Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do I Care?
Conoad 01:27 PM 02-10-2017
I have a family with 2 kids - one half day mornings and leaves for kindergarten and one school age. They both come back after school. They pay for full time spots but hardly use me. It's always last minute - hey, they won't be here after school today or kinder girl will be with grandma rest of week, etc.
I'm paid regardless of attendance. I thought about terming and filling spots from my waiting list. I get paid without doing any work so not sure why it bothers me.
happymom 02:14 PM 02-10-2017
This actually seems like a very nice arrangement for you (from the outside looking in).

I only see the parents side of this which is "well if I'm paying provider regardless, they should be all smiles if they don't have to work"

I think you should keep them =)
e.j. 02:47 PM 02-10-2017
Maybe it's the fact that it's "always last minute" when they call out that bothers you? It seems like a cushy arrangement - getting paid full tuition for doing no work - but if you're buying extra food and craft supplies thinking the kids will be there that week, I can understand why it might irritate you. Also, thinking you're going to have an easy week and then having them show up as expected could be irritating depending on what their behavior is like when they're with you. Personally, I could learn to live with full pay/no work but it does require some flexibility.
Ariana 03:18 PM 02-10-2017
I totally get it! You want to work! It is boring sitting at home not working when you want to and you are getting paid and you have nothing else to do. I also understand people from the outside looking in saying "easy money" but they don't really understand!

I used to have a kid who was here 7 hours a day and slept for 5 of those hours. The other two he ate food. It was the absolute worst...eventhough it was "easy money" according to my husband. I just felt like I wanted to be busy and I wanted to work . Weird I know
Unregistered 07:22 PM 02-10-2017
That would make me crazy too, for two reasons...

1) I am crazy type A. I like my routine. I like knowing how to plan for the day. I don't like surprises in my daycare.

2) I know- mentally- this is a business. But when parents behave like this I can't help but feel like it's inconsiderate to my hard work and effort. When these patterns add up, it can leave ya feeling a little disrespected. I'm sure they mean no harm, and I may be too touchy- but it would irk me too. I have one family a little like this- I have to talk myself out of frustration quite often. Haha. I work too hard for that. I know it sounds crazy cause it's free money- but still....
Conoad 07:32 PM 02-10-2017
Yes! All of the above.
I feel like it disrupts our morning now when dcg is actually here. The other kids are always asking if she will be here.
I prefer the routine and knowing what my day will be like.
I've asked for an advanced notice about their week, but mom acts like things change daily for them. Kind of annoying. I'll ride it out until the school year ends. Thanks for getting it!
Pepperth 05:52 AM 02-11-2017
I kind of understand. Last summer, I adjusted everybody's schedule to lessen my workload. That way, I'd have more time with my own kids. It worked out so that I'd only be working 1/2 day on Monday's and only have 1 kid on Friday. It drove me crazy!!! I was still committed to be home all the time, and my kids were bored since their usual playmates weren't there. Lesson learned....routine is nice and knowing what to expect everyday is key for me. Maybe you are the same?
midaycare 01:29 PM 02-11-2017
I have thought of terming 2 brothers I have who are part time and then only come about every other week. I really don't like it when they aren't here! I want kids here, I want to share my resources with them, to teach them. It's annoying

I'm sticking it out for now...I have a long term relationship with them. They are good peeps.
Reply Up