don't DO anything with her. She naps about 1/2 the time, she's incredibly quiet and never disrupts the other kids when she stays awake.
Provider led isn't in the regs, but I'm pretty sure not making non-nappers lay down is (I recall reading it at some point and my licensor specifically asked about it on a inspection) I should have been more clear - IME, younger non-nappers need provider led activity to keep quiet.
The summer before K is when I stop napping kids so they can get used to it. But then they are done with my care.
Second Home 08:32 AM 02-03-2017
Here all non school aged children are required to have a rest time per the regs .

We are only allowed 30 minutes of tv per week . So no movies for a child who does not nap .

I will not take a child who does not nap . I understand that once in a while a child may not nap . But I will not enroll a child when I am told up front that they do not nap.
Poptarts22 09:56 AM 02-03-2017
Everyone here is required to either nap, or rest quietly on their mat. If they can't remain quietly resting or playing then they have outgrown my care
Unregistered 10:15 AM 02-03-2017
Same here as pp. Also if a child is being disruptive during nap time so other children cannot nap, I have in my handbook that parents will be called for pick up.
LostMyMarbles 10:31 AM 02-03-2017
I have half who do not nap. When my little are napping, I get good quality time with my non nappers. Its time to bust out the manuplatives with smaller pieces, legos, paints, or games. I am not one who needs me time during work hours. My non nappers LOVE this time of the day and so do I.
Play Care 12:25 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
I have half who do not nap. When my little are napping, I get good quality time with my non nappers. Its time to bust out the manuplatives with smaller pieces, legos, paints, or games. I am not one who needs me time during work hours. My non nappers LOVE this time of the day and so do I.
"Me" time?! I wish, lol. I'm cleaning, sanitizing, doing paperwork, planning the menu for the month, making sure kids cubbies are packed up (some of my kiddos get picked up right after nap) I have SA kids, so I'm setting up snack and activities to keep them busy until pick up. I actually have to PACK my lunch even though I WAH because occasionally I get so busy I forget to eat

Me time....

I am one that believes that "me" time comes after the work day is over.
debbiedoeszip 02:05 PM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I have a family with a 4 year old inquiring about my daycare. They want to know what I do with children who do not nap. I don't really know what to tell her because I've never had a child that didn't nap.

So I'm curious, what do you do with non-nappers? I'm especially interested in what you do if you don't have a large area.

Thank you!
I had a non-napper yesterday (PA day at school; he's the older brother of my FT dcb). I had him (just turned 5) do some non-messy art (colouring, cutting, etc), reading, let him listen to an audiobook from youtube, and let him play with the foam blocks. I have a separate nap room for the nappers but it's directly off of the playroom and one of my dckids is a super light sleeper so I have to keep the playroom quiet when she's napping.

I think he was bored to tears, but it was only an hour and a half and he kept quiet. Dealing with boredom is a good skill to learn. I was happy to provide him with an opportunity to practice LOL.
CollegeWorker 11:56 PM 02-06-2017
We do "rest" instead of nap. Half the kids nap, the other half don't. One dck who used to be the best napper is now starting to be weaned off them, only falling asleep half the time.

Before nap we read stories, then the dcks get to pick one or two books to take with them to their bed.

Nap is 1:30-3:00 (snack time).

If we have a dcg who reliably never naps, we'll let them take more books or a quiet activity like drawing. Same rules though, lights dim, stay quiet, and only get up in you need something until we turn off the nap candles (colorful tea lights. If they're on, it's rest time. When we turn them off, they can get up). We allow this dcg to get up at 2:05 because she doesn't actually need a rest period like the other dcks. She can then find a quiet activity, or stay in bed if she wants.

The dcb who used to nap but is now staying awake more often has a longer rest period. Partially because he'll sometimes fall asleep around 2:10 if we leave him, partially because he really needs a rest period if we don't want a monster on our hands later. If it's clear he's being restless, I'll usually let him up somewhere between 2:15-2:30. He also finds quiet activity until rest of kids get woken up.

When everyone is awake they put away their own beds while I prepare snack, then we all enjoy
thrivingchildcarecom 10:33 AM 02-07-2017
I have a memo that I have added to my policies. The memo explains what I am mandated by my state to do with regard to naps. I would be happy to share the memo and you can just tweak it for your use. If you would like me to forward it, just PM me with your email address.
KSDC 07:42 AM 02-08-2017
Until they turn 5, all my children lie down for a nap. For the 4 year olds, if they lie still and quiet for 30 minutes and don't fall asleep, they can get up. (Although, they almost always fall asleep!)
My 5 year olds have 30 minutes of silent time with books. (They sometimes fall asleep!)

After the 30 minutes is up, then the non-nappers have quiet activities. Coloring, legos, cards or board games, short turns on the computer with educational games, doll houses, etc.
My space is set up so that the nappers are in one room, and my older kids can play in the play room.
Tags:non sleepers, won't sleep
Reply Up