Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those of You That Hold Spots During the Summers
momma2girls 10:58 AM 08-09-2010
Ok, my question to all us daycare providers out there- how do you handle the teacher's summers off, or anyone wanting summers off? Do you hold their spot at all? What with? Do you they want you to babysit for them in equal for that weekly fee? I have to change my contract, just wondering how and what to do next yr. Thanks!!!
Golden Rule 11:19 AM 08-09-2010
I cannot afford to "hold" spots. I explain this to parents in the interview. I have a strict "Vacation Policy. I can give up to two weeks, unpaid vacation, per family, per year with a 30 day notice.

I give them my calendar every January for the following year which already includes my unpaid vacation weeks (wish I had the backbone to fix that....grrr.. I hardly ever close.). Most just plan their vacations during that time.

I am required to give them a 30 day notice as well if I need to close, for something upcoming that I did not know about in January, so I do not feel I am being unfair to expect the same. I need that time to arrange how to pay up my bills when losing income (some times that requires lots of creative thinking which I am usually too tired to do these days).

(Not to hijack, but be sure to word your contract that "Summer Vacation" and "Maternity Leave" are the same "Vacation Policy". I am being bitten by this now.... I have one mom whom is a bit peeved that I cannot "let her have her maternity leave" for 10 weeks.....since she has to "pay more when she comes back" and needs the time to "save up for that". I already give a 1/2 price break for second child and would be taking a double hit....for a couple years!!! She still feels I am unfair. I'll let you know how this works out, but it isn't going to be pretty...)
JenNJ 12:03 PM 08-09-2010
I am going to have this issue next summer because I have a teachers family starting this September. I *think* I am going to require half pay for half the contracted time. If not, they have to take their chances.
momma2girls 12:59 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I am going to have this issue next summer because I have a teachers family starting this September. I *think* I am going to require half pay for half the contracted time. If not, they have to take their chances.
For 1/2 the rate, are you going to allow them to come 1/2 the time- 2 1/2 days then?
JenNJ 01:13 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
For 1/2 the rate, are you going to allow them to come 1/2 the time- 2 1/2 days then?
Yes. I think that is pretty fair. I always get a TON of calls in June, so it shouldn't be a problem to fill a space if they don't want to hold the space.
mac60 01:40 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I don't think I would let them make the choice and take their chances. I think I would tell them *** amount to hold the spot through the summer or else the spot is going to be filled by someone else. I would not let them hold out for the summer for free.
Abigail 03:10 PM 08-09-2010
Can anyone post what their contract says about holding spots or vacation time specifically? I was asked yesterday (when talking about my future daycare) what I would do for a teacher's family during the summer months. I know I need to put this in my contract from the beginning and would love to read what anyone else has in their contract about it.

If it's half price June-August, do I hold spots for certains days/hours for them or just give a really low fee to hold the spot and temporarily fill it with another full time during those months and have the teacher's family call to see if I have a spot on the days they want for a daily rate? Not to sound too confusing, but when my spots are limited, so is my income.
mac60 04:57 PM 08-09-2010
HOLIDAYS AND VACATIONS

 I WILL BE CLOSED THE FOLLOWING HOLIDAYS:

 New Years Day (or whatever day is celebrated if falls on a weekend day)
 Memorial Day
 July 4 th (or whatever day is celebrated if falls on a weekend day)
 Labor Day
 Thanksgiving and Friday after
 December 24, 25, 26. (Christmas week is subject to change depending on how many people need childcare that week).

 Payment is expected whether the child is here or not. Sick days, vacations, and holidays listed above are included. This includes Christmas week and Thanksgiving week. This applies to part time children also.

 For example—if your child is normally here Monday-Wednesday-Friday (3 days per week) and 1 of those days is a holiday, payment is expected for 3 days, should you choose to change your days for the week and bring your child Tuesday-Wednesday-Friday, payment would then be expected for 4 days.

Another example—if your child is normally here 3 days per week and one of those days the child is sick, a parent takes a vacation day, or for some other reason does not come, payment is still expected for 3 days.

 I will take 3 weeks vacation through the year. Normally these are taken during the summer, but I reserve the right to take them as needed throughout the year. There may be times where I will take the vacation days on a Friday or Monday to make a long weekend. I will give you my schedule by April 15 for summer weeks off. I do not charge for my 3 vacation weeks.

 There may be some years I choose to not take 3 weeks vacation off. I reserve the right to take or not take vacation time.

PART TIME CHILDREN

If your child is part time, and the days vary from week to week, please provide a schedule for me that covers at least two weeks at a time.

Should your child be on a schedule that varies week to week, there is a 3 day per week minimum rate. For example--if your child is normally here 3 days per week and 1 week you only need childcare for 2 days, payment will still be expected for 3 days.

MATERNITY LEAVE, EXTENDED SICK LEAVE, LEAVE OF ABSENCE (parent or child)

I do not offer an unpaid maternity leave, extended sick leave, or leave of absence for families because my business and my income are based on my enrollment at all times. I do offer to keep the spot open for you using the following guidelines. While payment is expected whether the child is here or not, I do offer a reduced rate for parents on maternity leave, extended sick leave, or leave of absence.

 If your child is normally here 4 or 5 days per week----I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks at $40 per week. You may continue to bring your child during these weeks 2 days a week for this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 2 days per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

 If your child is here 3 days a week ----I will hold the spot open for up to 12 weeks for $30. per week. You may bring your child 1 day per week at this rate. If you would like to continue to bring your child more than 1 day per week during this time, the regular daily rate will apply.

 School age children: $25 per week will be charged to hold their spot.

 If additional time off is needed, please let me know, I am sure we can work out an agreement.

 The hold the spot rates above are based on 1 child per family, it will increase the more children I am holding the spot for.
Abigail 08:44 PM 08-09-2010
Wow, part-time care seems confusing for the rates. I sure hope I can keep things simple with a limited enrollment that I only allow full-time. Has anyone ever had a family for an extended sick leave?--What was the reason?

I should consider adding extended sick leave to my contract. I think 12 weeks seems like a long time, do you think 4 or 6 weeks is still acceptable? Would that be long enough for a new mom to keep her kids home during maternity leave?
mac60 02:54 AM 08-10-2010
Maternity leave used to be 6 weeks. Now it is 12, and most parents milk it to the max. Actually my part time rate is quite simple. I have a 3 day minimum. What prompted me to add the statement on the part time care was: I had a family that was here Mon Thurs Fri, everytime there was a Monday holiday, she conveniently change her Mon to Tues, hence her getting an extra day and me not getting my holiday pay. I put a stop to that by putting in this policy, and they dropped me which was fine. They were a pain in the ass and challenged me on everything. Glad to have them bite the dust.

Here we pretty much have to have a part time rate too. I know things work different in different areas.
Tags:holding spot, vacation policy
Reply Up