Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potential New DCF Wants To Meet Family.....
Unregistered 06:18 PM 02-15-2017
I had a phone interview with a potential new dcf. They follow a teacher's schedule, which is something I really am interested in pursuing.
While discussing setting up a time to come tour, out of my mouth comes how my husband usually takes the kids out for special time so that I can concentrate on the interview. In hindsight, I have no idea why I shared that, it just came out. So, she says "oh we would like to meet your husband and kids and see who she (dcd) will be around". Well, my husband won't be here when her child is and my older kids will be in school for all but maybe an hour, hour and half, max. The two younger ones aren't yet in school and would be here, so I guess I could keep them around.
I have been doing this long enough to know that it won't be a great first impression because of how my kids tend to get a bit more...."animated" when there is a new audience. (Is this just me this happens to? Sort of like when some kids get wild at pick up and drop off).
So, that being said....how do I turn this around? When she said this I said OK to move on quickly but didn't explain.
So..Sunday is the interview/tour....how would you proceed? Just not have the family here when they show up? I mean, I get if they were here the whole time their daughter was going to be but my husband won't be here until an hour after they leave, and my school agers *maybe* an hour.
What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance!
racemom 07:52 PM 02-15-2017
If you are open to them meeting your family. I would have my husband and kids ready to leave as they arrive, a quick introduction and out the door they go. Otherwise, have them gone and if parents ask, simply tell them you find it easier to interview without any distractions.
jenboo 08:00 PM 02-15-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
If you are open to them meeting your family. I would have my husband and kids ready to leave as they arrive, a quick introduction and out the door they go. Otherwise, have them gone and if parents ask, simply tell them you find it easier to interview without any distractions.
This is what i would do
childcaremom 12:38 AM 02-16-2017
"Oh, they have plans and won't be around during the interview but if you become clients, you'll meet my youngest 2 as they are home and in care."

I would just be casual about it. During the interview, I would reiterate that your dh is not normally home during daycare hours and which of your children are. They are interviewing you, not your children.

Honestly, if it is your practice to not have your family around during interviews, I wouldn't have them there. Just as potential clients don't get to "meet" the other families in care, she doesn't get to interview your whole family.
Play Care 03:08 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
"Oh, they have plans and won't be around during the interview but if you become clients, you'll meet my youngest 2 as they are home and in care."

I would just be casual about it. During the interview, I would reiterate that your dh is not normally home during daycare hours and which of your children are. They are interviewing you, not your children.

Honestly, if it is your practice to not have your family around during interviews, I wouldn't have them there. Just as potential clients don't get to "meet" the other families in care, she doesn't get to interview your whole family.
This. Start off how you want to proceed. I wouldn't have my family change their plans for a potential client. Maybe she was just being nice/making conversation. But it's not a chance I would take.
DaveA 03:44 AM 02-16-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

I would go about it this way. I normally have interviews with my family at home because so they can meet my kids and DW (who is my first sub). That being said- you should do what you feel comfortable with. If you prefer to not have your family present at interviews, don't do it. I'm not big on DCFs getting to choose how I do things.

If you want them to meet, do what racemom suggests. Quick and easy.
JackandJill 04:48 AM 02-16-2017
I had a family do this, and it caught me off guard, so I said yes. After thinking about it, I stuck with my usual plan of my family not being present during the interview.

They asked a second time during the interview when they would meet the rest of the family. Since I was prepared I just casually replied that when dck started she would meet my boys, and my husband is so busy working, that if they see him it at all it will be to wave in the driveway

They are one of my best families. I think at the time it felt weird like they would scrutinize my family, but looking back, they probably were just genuinely interested in the family they would be joining 5 days a week!
Gemma 04:54 AM 02-16-2017
I schedule the first interview after closing, and that is non negotiable! After the first interview, if I feel it went well, then the pf is allowed to comeback for a second visit whenever they choose.
Conoad 09:15 AM 02-21-2017
I only schedule interviews when my husband is home. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't like strangers in my home when I'm alone. I insist they meet my husband and family. My husband and 2 adult children sub for me if needed.
Ariana 09:44 AM 02-21-2017
I always get husband and kids to stay for 10 minutes and then he announces "ok guys lets get ready to go to XYZ". And then he leaves! I want my husband to meet them and I want them to meet my husband. I think I would find it weird if they were not there and most parents understand that kids are crazy

I have a chatty 7 yr old so it is best of she leaves! Lol
Jupadia 09:52 AM 02-21-2017
My husband subs for me so I'll uselly let parents in the front door and introduce them to him and my boys. Then take them downstairs to see the daycare and show them the regular daycare entrance (backdoor) as well as the backyard. I also let them know my MIL subs more often then him but they are uselly good without meeting her first when I let them know she is a nurse. Downstairs I'm seperated enough for the boys upstairs not to get enough in the way. And my daycare kitchen and washroom are both down there as well.
Mom2Two 01:09 PM 02-21-2017
Originally Posted by Conoad:
I only schedule interviews when my husband is home. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't like strangers in my home when I'm alone. I insist they meet my husband and family. My husband and 2 adult children sub for me if needed.
Same here. I want potential families to meet my family. DH subs occasionally and DS (16) sometimes watches them if I have to run upstairs.

But apart from that I do like the "meet as they're leaving" idea.
Tags:meeting provider spouse, potential client, provider family
Reply Up