Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle>Whole Milk/2%/1%
Unregistered 07:26 AM 06-02-2011
I provided whole milk to my infants until my own son turned two and our dr told us to switch him to 2%, 1% or skim. I now provide only 1% which is our families preferred. I have one child in care who just turned 1. Should I provide whole to this child only? It is more expensive, and we have a small fridge so I don't really have room to have enough milk for my other 7 dck and then an extra whole milk for the only infant. Unless I only have 1 for dck and then have to go to the store 2-3x per week to pick up another one.

Does your food program require whole for your 1 yr olds? Do you think its out of line to only offer what works for my family? Would you be mad if your provider didnt offer whole to your 1 yr old?
nannyde 07:42 AM 06-02-2011
whole till they are two
Cat Herder 07:44 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
whole till they are two
Ditto
Lilbutterflie 07:45 AM 06-02-2011
Yup, whole milk until they are two. You can try just buying a half gallon or pint at a time if you don't have room.
Meyou 07:57 AM 06-02-2011
I serve whole milk to all the kids, my own 7 and 12 year old included. But I have a bunch of very active, skinny minis who can use the extra fat.
WDW 07:59 AM 06-02-2011
Whole til 2 is across the board advice, but more and more drs. are recommending 2% younger than that. I personally would (and did) ask my parents. Most of them wanted 2% by about 18 months, as that is what their drs. suggested. I buy a half gallon of whole for the one family who wanted whole.
Cat Herder 08:08 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
Whole til 2 is across the board advice, .
Quick clarification: This is not advice, it is mandated for Registered/Licensed Childcare Providers.
bice99 08:33 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I serve whole milk to all the kids, my own 7 and 12 year old included. But I have a bunch of very active, skinny minis who can use the extra fat.
I do exactly the same for my own 9 and 6 year olds. They need the extra calories/fat. I just buy whole and skim. If a kid needs 2%, I mix half and half
jojosmommy 08:39 AM 06-02-2011
I just talked to my food program lady and she said it is recommeded but not required they have whole until 2 however all kids 2 and older will be REQUIRED to be on 1% or skim starting October 1st of this year. Interesting. Likely because of all the obesity in kids I guess.

Has anyone else heard about this upcoming requirement?
jen2651 09:14 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I just talked to my food program lady and she said it is recommeded but not required they have whole until 2 however all kids 2 and older will be REQUIRED to be on 1% or skim starting October 1st of this year. Interesting. Likely because of all the obesity in kids I guess.

I have a family on WIC and the mom was telling me that for her 3 year old WIC will only allow her to buy skim or 1%...the coupons aren't even valid to purchase anything different. It will be interesting to see what happens next month when her son turns 1...will she get coupons for 1% and whole?!
GretasLittleFriends 09:18 AM 06-02-2011
I have a friend who is on wic and her little one is about 14 months. Her vouchers say whole/2%/1%/skim. She only has the one child. Not sure how that'd work for both kids. They may just change all the milk to whole/2/1/s...
nannyde 09:55 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
I have a family on WIC and the mom was telling me that for her 3 year old WIC will only allow her to buy skim or 1%...the coupons aren't even valid to purchase anything different. It will be interesting to see what happens next month when her son turns 1...will she get coupons for 1% and whole?!
WIC changed here too BUT it was a way to cut the money from the program. The change down to skim milk or 1 percent saves WIC MILLIONS of dollars a year.
nannyde 09:58 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:

If they really wanted to tackle obesity in kids one of the first moves they need to make is allow ONLY single ingredient foods to be purchased by food stamps.

Big agriculture will never go for that though. It would cut into the corn based foods. Monstanto wouldn't play that.
jojosmommy 10:31 AM 06-02-2011
If they really wanted to tackle obesity in kids one of the first moves they need to make is allow ONLY single ingredient foods to be purchased by food stamps.

Big agriculture will never go for that though. It would cut into the corn based foods. Monstanto wouldn't play that.
I agree! And not allow purchases of pop/chips etc with the "extra" money they are provided on their EBT cards. I have never figured out what that "extra" money is supposed to be for as I have NEVER ONCE seen someone using it for quality foods like fruits/veggies.
MommyMuffin 10:37 AM 06-02-2011
I have a child that needs whole milk and only comes everyother week.

What I do is buy a smaller size of milk container and at the end of the week I give it to the mom to take home and use. That way the milk doesnt go to waste. His mom is also unemployed and a single mother so it is kinda like charity!
momofsix 10:40 AM 06-02-2011
WIC changed here too BUT it was a way to cut the money from the program. The change down to skim milk or 1 percent saves WIC MILLIONS of dollars a year.
That's so strange b/c here it doesn't matter the fat content of your milk-it's all the same price

Did anyone read the recent news articles about the whole milk being better for weight loss than skim? I only skimmed (no pun intended) it, but I think it was saying that the natural fats in milk were healthy for us, and taking them out/changing the milk made it worse for weight loss! If anyone read it or has the link I would like to have that info-thanks!
MyAngels 10:47 AM 06-02-2011
See page 32 of this publication: http://teamnutrition.usda.gov/Resources/blocks2.pdf. Whole milk is no longer a requirement for the federal CACFP, though quite a few pediatricians still recommend it for children up to 2.

I use my best judgment when providing milk for the little ones, almost always serving whole milk until at least 1 year of age, lowering it to 2 or 1 percent milk after that, unless they are skinny minis or requested specifically by a parent.
SunflowerMama 10:54 AM 06-02-2011
All my kids are over 2 and we do organic skim for everyone...my family included. Before 2 I do whole or 2% depending on the child.
meganlavonnesmommy 11:08 AM 06-02-2011
I buy 3 different kinds of milk each week! CRAZY!
I buy 1% for my family, and whole for my own daughter. My daughter's dr
has told us to use whole milk, even tho she is 9, because she is severely
underweight and we are trying to get her to gain some.
I also buy soymilk for two DCK that are lactose intolerant.
I just give the other daycare kids the whole, unless I am out, then
I use the 1%. I usually have to go to the store twice a week, once on the
weekends for a big trip, then once during the week for milk and fruit.
My whole bottom shelf of the fridge is milk!

I dont have any under 2 DCK, but when I did, I always gave them whole milk. I seem to remember our food program required it.
Michael 12:17 PM 06-02-2011
We've been feeding our own children raw milk for 12 years. It's the raw cream that is good for them. They are thin and the fat is not an issue with unpasteurized dairy. I believe only a few states allow it.
nannyde 12:43 PM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
We've been feeding our own children raw milk for 12 years. It's the raw cream that is good for them. They are thin and the fat is not an issue with unpasteurized dairy. I believe only a few states allow it.
I wish we could do that here.

Here you can't sell it but it can be "given" or "bartered". You can buy a share of a milk cow and get your share of the milk.

I would switch to that in a heartbeat with grassfed cow milk.

I couldn't feed it to the kids but I could my own kid.

I grew up on this kind of milk. We loved to be the first to the gallon.
Michael 01:57 PM 06-02-2011
I wish we could do that here.

Here you can't sell it but it can be "given" or "bartered". You can buy a share of a milk cow and get your share of the milk.

I would switch to that in a heartbeat with grassfed cow milk.

I couldn't feed it to the kids but I could my own kid.

I grew up on this kind of milk. We loved to be the first to the gallon.
Our kids have NEVER gotten sick from raw milk. They drink it every day. I wish we could live on a farm. Bottom line: Always know where your food/product comes from; how the animal is fed and cared for; how the product is brought to market.

Many would be surprised to that process in how our regular grocery stores products are managed and delivered. Granted, the raw/grass-fed/cage-free/fertile/organic products are more expensive but we hardly ever get sick and never take medication unless it is a dire situation. I can go on about this all day. It is a commitment to our future wellbeing and saves us a lot of money in the long run.
nannyde 02:13 PM 06-02-2011
Our kids have NEVER gotten sick from raw milk. They drink it every day. I wish we could live on a farm. Bottom line: Always know where your food/product comes from; how the animal is fed and cared for; how the product is brought to market.

Many would be surprised to that process in how our regular grocery stores products are managed and delivered. Granted, the raw/grass-fed/cage-free/fertile/organic products are more expensive but we hardly ever get sick and never take medication unless it is a dire situation. I can go on about this all day. It is a commitment to our future wellbeing and saves us a lot of money in the long run.
See above

It's worth EVERY penny. I will never go back to the regular food system. It's money well spent. I would rather be poor than skimp on food.

I switched a little over a year ago and have kids that haven't missed a single day for being sick in the last fourteen months.

My son didn't miss a day of school this year.

Micheal does your family eat wild game?
jen2651 03:06 PM 06-02-2011
See above

It's worth EVERY penny. I will never go back to the regular food system. It's money well spent. I would rather be poor than skimp on food.

I switched a little over a year ago and have kids that haven't missed a single day for being sick in the last fourteen months.

It is so funny,I was just going to email Nanny D on this...

I just received a call from a family that only serves their kids milk from their farm (goat, dairy...depending on time of year). I know that I can't serve this to my daycare kids, but could they bring it in for themselves? I am not opposed, I just don't really want to mess up my food reimbursements.

Also, for those who use only non processed foods, would you be willing to send your menu? I am pretty/almost really good about it, but if this family were to come, I would need to change a few of the items in my rotation. I would love to see some of your menus for new ideas!

I have never served a chicken nugget to my kids, but I fear even my chili may be jeopardy of needing to be refined...I use canned beans as opposed to dry beans. I know, I shouldn't change anything for one family, but lets face it, I was using the cans because I am lazy!
Michael 03:13 PM 06-02-2011
See above

Yes, I do. I sometimes hunt. I am not an outback person though. I lived in NYC and Los Angeles so I like the dining out stuff "a lot".

There is a place near us called the Deer Lodge that is a biker/restaurant near Ojai/Sant Barbara and they sometime serve up wild game. Great place. Don't get me going on steak tartare!

Sorry, looks like I am hijacking my own form.
mac60 05:51 AM 06-03-2011
We gave our own children 2% per our physician, and that is all I will buy for my daycare. If parents want whole milk, they will have to provide it as needed each day. I don't have room for a separate gallon of whole milk. It's funny, cuz they will ask what I buy, and even if they give their kid whole, they are either too cheap or too lazy to bring it in.
My Daycare 06:27 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
We gave our own children 2% per our physician, and that is all I will buy for my daycare. If parents want whole milk, they will have to provide it as needed each day. I don't have room for a separate gallon of whole milk. It's funny, cuz they will ask what I buy, and even if they give their kid whole, they are either too cheap or too lazy to bring it in.
Same here, but I will also offer skim too because that is what I drink.

I do wish raw milk was not so inaccessible in my state too.
Country Kids 06:34 AM 06-03-2011
Just saw something interesting today on the news. A new strain of MRSA has been found in raw milk that isn't responding to antibotics. The only way they are seeing it going away is by pasturizing it. Not to start a huge debate but passing on what I saw for everyones safety.
Michael 04:00 PM 06-04-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Just saw something interesting today on the news. A new strain of MRSA has been found in raw milk that isn't responding to antibotics. The only way they are seeing it going away is by pasturizing it. Not to start a huge debate but passing on what I saw for everyones safety.

In my opinion the reasons the general public is experiencing these kinds or outbreaks is because we are overusing antibiotics and medication. Don't get me wrong, I've had bacterial pneumonia and a strong antibiotic was the magic in getting rid of it. It's important that we manage our immune systems. Afterall, it has had millions of years to adapt.

The free range, grass fed, antibiotic free cows have good immune systems and that is passed along in their milk. I would suggest you use the internet to read both sides of the debate. I can only say that going raw is a personal choice (it is important that we have choices available) and it is VERY important that you engage in your food source if you consider going raw. Here are some articles from both sides that make great points:

http://organicpastures.com/faq.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1736713,00.html

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm079516.htm

BTW, did you know most "fine" restaurants serve Steak Tartar: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=steadk+tartar&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACGW_en

Ever wonder why the rich are allowed to eat it and the CDC and FDA does not ban it?
nannyde 04:22 PM 06-04-2011
I can only say that going raw is a personal choice (it is important that we have choices available) and it is VERY important that you engage in your food source if you consider going raw.
Engaging in your food source is the very first step in the food journey. I know where all my food comes from. I don't worry about getting sick from the food. We switched to fully organic over a year ago and we haven't had any problem.
We've also gotten rid of 95 percent of the corn based products. We eat organic corn but we don't eat any animal fed on corn and I don't buy products containing corn.

It takes a lot of WORK to switch but it's so worth it... and the food is delicious.

Michael have you seen Food Inc.? It's the best tutorial on the food system I've seen yet. King Corn is my second fave.

The government can stay out of my relationship with the growers. I can manage that on my own thankyouverymuch I trust them way more than I trust Monsanto (the devil) and Big Ag
Michael 04:53 PM 06-04-2011
Engaging in your food source is the very first step in the food journey. I know where all my food comes from. I don't worry about getting sick from the food. We switched to fully organic over a year ago and we haven't had any problem.
We've also gotten rid of 95 percent of the corn based products. We eat organic corn but we don't eat any animal fed on corn and I don't buy products containing corn.

It takes a lot of WORK to switch but it's so worth it... and the food is delicious.

Michael have you seen Food Inc.? It's the best tutorial on the food system I've seen yet. King Corn is my second fave.

The government can stay out of my relationship with the growers. I can manage that on my own thankyouverymuch I trust them way more than I trust Monsanto (the devil) and Big Ag
King Corn interests me because I am allergic to wheat (celiac) and eat corn more often now. I will have to look that one up. Thanks
PitterPatter 08:19 PM 06-04-2011
Raw milk, is that straight from the cow? I rememeber being raised on that. It was fun to go to the farm and playing with all the animals, chickens, turkeys, even geese. We would pet the rabbits, ride a horse or a pony and actually watch the cows being milked by the machine. Then we would leave with a couple gallons of milk. I remember it cost $2 per gallon back then. What does it cost these days, dare I ask?
Tags:milk, raw foods
Reply Up