Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Items to Bring For First Day of Daycare
storybookending 08:58 PM 08-22-2017
I'm just wondering if anyone has a specific list of what they require for each child to bring when they start daycare.

Currently I require all children have a change of clothing, including socks and a bottle of children's tylonel. Parents must also supply me with diapers in their current size (at least a sleeve but a box is preferred) and a package of wipes.

My baby of the daycare is 9 months old. His mom brought me an entire case of wipes when he started in February and has only had to restock once so far. Would asking for a case upfront be too much? Storage is not an issue in my house at this point in my life. I have one daycare girl that currently has 3 boxes of diapers here because mom just buys them whenever Target runs their good sale.

I was wondering if anyone added items such as bibs or burp cloths to their list? I'm also thinking about requiring 2 nuks to be left at daycare if their infant uses one. I was also toying with the idea of parents leaving both a sun and a winter hat/mittens here as well.

I shouldn't have an infant starting for quite awhile assuming nothing happens with any of my current daycare families but I'm working on putting together a portfolio/welcome packetish type of binder.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
flying_babyb 10:48 PM 08-22-2017
ah the list:
Diapers (at least a weeks supply so around 30. figure 10 hrs, changed every 2 hrs, for 7 days. We do 7 days so we always have extras)
Two packs of wipes
three bottles
two nuks (to be left at daycare)
blanket or lovie
three changes of clothing (trust me, there are days where two are not enough)
forumla (if not using daycare brand)

seasonally:
sun screen
hat
winter:
mittens and a hat

We supply bib and burp cloths
Michael 01:10 AM 08-23-2017
Here is another 1st Day Supplies thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29589
Snowmom 06:25 AM 08-23-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I'm just wondering if anyone has a specific list of what they require for each child to bring when they start daycare.

Currently I require all children have a change of clothing, including socks and a bottle of children's tylonel. Parents must also supply me with diapers in their current size (at least a sleeve but a box is preferred) and a package of wipes.

My baby of the daycare is 9 months old. His mom brought me an entire case of wipes when he started in February and has only had to restock once so far. Would asking for a case upfront be too much? Storage is not an issue in my house at this point in my life. I have one daycare girl that currently has 3 boxes of diapers here because mom just buys them whenever Target runs their good sale.

I was wondering if anyone added items such as bibs or burp cloths to their list? I'm also thinking about requiring 2 nuks to be left at daycare if their infant uses one. I was also toying with the idea of parents leaving both a sun and a winter hat/mittens here as well.

I shouldn't have an infant starting for quite awhile assuming nothing happens with any of my current daycare families but I'm working on putting together a portfolio/welcome packetish type of binder.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
I would mention that it's ok to bring an entire box of wipes or diapers or as many/much as they like. But I don't think I'd require it. Supplies are expensive and although buying in bulk is the cheaper, the money upfront can be hard for some. So, I think mentioning that they CAN is a good route.

As far as what I myself require: I only require the consumables: diapers, preferred wipes or formula (if not using generic) and back up clothes/underwear.

If they ask about bibs, pacifiers, blankets, etc, I tell them that they can bring some, but they will stay here. They would become a donation. Because, I don't want to deal with finding lost items, returning in the same or decent condition or worrying about whose is whose after they outgrow them.
I'd rather buy my own and write it off!
Leigh 08:00 AM 08-23-2017
I require 1 change of clothing for kids over 2, 3 changes of clothing for under 2. That's it. I supply everything else. I raised my rates a bit to cover expenses, and I actually make a profit off this. My parents are happy that they don't have to bring things to daycare and I'm happy that I don't have to beg parents to bring supplies for their kids or deal with keeping items separate.
storybookending 08:01 AM 08-23-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I would mention that it's ok to bring an entire box of wipes or diapers or as many/much as they like. But I don't think I'd require it. Supplies are expensive and although buying in bulk is the cheaper, the money upfront can be hard for some. So, I think mentioning that they CAN is a good route.

As far as what I myself require: I only require the consumables: diapers, preferred wipes or formula (if not using generic) and back up clothes/underwear.

If they ask about bibs, pacifiers, blankets, etc, I tell them that they can bring some, but they will stay here. They would become a donation. Because, I don't want to deal with finding lost items, returning in the same or decent condition or worrying about whose is whose after they outgrow them.
I'd rather buy my own and write it off!
I think I will go those route with the diapers and wipes. Tell them they are welcome to bring an entire case and emphasize that it is to their convenience as I won't be bothering them as much.

I only asked about the burp rags and bibs as my last two infants were both chronic spit upers and droolers and man did they do a number on the supplies I supplied. I was thinking of requiring 5 or 10 of each and putting in a clause that they become items of the daycare that I will launder to cut down on the back and forth. Again spinning the convenience angle. I'm not looking (nor do I have the available space for an infant for quite awhile. Looking at the possibility of May 2018. The child I'll be looking at starting is family and the parents have money. Might be taking advantage a bit but I know they'll supply whatever I ask of them.

Pacifiers I mentioned because my current youngest had one and had the most forgetful parents ever. I ended up keeping two here, one for his pnp and one kept outside in the shed in his outdoor pnp because he takes his last nap during our outside time. Once he became mobile I restricted pacifiers to only when sleeping and I'm planning on taking that away soon too as I feel he can handle it.
Unregistered 02:58 PM 08-23-2017
Our state doesn't allow any type of medication to be brought to dc unless they have a medication form on file and it is in its regular container and we are only allowed to give it at a certain time unless otherwise specified.

Also, if a parent or guardian sneaks it into their diaper bag, we are also required to put it into a ziploc bag and lock it up and then at the end of the day, they can ask for it
Blackcat31 03:16 PM 08-23-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Our state doesn't allow any type of medication to be brought to dc unless they have a medication form on file and it is in its regular container and we are only allowed to give it at a certain time unless otherwise specified.

Also, if a parent or guardian sneaks it into their diaper bag, we are also required to put it into a ziploc bag and lock it up and then at the end of the day, they can ask for it
I don't allow ANY medication (other than lifesaving such as an inhaler or epi pen) to be brought to the daycare. Period.

Not even antibiotics. Even at 3X a day, parents can manage on their watch and leave me out of it.

I also don't allow diaper bags to be brought in or left here.

Car seats on site are also not allowed. Parents that have more than one person picking up and dropping off need to have a plan for the exchange of car seats or have more than one.

Parents here bring an extra set of clothing, a jacket, socks and swim suits/towels (summer months) and all the normal winter gear in the winter months. Each child has their own locker and cubby basket for storage. Each family with a child in diapers must bring one package of diapers each month and ALL families must bring one refill package of wet wipes on the first of each month, whether their child is in diapers or not as we use wet wipes for a lot of things.

Parents of infants must bring 2 NIB bottles and 2 NIB pacifiers to be left at daycare.

Children that require a blanket must bring AND leave one here. NO back and forth between here and home.

I want parents to remember their kid only and not stress about the day to day stuff that little ones need.

I supply everything else.
hwichlaz 03:19 PM 08-23-2017
Diapers
a large wipes refill (replace every month on tuition day)
a change of clothes, complete
Spray sunscreen (to add to my stash)
a face stick of sun screen (with child's name on it)
Tags:first day - ideas, first day - supplies
Reply Up