Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Turning Down a SA
Indoorvoice 09:14 AM 02-07-2017
How do you turn down a school ager of a parent with a younger child enrolled? She knows I have the space this summer. I don't have a reason not to other than I don't want to. The girl is high maintenance. I told her I would have to think about it because I don't normally take school aged kids. I need a nice way to say no or for someone to tell me just to do it. I will have my own school ager home for the summer who is the same age...
Poptarts22 09:17 AM 02-07-2017
I don't take SA children, sorry
JackandJill 09:18 AM 02-07-2017
I've told parents my child care isn't designed for a school age child. I would not be able to give them the proper activities required by a child that age throughout the day.

I have had one parent counter with the child bringing their own "things" to stay occupied and just had to say that even with things from home, I still can not accommodate a SA child.
Sumshine 09:32 AM 02-07-2017
I agree I would just put it on your program structure. Say that they will have much more fun elsewhere and with peers their own age

You can also say that you like to devote your time and attention to the amount of kids you have right now and you don't want to increase in numbers currently no matter what the age.
daycarediva 11:28 AM 02-07-2017
I take before and after school kids, but found a camp for them during breaks and summer. I tell parents up front that my own kids aren't always here (they're not) and that they are not guaranteed play mates for their child, in addition, the SA dck's must nap/rest, no screen time, etc. So it isn't a good fit for more than a couple of hours a day. They understand (or don't, IDC haha)
CityGarden 11:33 AM 02-07-2017
I would simply tell mom your program does not suit SA well and you highly suggest she consider X, Y or Z program.

I offer my parents referrals for a winter camp (I plan to close during the break) as well as 2-3 summer programs I would offer to SA children. I am careful to only offer program that are summer/winter only so they do not compete with my program for my target age.

Honestly I could not complete with some of the amazing SA programs in my area.
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
How do you turn down a school ager of a parent with a younger child enrolled? She knows I have the space this summer. I don't have a reason not to other than I don't want to. The girl is high maintenance. I told her I would have to think about it because I don't normally take school aged kids. I need a nice way to say no or for someone to tell me just to do it. I will have my own school ager home for the summer who is the same age...
Do you have other SA besides yours?
Indoorvoice 12:11 PM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you have other SA besides yours?
No I don't. I know she's asking because I took her as a drop in last summer before she started kindergarten so she's expecting it again this summer. I don't know what I'm going to do with my own 6 yo, let alone this one. My program is best suited for babies-4 years. The only reason I'm considering it is because she said it would only be 2 days week and I am down one child for the summer so it would be good replacement income. But gosh, last summer was rough whenever she was here.
Play Care 12:16 PM 02-07-2017
For me the sanity is worth more than the money.
If SA is not a service you offer, say no. Don't be wishy washy or mom will push. And once she has her foot in the door she'll probably want more days, etc.
Good Luck!!
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
No I don't. I know she's asking because I took her as a drop in last summer before she started kindergarten so she's expecting it again this summer. I don't know what I'm going to do with my own 6 yo, let alone this one. My program is best suited for babies-4 years. The only reason I'm considering it is because she said it would only be 2 days week and I am down one child for the summer so it would be good replacement income. But gosh, last summer was rough whenever she was here.
"Sorry, DCM but I have no other SA'ers in attendance and experience has taught me that is more work than I'd like to put in. My own child has lots of summer plans so she/he won't be around much either. I am sure Sally will be much happier in a program geared towards SA kids. I am sure you understand"

That is how I'd get out of it....

It's truthful and leaves no room for argument.
Gemma 02:33 PM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
I don't take SA children, sorry
I would say that^
Tags:school agers, siblings
Reply Up