Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Proofing Help
midaycare 07:03 AM 08-21-2017
I have an inspection on Wednesday and I have new licensing consultant. My last one didn't say anything about my fridge/stove not being child proofed, but this one might. So...on to it. I need help though. I haven't found any solutions.

For the stove, the kids can't reach the knobs. But they can open the door. I can't find a good solution to lock the door. I've tried those locks you put on each side of the door (sticky back and magnetic both), and they just fall off. They are too short to work well.

The fridge is really hard because it is backed up with the door facing a wall. Nothing can reach around to fit the door as it sits. We just can't get back there to keep a lock on it.

I have one more issue...my pantry doesn't "close" with a regular door. It's two doors that meet in the middle. I will post a pic. Every lock I've tried just falls right off!

Okay, never mind. I can't post pic. It says I am missing a security token, whatever that means. I don't know how to explain these better.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 08-21-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have an inspection on Wednesday and I have new licensing consultant. My last one didn't say anything about my fridge/stove not being child proofed, but this one might. So...on to it. I need help though. I haven't found any solutions.

For the stove, the kids can't reach the knobs. But they can open the door. I can't find a good solution to lock the door. I've tried those locks you put on each side of the door (sticky back and magnetic both), and they just fall off. They are too short to work well.

The fridge is really hard because it is backed up with the door facing a wall. Nothing can reach around to fit the door as it sits. We just can't get back there to keep a lock on it.

I have one more issue...my pantry doesn't "close" with a regular door. It's two doors that meet in the middle. I will post a pic. Every lock I've tried just falls right off!

Okay, never mind. I can't post pic. It says I am missing a security token, whatever that means. I don't know how to explain these better.
For the pantry doors I would add an hook/eye latch at the very top of the two doors. That way they can't technically be opened unless they can reach the lock and yet you can easily flip it to open/close when needed. A latch like this:

As for the stove.....does your licensing rules actually state you have to have it locked or is it just assumed? My licensing rules don't specifically say I have to have a lock on the oven door or that they can't reach the knobs but it does use the language "inaccessible to children".
I don't allow them in the kitchen when cooking (unless it's a supervised cooking activity for preschoolers) so that "answer" is acceptable by licensing as meeting the requirement. Just wondering if your wording could be interpreted in the same way.....

If not, just stick the sticky door lock to the door and act like it's always there....
hwichlaz 07:12 AM 08-21-2017
Yes, I just baby gate my kitchen off. Only empty, unused fridges need to be locked here...so stored fridges.
midaycare 07:15 AM 08-21-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For the pantry doors I would add an hook/eye latch at the very top of the two doors. That way they can't technically be opened unless they can reach the lock and yet you can easily flip it to open/close when needed. A latch like this:

As for the stove.....does your licensing rules actually state you have to have it locked or is it just assumed? My licensing rules don't specifically say I have to have a lock on the oven door or that they can't reach the knobs but it does use the language "inaccessible to children".
I don't allow them in the kitchen when cooking (unless it's a supervised cooking activity for preschoolers) so that "answer" is acceptable by licensing as meeting the requirement. Just wondering if your wording could be interpreted in the same way.....

If not, just stick the sticky door lock to the door and act like it's always there....
GREAT idea for the pantry! Love it.

My stove wording is the same way, but I can't realistically block the kids off from the kitchen. There are 3 points of entry, with one being super large. But I also don't use the stove with them present...I cook all stove stuff the night before. Maybe that will work.
Baby Beluga 08:22 AM 08-21-2017
For your oven - have you tried one of these?

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/kitchen-b...-48408-3749221

I have had one on my oven for almost 6 years and it hasn't fallen off once.
midaycare 10:48 AM 08-21-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

That looks interesting. I saw it on Amazon last night but was wondering if it would work after all the other fails I've had. Thanks!
Baby Beluga 01:40 PM 08-21-2017
That looks interesting. I saw it on Amazon last night but was wondering if it would work after all the other fails I've had. Thanks!
I vote this! I love mine
284878 05:45 AM 08-22-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

We have one of these on the last stove. (Thanks for your post I forgot that we changed stove since my last inspection, that I'm still waiting on).
Anyways it worked well at first as it got older it got weak and would lift without sliding the lock. It was also right-handed friendly not left.
As for the fridge I didn't have anything on my fridge the last time I had an inspection.
Reply Up