Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Favorite Children’s Book?
PitterPatter 05:13 PM 04-12-2011
I just thought of this reading the other book thread. I have an absolute favorite book and I was wondering what everyone elses was. Care to share?

My favorite all time book is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. I have read that to my son since he was a tiny baby. We still read it once in a while and he's 9. We have it memorized now of course
MsMe 05:17 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
I just thought of this reading the other book thread. I have an absolute favorite book and I was wondering what everyone elses was. Care to share?

My favorite all time book is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. I have read that to my son since he was a tiny baby. We still read it once in a while and he's 9. We have it memorized now of course
Me too! I give it as a gift at every baby shower I go to!
PitterPatter 05:27 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by LLD:
Me too! I give it as a gift at every baby shower I go to!
ME TOO!!

I usually make a basket with a crochet blanket or crochet sweater/booties, some other odds and ends and that book!
MsMe 05:29 PM 04-12-2011
ME TOO!!

I usually make a basket with a crochet blanket or crochet sweater/booties, some other odds and ends and that book!
HAHA I always knit a pair of booties to go along with the book!!!
Luna 05:35 PM 04-12-2011
I canNOT read that book all the way through without crying! Another one we love is "Good Families Don't", also by Robert Munsch.
PitterPatter 05:49 PM 04-12-2011
HAHA I always knit a pair of booties to go along with the book!!!

That's so cool!! They say great minds think alike!
PitterPatter 05:54 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Luna:
I canNOT read that book all the way through without crying! Another one we love is "Good Families Don't", also by Robert Munsch.
Is that the 1 where it teaches it's ok to fart?

I actually had a client 4 yrs ago that made her kids go to the restroom when they had to fart! I told them it was ok to fart in front of me just excuse yourself.
MsMe 05:57 PM 04-12-2011

That's so cool!! They say great minds think alike!
i wish my mind thought like yours. My crochet skills are VERY basic. Knitting came very easy to me I have been thinking about buying the 'teach yourself to crochet' book (i taught my self knittting with the knitting counterpart) bc I just bought a really cool blue yar bc it had the cutest baby 'boots' on the package....imagine my disipoint when I got home and the pattern was crochet only bummer
daycare 05:58 PM 04-12-2011
The giving tree....
PitterPatter 06:33 PM 04-12-2011
i wish my mind thought like yours. My crochet skills are VERY basic. Knitting came very easy to me I have been thinking about buying the 'teach yourself to crochet' book (i taught my self knittting with the knitting counterpart) bc I just bought a really cool blue yar bc it had the cutest baby 'boots' on the package....imagine my disipoint when I got home and the pattern was crochet only bummer
I taught myself to crochet but I can't knit unless on a loom lol We should get together and teach each other!
marniewon 07:27 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Luna:
I also love this book but can't even THINK about it without getting teary-eyed .
ammama 07:53 PM 04-12-2011
I love Goodnight Moon. Another of my favorites is by Mem Fox, called Time for Bed. I don't actually have it anymore, but I still remember it off by heart, and recite parts of it often to my kids.
"It's time for bed little mouse, little mouse. Darkness is falling all over the house."

hmm, my favorite books seem to have a 'going to bed' theme. Wonder what that means, lol.
TBird 04:24 AM 04-13-2011
I like "Shades of Black - A Celebration of our Children". I also like any childrens' book with old nursery rhymes in it....they make me cry.
lil angels 04:30 AM 04-13-2011
We love to read the little critter books any of them.
godiva83 04:57 AM 04-13-2011
I am so excited to go look for the book, "Good Families Don't," I have never heard of it!
My favorite is, "OH the places you'll go." By Dr.Zeuss. Such an inspirational book I love reading it to my kids and giving it as gifts.
Meeko 06:39 AM 04-13-2011
LOVE Robert Munsch!!!

Always cry when I read Love You Forever and I still giggle when I read The Paper Bag Princess (I laughed out loud when I read it for the first time as it was so unexpected!). That man has such a yummy imagination!!
Evansmom 06:49 AM 04-13-2011
I've been reading "Love You Forever" out loud to children for more than 15 years and I STILL can not get through that darn thing without my voice cracking and tearing up!!!

I can't pick a favorite children's book b/c I have so many favorites for so many different reasons. In fact my nursery theme for my 3rd child was to order used copies of some of my favorties that I read with my older children and have our favorite pages matted and framed.

Some of my favorites are:

Owen by Kevin Henkes
Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmens
Goodnight moon of course and The Runaway Bunny
Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathman
Hooway for Wodney Wat by Helen Lester
Anything that Dr. Seuss has written
The classic Winnie the Pooh
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
The Little Snowgirl by Carolyn Croll
Zoe's Sheep by Rose Bursik

I can go on and on...you should see our children's book collection. I have a FULL old TV cabinet, 6 shelves of our library full of them, and a shelf in my kitchen plus the two shelves in the play room and I am always at the library getting more!

Has anyone read "Willoughby and the Lion" by Greg Foley recently? I think it's a newish book. My 3yo LOVES it so much I think we will have to buy it. And has a wonderful message.
thecrazyisout 10:42 AM 04-13-2011
First thing that comes to mind....for now:

Mayday to the Rescue...I have gone through three of these...the kids read it over and over and over...it is pop up, so you cant leave it with a toddler alone, that's what i did... here is the link on amazon, some of the pages are shown....

My son reads it 10 times a day right now and he is 20 months..so I have memorized the book by now.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayday-Rescue-.../dp/1571459146

nannyde 10:45 AM 04-13-2011
No David is our fave.

My kids know what NO means ;-)
gkids09 11:27 AM 04-13-2011
HONESTLY?? My daycare kids LOVE LOVE LOVE Junie B. Jones. (We don't use the words that SHE says, so instead of the first one "Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus," we read "Junie B. Jones and the SILLY Smelly Bus")

Even though there are very few pictures, I read it to them with SO MUCH drama, they can't take their eyes off of it for a second! lol I am sure it's hilarious to watch and listen to me read any of them, and I have one little dcg who does the faces I make with me...

Same dcg went to a book store with her parents the other night (just turned 3 years old), RAN to the bookshelf, and said "MAMA!!! It's Junie B. Jones!!!!"

Some other favorites:
Chrysanthemum
ANY books about tractors
ANY books about bugs
ANY books about animals of any kind

We have TONS of books, and they would sit all day to let me read to them if we could! I would love to have them all bring their favorite book to read one day!
Meeko 11:54 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No David is our fave.

My kids know what NO means ;-)
Love that one too. My husband's name is David and my MIL says it was written for him!!! He once sneaked out of the house when he was about 5. He went up the road to Burger King because...according to him....he was hungry. He was also naked............the police officer who brought him home couldn't stop laughing........ (this was in the days when folks didn't worry so much about kidnapping etc.)
daycare 11:59 AM 04-13-2011
OMGosh tears for days right now..

So I decided to show the kids I love you forever video on youtube.

One of my DCB age 4.5 says when its over, Miss***X I am so sad. I asked him why.... He said my grandpa went to heave last week and my daddy said he won't buy me a plane ticket to heaven to go see him...........

Yes I am still crying.................
AfterSchoolMom 05:35 PM 04-13-2011
Mine are Good Night Moon and Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? I can recite them both from memory.
PitterPatter 05:59 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
OMGosh tears for days right now..

So I decided to show the kids I love you forever video on youtube.

One of my DCB age 4.5 says when its over, Miss***X I am so sad. I asked him why.... He said my grandpa went to heave last week and my daddy said he won't buy me a plane ticket to heaven to go see him...........

Yes I am still crying.................
Awww how precious!!

I always wondered how Robert Munsch actually sang the song. I jsut now found out after all these years! It's better than my version but my son just said he preferes mine. (protecting my feelings perhaps lol) Anyway thought I would share in case anyone else wondered as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFX6p...feature=fvwrel
Maddy'sMommy 06:27 PM 04-13-2011
I love the Madeline books. (also my daughter's name, lol)

Also Clifford the Big Red Dog, and Are you my Mother.
Meyou 01:31 AM 04-14-2011
For anyone that likes Goodnight Moon there is a halloween version called Goodnight Goon that my kids love.

My favorites are:

Over in the Meadow (It's a goldern book)
Red Fish Blue Fish
The little critter books
The robert Muench books

Robert Muench used to come to my school every year when I was little and read to us. It was one of my favorite days of the year for all of elementary school. There is nothing like a RB book read by RB. I wish he still went to schools.
Former Teacher 06:02 PM 04-14-2011
I have a silly question.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE! Love You Forever book. My niece is expecting her first baby. She is expecting a girl. Would you give this book even though its about a boy?

There is a book called Someday by Alison McGee that they say is the girl's version of LYF. However I have never read it so I don't know.

Any ideas?
PitterPatter 04:12 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I have a silly question.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE! Love You Forever book. My niece is expecting her first baby. She is expecting a girl. Would you give this book even though its about a boy?

There is a book called Someday by Alison McGee that they say is the girl's version of LYF. However I have never read it so I don't know.

Any ideas?
If it were me I would still give it simply because it's a wonderful story. It doesn't have to be geared towards her. When Mom reads it she could even chage it up if she wanted to. I have never read Someday so I couldn't tell ya anything about that 1. Maybe check it out at the library before u decide.
Zoe 07:13 AM 04-15-2011
Go, Dog, Go
Any Berenstain Bears book
The Lorax
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
The Mitten
Are You My Mother?
Hooway for Wodney Wat

Just a select few. I've got so many books that I need to get a second bookshelf for my kids
Kaddidle Care 03:04 PM 04-15-2011
I work with 4-5 year old PreK's - their favorite book is the Three Nasty Gnarlies: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Nasty-Gn...p/0439240905#_

I like it because they like it.
Tags:book suggestions, books
Reply Up