Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going from Small to Large and back to small again
CrackerJacks 09:48 PM 11-30-2012
Wondering how many of you have gone from small to large back to small?

I hold a large license (max 12-14). When I first opened I held a small license (max 8) and cared for 5 kids (including my daughter) by myself. 4 years ago I started watching up to 10kids on any given day (all above 1.5yr) with one ft helper, as licensing only allows me to care for 6 children by myself, anything over 6 would mean I need to have help. I've been doing things this way for 4'years.

My assistant will be moving away in the beginning of the year and I'm trying to determine what I want to do. I will be at 6 kids when she leaves so there is no need (ratio/licensing reasons) to hire another assistant right away and I'm not sure that I want to go back to watching 10kids again. Yes, obviously I do make more $ off the bat, but I think after payroll, taxes and workers comp ins I don't think I'm making all that much more than I would if I were watching just 5/6 kids by myself.

But it's not just about the $ either. I remember when I used to be able to go for a walk to the park, the downtown area, the grocery store etc with my little group of kids. Try doing that with 10.....

Anyways....I went into a total ramble... For any of you that have gone through a time like this, what did you do? Just looking for different perspectives. Thanks
proudmommyofthree 09:48 AM 12-01-2012
I'm also in Ca. and just went from small to large. At times I think to my self that I want to go back to small because I make almost the same as if I had a small but with 6 more kids. Does that make sense. After paying everything it doesnt make sense to stay large.

So my husband has decided to be my helper and I am going to let my assistant go. (she is my sister in law and was looking for a job anyways so it worked out for us both)

I also wanted to mention that California lets you have up to 8 kids with out an assistant.

I had my small license for 4 years before i upgraded and always had 8 children, with 2 of them being school aged and 2 were my own.

I now have 14 kids, with my helper, but during the day i have 8 and i usually leave her with them while I go volunteer at my son's school.

You should do what best works for you. I know it will be hard terming families but at the end of the day your doing what works best for you.

Sorry not really good advice I'm a better listerner than giving advice. I just wanted to clarify that you can have up to 8 children on your own and maybe that would be enough of income for you.
CrackerJacks 02:41 PM 12-01-2012
You are correct that it is 8 if the 2 are school age..my child is school age...so really in the afternoons I would be at 7. I'm not interested in another SA child though...they bring in waaaay too much energy to my afternoons..and end up winding all the younger ones up..lol! I will prob just wait to dwindle down for a bit and see how that works for me. Thanks for listening
Reply Up