Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Field Trip Fail
jacksmommy13 08:23 AM 08-19-2017
At what point to do leave for a field trip if you're still waiting on a dck?
We planned a field trip to a local splash pad from 9-11.

DCD asked the day before if he could bring dcg at 8-8:15 (normal drop off at 8:30) I said ok. By 8:15 she wasn't here yet, I texted and asked if they were still coming. DCD said yes, but it'll be closer to 8:30. We waited around for them, no communication until I texted at 8:45, they were at that time getting ready to leave. I didn't text him again and heard nothing from him. They didn't get here until 9:35. By that time I had already started giving kids a snack and changing them out of their swim suits. We didn't go to the splash pad.
DCD said dcg was being a slow poke.

On a side note, I will not allow early drop off again without a fee. They were disrespectful with my time.
storybookending 10:00 AM 08-19-2017
I would have just left with a note on the door stating something like "daycare is gone on our previously arranged field trip". I would not have let the other kids miss out because of a parent being late. If I was feeling real generous I would maybe send a text stating "we are leaving for our previously arranged field trip at 9AM, feel free to drop dcg off at the splash pad ready for water play and sunscreened. We will return at 11AM."
sharlan 10:03 AM 08-19-2017
I warn all parents that I am very strict on my departure times for outings.

If I say I'm leaving at 9AM, I am in the car and pulling out of the driveway at 9:05AM. I will not wait for parents. If they call and say they're on their way, I let them know where we'll be.

NO EXCEPTIONS!
sharlan 10:04 AM 08-19-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I would have just left with a note on the door stating something like "daycare is gone on our previously arranged field trip". I would not have let the other kids miss out because of a parent being late. If I was feeling real generous I would maybe send a text stating "we are leaving for our previously arranged field trip at 9AM, feel free to drop dcg off at the splash pad ready for water play and sunscreened. We will return at 11AM."
I wouldn't leave a note on the door. That's asking for trouble.

I would have just left.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:12 AM 08-19-2017
There is no way i would have cancelled the trip because of one child. He would have showed up to an empty house!
Josiegirl 10:13 AM 08-19-2017
Did he at least apologize?? I hope you let him know how his lateness affected everyone. And I agree with the PPs; next time leave anyways and when you text them, tell them you're leaving at the scheduled time. Why inconvenience all of your group instead of 1 disrespectful and terribly rude parent???
jacksmommy13 11:50 AM 08-19-2017
He did apologize but he shrugged and said she was being a slow poke. I let them know we had to skip the field trip. I felt terrible for the other kids. I'm going to leave as planned next time and just give a quick text to say we left and where to drop off.
sharlan 12:00 PM 08-19-2017
Apologies mean nothing anymore, they're just words.

I've left several times and parents had to bring the kid to me or stay home. I will not punish the children who's parents listen.
flying_babyb 05:18 PM 08-19-2017
I worked at a home center for awile as a assistant. We put up a note that said "we are on our feild trip please call if you need us." worked well, most of the parents who were late never showed. I also did this a few months ago when I took the kids into the basement for a tornado (cause well, i saw rocks flying around) and when I took my ONLY dck for a long neighborhood walk.
daycare 05:19 PM 08-19-2017
girl you are way to nice. I would have been so mad, but then again, I would have not waited either.

I would tell dcd that due to the lack of respect of showing up late, causing all of the children to miss the field trip, their child will no longer be allowed to attend on field trip days. Re-schedule another one and then you don't have to worry about her. I would also be letting DCM know.

this dad sounds like a dad that I have and he doesn't care about anyone but him and his child. I have to tell the DCM and I feel silly becase I feel like I am tattle tellings, but it is the only way that I can get through to the dad. DCM gets so so so mad at him for all the dumb stuff he does.

this was just down right disrespectful. I feel sad you all didn't get to go. what disappointment to all of the rest.
Love 11:51 AM 08-25-2017
How rude! I would have let him know in a very upset tone that because he was late we couldnt go on the trip. I hate when parents use their kid is slow excuse...just grab your kid and put them in the car!
KSDC 04:54 PM 08-29-2017
I wouldn't have waited. When it was time to leave, I would have sent a text to DCD. "Leaving for our field trip. Feel free to bring Johnnie to the splashpad. Be sure he is in his suit and has sunscreen on before you drop him!"
daycarediva 06:38 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I warn all parents that I am very strict on my departure times for outings.

If I say I'm leaving at 9AM, I am in the car and pulling out of the driveway at 9:05AM. I will not wait for parents. If they call and say they're on their way, I let them know where we'll be.

NO EXCEPTIONS!

Yup. dcd would have received a warning text "If you aren't here by X we are leaving for our field trip." and that was IT. NO WAY!
SunflowerMeadow 08:03 AM 08-30-2017
Yes, I would've left as well and put a sign on the front door stating that we have left for our field trip and that (either: call or text for our exact location to bring the child or see you your next day)
Tags:fall season, field trip
Reply Up